Wiki Posts
Search

SEA-BKK F/J Award Help: SPG, Chase UR, Amex MR

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
SEA-BKK F/J Award Help: SPG, Chase UR, Amex MR

We are celebrating a significant wedding anniversary and looking to travel SEA-BKK towards the end of November. Which airline is our best bet to secure two tickets in F or J? Which airline offers the best product on this itinerary? I have SPG, Chase UR and Amex MR points to use for this trip. Thanks in Advance.

Mods: I started with AA specific question but ended up with a general question. If its not appropriate for this forum, please move it.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Whatever award space you can find would be the best option IMO. I would start looking now.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Don't overlook YVR, lots of carriers fly to Asia from there. Just be careful, as JAL uses non flat seat in Biz as I understand it, and that would NOT be "the best product on this itinerary"

ANA on 787-9 is very nice, though IIRC it connects at HND (ex YVR, NRT ex SEA) and it's a redeye to BKK. OTOH, you could have a day in Tokyo, as it's an easy train ride from HND, unlike NRT @:-)
Old May 28, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
I would look into EVA J as well. They do a flight from SEA-TPE. UR to United is an easy method.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the quick responses. Even though I am considering last week of Nov, I do have flexibility on the timing. I understand availability is what matters at the end, but trying to go for the best product with in those available options. We have been to Tokyo before so maximizing the options. Is there a direct flight to/from Koh Samui from international destinations? I may want to look into flying there or getting out of there directly rather than going back to BKK to get out. We are looking at BKK, Koh Samui and Angkor Wat as the three locations for a 10 day trip.
Old May 28, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Be reminded that carriers JAL and Cathay Pacific are not searched online for awards by aa.com - call.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this is more about other instruments than AA, we’ve moved this to the Information Desk forum for broader input.

If AA upis under consideration because of SPG or ? see HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance.

Old May 28, 2018, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You need to search availability yourself and them decide on the combination that suits you best. We can neither invent flights, nor suggest which is the best for you.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ikonos
Thank you for the quick responses. Even though I am considering last week of Nov, I do have flexibility on the timing. I understand availability is what matters at the end, but trying to go for the best product with in those available options. We have been to Tokyo before so maximizing the options. Is there a direct flight to/from Koh Samui from international destinations? I may want to look into flying there or getting out of there directly rather than going back to BKK to get out. We are looking at BKK, Koh Samui and Angkor Wat as the three locations for a 10 day trip.
I don't know if there are nonstop flights from Tokyo to USM (I would doubt it) but in order to plan such a trip, you should start researching all of your options, which airlines fly where and how often. Look up which partners you can transfer each currency to, how much awards cost on each airline, etc. As far as products, most of the bloggers have reviewed the major carriers' J and F products so you easily be able to look up various products (CX vs BR vs OZ etc). With some research you can take the trip of a lifetime but it takes some time and work (or you can use any of the award booking agencies out there).

Last edited by no1cub17; May 28, 2018 at 3:52 pm
Old May 28, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ikonos
Alliance members that fly to usm are thai airways from BKK and Singapore airline (op by silk air) from SIN. Cathay dragon may have had a seasonal flight but I do not see it anymore. I'm headed to USM at the end of June and I did AA award lax-hkg-bkk, then just bought cash fare for bkk - usm on Bangkok airways as it was cheaper points wise than booking star alliance.
Old May 28, 2018, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aedion
Alliance members that fly to usm are thai airways from BKK and Singapore airline (op by silk air) from SIN. Cathay dragon may have had a seasonal flight but I do not see it anymore. I'm headed to USM at the end of June and I did AA award lax-hkg-bkk, then just bought cash fare for bkk - usm on Bangkok airways as it was cheaper points wise than booking star alliance.
Aedion, Did you book on CX metal? EY appears to be available as well few weeks out but am not sure if AA allows TA award to BKK. Which hotel are you going to?
Old May 28, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Is AS an option from your SPG stash?

If so, it's a very strong option for you here:

1) JL (searchable on AS website -- which of course you can then use to book with AA miles if needed)

2) KE via a few different places (with AS as the connection to LAX/SFO/YVR)

3) Hainan via PEK at 50k for J (though the random dates I searched only have J to PEK and then Y for the 5 hour flight to BKK)
Old May 28, 2018, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
Is AS an option from your SPG stash?

If so, it's a very strong option for you here:

1) JL (searchable on AS website -- which of course you can then use to book with AA miles if needed)

2) KE via a few different places (with AS as the connection to LAX/SFO/YVR)

3) Hainan via PEK at 50k for J (though the random dates I searched only have J to PEK and then Y for the 5 hour flight to BKK)
JL is absolutely possible and have been looking on BA and QF site out of YVR, SFO and LAX for the last couple hours. I did not know JL is searchable on AS website. Thanks for the suggestion. According to AS website KE charges like 120k points one way (I hope that is both ways) and if that is true, it is out. Don't know about Hainan but SO is apprehensive of secondary Chinese carriers after a bad trip on China Southern J last year.
Surprisingly EY with AA miles might be a possibility out of LAX, thought it is a longer route and I generally had decent experience with its J product.

Update: Just a FYI, AS mileage chart says JL one way award to Asia in J is 60k miles, but AS website booking system is calculating it at 65k miles. Is it just a scenario of AS not updating the award chart or reflection of an upcoming devaluation?

Last edited by ikonos; May 28, 2018 at 9:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.