Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Do airlines have the obligation to show stopovers (no plane change) in the itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do airlines have the obligation to show stopovers (no plane change) in the itinerary?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by trooper
Google flights mentions the "1 stop" on every itin I can find...in fact I can't find ANY non-stop SCL-MIA flights at all.....
Both AA and LA offer SCL-MIA nonstops. But the OP wants to go to MCO, which only has seasonal nonstop service from SCL (on LA).
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: none
OP's question has been answered adequately.

Obligation? I hope not. This would be yet another action that adds VERY LITTLE to the overall equation. Now, if a particular airline chooses to provide that information, and another one chooses not provide it, that's something you can consider when choosing which carrier to use.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Allan38103

Obligation? I hope not. This would be yet another action that adds VERY LITTLE to the overall equation. Now, if a particular airline chooses to provide that information, and another one chooses not provide it, that's something you can consider when choosing which carrier to use.

I'm traveling with my dog down in the hold, so this actually adds something significant to the equation. Additionally, having to change planes is something that most people care about when traveling with checked luggage or with kids or someone disabled, etc. etc. I don't know about you, but having layover or not is more important to me, and I can't imagine that the majority of people don't take it into consideration when booking their flight.

The more that I write... the stranger it seems that you don't care if you have a layover or not. If you paid extra not to have a layover, but then ended up having a layover anyways (not because of change of plans, but because they "hid" it), wouldn't you be upset?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
So, if i get this correctly, you bought this using the LATAM website in Chile. What was the terminology used in Spanish?

Unfortunately, airline-speak may not be easily understood by infrequent flyers. In English,

Non-stop (sin escalas) are flights that in fact fly A to B without any stops.

Direct (directo) flights might stop - more than once - and occasionally require changes of aircraft or even terminals, even though they carry the same flight number. Through flights are similar, in that there are stops. My flight SCL-PMC-PUQ-USH was a through / direct flight - same aircraft, we even remained on board at Puerto Montt, but we had to disembark in Punta Arenas to process emigration to depart Chile for our PUQ-USH sector.

Connecting flights (conexión) have separate flight numbers and are more obvious - you’re stopping, and most often changing aircraft in addition to flight numbers (but not always).

See here for the Spanish version.

Will the dog be in the cabin accompanying you, or in the hold in an approved per “crate”? Do you have the necessary paperwork for arrival in the USA? See the U S Department of Agriculture- Animal and Plant Inspection Service requirements for bringing a dog into the USA here to avoid problems with APHIS and quarantine on arrival.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 1, 2018 at 4:52 pm
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Quick search online shows that LA2474 requires a plane change in LIM.

This flight also shows there being a stop in LIM on the LATAM website...

I see one stop, but nothing about an aircraft change.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
So, if i get this correctly, you bought this using the LATAM website in Chile. What was the terminology used in Spanish?

Unfortunately, airline-speak may not be easily understood by infrequent flyers. In English,

Non-stop (sin escalas) are flights that in fact fly A to B without any stops.

Direct (directo) flights might stop - more than once - and occasionally require changes of aircraft or even terminals, even though they carry the same flight number. Through flights are similar, in that there are stops.

Connecting flights (conexion) have separate flight numbers abd are more obvious - you’re stopping, and most often changing aircraft in addition to flight numbers (but not always).

Will the dog be in the cabin accompanying you, or in the hold in an approved per “crate”? Do you have the necessary paperwork for arrival in the USA? See the U S Department of Agriculture- Animal and Plant Inspection Service requirements for bringing a dog into the USA here to avoid problems with APHIS and quarantine on arrival.
I don't know if this goes through (my messages keep on getting sent to moderators), but I bought the ticket on the company's US site in English, not in Spanish.

This really isn't the case of me not understanding, I know that "stopovers" might be used in different ways in different contexts, this is just what literally appears on the "ticket," in English.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I see one stop, but nothing about an aircraft change.
A separate "ticket" shows the SCL-LIM on an AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A320 JET, LIM-MIA on a AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A319 JET.

You can't be blamed for not finding that though, because even their own contact center kept on assuring me that there's no plane change.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Allan38103

If you paid extra for a non-stop flight... you'd just accept that the real itinerary had a connection? Different plane, 1.5 hour wait, etc.? Not a change of itinerary (changes happen), but an actual bait-and-switch?

Have you never traveled with: checked baggage you were worried about losing, children, elderly, disabled, etc. etc.? Non-stop makes flying much easier than if you have a connection.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by no_stopover
The airline calls it a stopover (actually in English, albeit some of my info is a bit Spanglish), so apparently that definition is a bit flexible on an international level. I recently posted a reply (probably after you started writing, so you didn't see it) and explained that the flight starts in the US to SCL, with various layovers in Latin America on the way down, and a magical mystical "stopover" in Lima on the way back that 1) shows up in 50% of the itineraries 2) the call center guy I just talked to was super confused and couldn't see it on his side 3) I get mixed messages if I'm changing planes, but one of the reservations clearly says that there's a plane change in Lima and 4) there are two separate reservations for "animal in hold" rather than one.

The "direct" segment I'm specifically talking about is LA2474 SCL-LIM-MCO with LATAM.
I'm confused by some of the above post...

When you reference ""stopover" in Lima on the way back that 1) shows up in 50% of the itineraries"...50% of what itineraries? Do you have more than one booking for this trip? Do you mean 50% of various itineraries you searched for on the LATAM website?

You mention "one of the reservations clearly says that there's a plane change in Lima" still confused by plural "reservations" - how many bookings do you have for this trip? What are the multiple "reservations" you're referring to and which one has the plane change noted and which one doesn't?

I don't know if there are any jurisdictions where there is a requirement for stops to be shown on a direct flight, but IME any airline site or third-party booking site that I've encountered does note when there is a stop on a "direct" flight...can't verify that every airline in the world always does this of course but it seems to be commonly done.

Moreover, from the LATAM website screen shot upthread for the flight in question, the website does note that there is a stop in the blue hyperlink which, if clicked, brings up the itinerary with the stopover times. Going through a dummy booking for that same flight on the US LATAM website, I'm also seeing the same note and on the following screen a "more information" hyperlink again brings up the stopover times at Lima (though I don't see info on a change of plane, if any). So it seems likely that the same information would've been displayed when you used the LATAM website, unless there was a glitch or error at the time which I guess is possible.

It's also possible you didn't happen to see the note...not criticizing you it's just that as humans don't observe things as well as we would like to think we do, and we all inadvertently overlook stuff sometimes. My coworker - a very frequent flyer - once accidentally booked a flight for the day after he needed it, and didn't even catch the error until he tried to check in at the airport. Stuff happens.

I feel for your frustration, whatever the root cause, but I can't see LATAM refunding your ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.