Etihad/Alitalia mileage question help

Old Mar 14, 18, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: One World, Virgin

Im looking at the below fare:
Rome to Abu Dhabi on Alitalia 7040 Business (I) OPERATED BY ETIHAD
Abu Dhabi to Johannesburg on Etihad 604 Business (W)
When I check "where to credit" it says Alitalia in I has 300% credit on EY, but when I went to the Etihad website it says that I earns 0% miles. Can anyone advise which one is correct please?
As the flight from FCO - AUH is operated by EY (but Alitalia number) and the next day the flight from AUH - JNB is on EY would I be able to request the free stopover package? Or must it be Etihad flight number?

Thanks for any help
Old Mar 14, 18, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrwzee View Post
I'm looking at the below fare:
Rome to Abu Dhabi on Alitalia 7040 Business (I) OPERATED BY ETIHAD
Abu Dhabi to Johannesburg on Etihad 604 Business (W)

When I check "where to credit" it says Alitalia in I has 300% credit on EY, but when I went to the Etihad website it says that I earns 0% miles. Can anyone advise which one is correct please?

As the flight from FCO - AUH is operated by EY (but Alitalia number) and the next day the flight from AUH - JNB is on EY would I be able to request the free stopover package? Or must it be Etihad flight number?
If looking to credit to the Alitalia ffp you must look the Alitalia web site (not EY)
If looking to credit to the Etihad ffp you must look the Etihad web site (not AZ)
Earning on codeshares is problematic.
"where to credit" does not consider codeshares:- can be very complicated.
Some ffp's earnings are based on operating carrier/fare class and others on marketing carrier/fare class.
Fares class does not always map 1 to 1. Can be different (or the same) on the marketing & operating carrier .

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 14, 18 at 12:25 pm
Old Mar 14, 18, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: One World, Virgin
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
If looking to credit to the Alitalia ffp you must look the Alitalia web site (not EY)
If looking to credit to the Etihad ffp you must look the Etihad web site (not AZ)
Earning on codeshares is problematic.
"where to credit" does not consider codeshares:- can be very complicated
Looking to credit to EY. Need any advice from someone who has experience with these 2 airlines please

Search this Thread
Search Engine: