Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

My Award Booking in J to Asia

Old May 21, 2018, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Hi.

I will be headed to Macau, Hong Kong and Taipei(in that order) the week before Thanksgiving with my SO. Based in SFO, there are quiet a bit of nonstop flights. What would you guys recommend in J for "good use of miles"? I've tried OZ J, BR J and SQ F recently, so I figure I'd try something new?

Points wise, here is what I have:
UR - ~500K
MR - ~220K
UA - ~250K
SPG - ~200K
AS - ~200K

- the first thing I thought about when I knew of this trip was. Great, CX J SFO-HKG(stopover + Macau)-TPE using AS, but I've looked on the BA website and there is no availability for my dates. I know EVA flies to Macau, so I tried using UA's site to book SFO-TPE-MFM, but there is also no availability as well. I also tried SFO-HKG via UA on the Polaris route, but no saver awards available.

Question: If I want to fly CX J from SFO-HKG(stopover + Macau)-TPE-HKG-SFO, is my only option to transfer MR to Asia Miles? Would this be a "good use of miles"? I don't know much about Asia Mile redemption.

Last edited by emofeng; May 21, 2018 at 9:41 am Reason: Found that Asia Miles will allow a stopover on roundtrip awards
Old May 22, 2018, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Isn't the question more in the direction of "whatever you can find is a good use of points...."? Sorry to be boring, but there's not much point in overcomplicating life if there are no seats available. Maybe start simple by looking at the first TPAC leg on all available airlines and going from there.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Isn't the question more in the direction of "whatever you can find is a good use of points...."? Sorry to be boring, but there's not much point in overcomplicating life if there are no seats available. Maybe start simple by looking at the first TPAC leg on all available airlines and going from there.
Yeah you are right. I'm making it too complicate for myself to find the "best deal out there". For this trip, it's really more about "what's available".
Old May 23, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: AC*SE, A3*G, AA-EP, UA*S,
Roundtrip in J when booked with NH is 95K, and NH is a transferrable partner from both MR and SPG. Try seeing if you can find star availability or NH flight from one of its west coast gateways(SJC/SFO/SEA/LAX/YVR) and then manually adding a domestic leg if thats available.

Note the NH award search tool tends to be more accurate than that of UA, and often shows availability on OZ that UA does not show IME.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.