Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Using FF account with family member who shares the same name?

Old Feb 8, 18, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP Gold

So my father and I share the same name.

Therefore, in theory, could we basically "share" the same frequent flyer account?

I'm wondering if the TSA ID check or anything else will expose this if, for instance, he decides to purchase a ticket with my FF#.
Old Feb 8, 18, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Some carriers such as BA permit household accounts, so it does not matter whether your father has the same name. Other carriers prohibit it and it is fraud. It is a violation of FT rules to seek advice as to how to commit fraud/theft, so let's presume your carrier permits household accounts.
Old Feb 8, 18, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haven't you noticed that airlines for your date of birth? So it will stand out like a sore thumb (to the point of possibly being held up by security and missing the flight) if the date of birth of the passenger does not match the date of birth on the ticket (which will come from the FF holder's records).

And thus you should do it, as mentioned above, at an airline that allows sharing of accounts, and thus requires no trickery.

Meanwhile, unless one of your flies an awful lot, remember that these days, on most US-based airlines, you earn miles based on the fare you paid, not the distance flown any more. So people who fly rarely and always on cheap fares can actually earn way more miles from using the right credit card day in and day out that from flying occasionally. (And many people can earn even more miles from "churning" credit cards than from using one oif them day in and day out.) So I suggest you learn all about earning miles from credit cards, dining programs, shopping programs, etc (and then tech that to your relatives), and stop worrying about how to credit the occasional flight.
Old Feb 8, 18, 9:03 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by lsu2012 View Post
So my father and I share the same name.

Therefore, in theory, could we basically "share" the same frequent flyer account?

I'm wondering if the TSA ID check or anything else will expose this if, for instance, he decides to purchase a ticket with my FF#.
There are many threads on here asking about this - you're not the first person to think of it.

TSA ID checker only compares the ID name to the BP name, they don't see or care about FFP info. But airlines do audit their FFP accounts randomly or when something happens that results in an employee noticing something "odd". You certainly can get caught. It may not be a very high risk but the payoff is also pretty low. There are non-fraudulent and much more lucrative ways to boost your mileage balances, as mentioned already. My advice would also be to focus on those methods instead.
Old Feb 10, 18, 1:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
American Airlines, for one, is very active (and proficient) at seeking out this kind of fraud against AAdvantage Terms and Conditions, both using software sweeps internally and other ways (such as reading here). With AA, the account will be closed, miles forfeited along with any status gained.

How difficult is it? Easy peasy, as you don’t share birthdates.
Old Feb 10, 18, 2:20 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Some carriers such as BA permit household accounts, so it does not matter whether your father has the same name. Other carriers prohibit it and it is fraud. It is a violation of FT rules to seek advice as to how to commit fraud/theft, so let's presume your carrier permits household accounts.
I doubt that that's what the OP is seeking. FWIW OP is James Jr Bond and his old man is James Sr Bond and the aim is very clearly for both to collect in the same account, something that is quite obviously prohibited by every major FFP out there. The airline may cancel the account, void all points, and ban both for a lifetime.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: