Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rules for Li-Ion battery travel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Rules for Li-Ion battery travel

What are the current rules on international flights (Delta, ATL - JNB) for bringing Li-Ion batteries? I'm flying next week to a photo safari so I'll be bringing lots of spare batteries for my cameras, and lots of USB batteries for everything else. We only have solar power at our campsites so it's recommended that we have duplicate everything so during the day when we're out on safari we can have the next-day's batteries charging.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:00 pm

It's amazing what you find using Google:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ted-items.html
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
It's amazing what you find using Google:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ted-items.html
So if I bring 2 spare camera batteries I can't bring any USB batteries? I'm sure I've carried more than that on almost all my trips.

What if I buy a bunch of USB batteries in a shop on the other side of security?

So I don't know why this thread petered out but I still don't feel like I know what travelers do in practice. I'm going on a photo-safari and bringing two DSLR bodies so each camera has a spare battery. The rules quoted above seem to say that that's my limit. But nowadays people have a lot more electronic devices than just cameras - and we're going to be out on the bush where electricity will be scarce so what do most people do?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

So I don't know why this thread petered out but I still don't feel like I know what travelers do in practice. I'm going on a photo-safari and bringing two DSLR bodies so each camera has a spare battery. The rules quoted above seem to say that that's my limit. But nowadays people have a lot more electronic devices than just cameras - and we're going to be out on the bush where electricity will be scarce so what do most people do?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please reread the rules you were referred to; you may have misinterpreted them from your post above, and in light of my experience hand carrying batteries for underwater video equipment. To restate:

Lithium Batteries

As you probably know, traveling with consumer electronic and medical devices containing lithium cells or batteries (e.g. watches, calculators, cameras, cell phones, laptops, camcorders, hearing aids, etc.) is allowed onboard as carry-on. Spare lithium batteries are allowed as carry-on only, and must be individually protected to prevent short circuits.

Tips to properly transport spare lithium batteries:
  • Pack spare batteries in carry-on baggage.
  • Keep spare batteries in the original retail packaging to prevent unintentional activation or short-circuiting.
  • If original packaging is not available, effectively insulate battery terminals by isolating spare batteries from contact with other batteries and/or metal.
  • Specifically, place each battery in its own protective case, plastic bag or package, or place tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals.
  • Take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing, or putting a high degree of pressure on the battery, as this can cause an internal short circuit, resulting in overheating.

Size Limits for Lithium Batteries:

Passengers are permitted to travel with lithium ion batteries that contain a maximum of 160 watt hours per battery. Any lithium ion battery containing more than 160 watt hours is prohibited from carriage on all passenger aircraft. Lithium ion batteries installed in a personal electronic device can be transported as checked or carry on baggage. Lithium ion batteries not installed in a device (spares) must be in carry-on baggage and no more than two (2) spares between 100 and 160 watt hours are allowed.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Please reread the rules you were referred to; you may have misinterpreted them from your post above, and in light of my experience hand carrying batteries for underwater video equipment. To restate:

Lithium Batteries

As you probably know, traveling with consumer electronic and medical devices containing lithium cells or batteries (e.g. watches, calculators, cameras, cell phones, laptops, camcorders, hearing aids, etc.) is allowed onboard as carry-on. Spare lithium batteries are allowed as carry-on only, and must be individually protected to prevent short circuits.

Tips to properly transport spare lithium batteries:
  • Pack spare batteries in carry-on baggage.
  • Keep spare batteries in the original retail packaging to prevent unintentional activation or short-circuiting.
  • If original packaging is not available, effectively insulate battery terminals by isolating spare batteries from contact with other batteries and/or metal.
  • Specifically, place each battery in its own protective case, plastic bag or package, or place tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals.
  • Take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing, or putting a high degree of pressure on the battery, as this can cause an internal short circuit, resulting in overheating.

Size Limits for Lithium Batteries:

Passengers are permitted to travel with lithium ion batteries that contain a maximum of 160 watt hours per battery. Any lithium ion battery containing more than 160 watt hours is prohibited from carriage on all passenger aircraft. Lithium ion batteries installed in a personal electronic device can be transported as checked or carry on baggage. Lithium ion batteries not installed in a device (spares) must be in carry-on baggage and no more than two (2) spares between 100 and 160 watt hours are allowed.
So should I interpret that as being allowed to carry on an unlimited number of smaller spares?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by inet32
So should I interpret that as being allowed to carry on an unlimited number of smaller spares?
Why would you assume that the random FT'er who might answer this question has reading comprehension any better than your own?

Read the DL rules. Carefully. If you still do not understand the DL rules, seek clarification from DL.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Why would you assume that the random FT'er who might answer this question has reading comprehension any better than your own?

Read the DL rules. Carefully. If you still do not understand the DL rules, seek clarification from DL.
The phone wait times are too long when I try to call them. And my experience talking to airline staff is that different staff tend to tell you different things anyway.

And besides, my question was what flyers carrying lots of electronic gear normally do, which is why I posted my question to a frequent flyer forum. It's not a matter of reading comprehension; it's a matter of interpretation since different people may interpret the same text different ways. If you don't have an opinion on this question you don't have to offer one, but some people may have an opinion or an experience in the matter.

Last edited by inet32; Feb 4, 2018 at 11:56 pm
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:48 am

It's not a matter of reading comprehension; it's a matter of interpretation since different people may interpret the same text different ways.
If you say so.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
If by "smaller" you mean <100 Wh, then yes*. I really don't know how else one would read it.

We carry several spares, under the size limit, for our cameras on every trip (in our carry ons and with the precautions specified above, of course).

*As long as it's not a crazy amount. From the FAA page (full link follows) on carrying Li-Ion - quantities for commercial sale, rather than personal use, wouldn't be permitted. I've never seen anyone inspecting and counting batteries, though.

Quantity limits: None for most batteries – but batteries must be for use by the passenger. Batteries carried for further sale or distribution (vendor samples, etc.) are prohibited. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101-160 watt hours per battery).
https://www.faa.gov/about/initiative...info/?hazmat=7

Last edited by 84fiero; Feb 7, 2018 at 7:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.