Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

How do you determine Mileage Required for flights? Trying to decide cash or miles..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you determine Mileage Required for flights? Trying to decide cash or miles..

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:51 am
Original Poster

So, award nexus is interesting, although I don't know exactly what it's purpose is and I'm tearing through points just trying to understand how it can help me. I'm assuming it's actually showing me available award flights, but it only does the alliances and does not show the airlines in groupings from the major CC programs like TY and UR.

Is there a search tool, even a paid one, where I can search my three programs (AA, TY, UR) for actual award flights? Award hacker does seem to be a great tool to get a general idea of whether or not I should even pursue a more detailed search, but when the time comes that I do feel it warranted I am not sure how to take that next step.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trademarkedTM
Is there a search tool, even a paid one, where I can search my three programs (AA, TY, UR) for actual award flights?
With UR you cannot book award flights, You can use the points as defacto cash. TY may operate the same. You can transfer TY & UR points to a wide range of ffp's

Credit card transfer links
Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs forum
Amex http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-program.html
Chase http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...tc-2017-a.html
Citi http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...-partners.html

In the AA forum are many long running threads on awards.

AA.com shows only a fraction of all the airlines you can use AA miles for. Award Nexus will show almost all of them (excepting a couple non-oneworld partners). If you find availability on Award Nexus, you have to call AA on the phone to book it.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ssistance.html

Oneworld and other airline Awards Rules, Information 2015 on
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
With UR you cannot book award flights, You can use the points as defacto cash. TY may operate the same. You can transfer TY & UR points to a wide range of ffp's

Credit card transfer links
Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs forum
Amex http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-program.html
Chase http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...tc-2017-a.html
Citi http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...-partners.html

In the AA forum are many long running threads on awards.

AA.com shows only a fraction of all the airlines you can use AA miles for. Award Nexus will show almost all of them (excepting a couple non-oneworld partners). If you find availability on Award Nexus, you have to call AA on the phone to book it.

www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1511217-help-desk-milesaaver-saaver-award-questions-assistance.html

Oneworld and other airline Awards Rules, Information 2015 on
Correct me if I am wrong, but for TY and UR I am going to have to transfer my points to an airline partner, but when I book with them it will be considered award travel since I am using their own points system after the transfer. If I understand that correctly, then I need a search system for award travel for both UR and TY partner airlines since those are my two CC programs. The AA stuff I think I've got down as it is a bit easier.

Last edited by trademarkedTM; Jan 28, 2018 at 7:35 pm
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Correct me if I am wrong, but for TY and UR I am going to have to transfer my points to an airline partner, but when I book with them won't it be considered award travel since I am using their own points after the transfer?
UR can work either way. You can transfer points to a partner program and redeem from there or you can use them as a cash equivalent on the booking portal Chase provides. In the latter case it is a revenue ticket to the airline, not an award. I don't do TYP but my understanding is that it is a booking portal, not a transfer.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
UR can work either way. You can transfer points to a partner program and redeem from there or you can use them as a cash equivalent on the booking portal Chase provides. In the latter case it is a revenue ticket to the airline, not an award. I don't do TYP but my understanding is that it is a booking portal, not a transfer.
I was under the impression I could transfer. I sure hope thats the case because the prices/points required on the booking portal are terrible. A flight that might be 60k miles on AA is like 400k miles on these portals.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My bad...the transfer option was added after I mostly stopped paying attention to the product. https://hub.thankyou.com/tygr-web/pa...amsListing.htm

That said, AA isn't a partner for either program. And a $4000-6000 ticket for 60k points would be impressive.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
My bad...the transfer option was added after I mostly stopped paying attention to the product. https://hub.thankyou.com/tygr-web/pa...amsListing.htm

That said, AA isn't a partner for either program. And a $4000-6000 ticket for 60k points would be impressive.
AA isn't a partner but it's my third reward account. I have one main airline account (AA) and two main CC accounts, Citi Thank You and Chase Ultimate Rewards.

I used 60k AA miles to fly business class in a lay down bed on a dreamliner from Charlotte -> Boston -> Toyko -> Bangkok. (US leg was just a 737). I think that ticket is worth about $3000. I value it at $3000 because competing airlines have biz class for about that amount, but to get JAL is actually almost $7000. So, I felt like it was a great value per point. I fly a lot, and I don't mind paying cash for most of the flights, I just want to make sure that when the opportunity arises to use points at a great value per point I can jump on it and make use of all these points I'm accumulating.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct me if I am wrong, but for TY and UR I am going to have to transfer my points to an airline partner, but when I book with them it will be considered award travel since I am using their own points system after the transfer. If I understand that correctly, then I need a search system for award travel for both UR and TY partner airlines since those are my two CC programs. The AA stuff I think I've got down as it is a bit easier.
Yes. In post 16 you did not state "UR and TY partner airlines". Just UR & TY. A big difference.

If the UR and TY partner airlines are in the same alliance or common ff partners the (saver) awards are nominally available to all. But it does seem to vary. Some ffp's have better availability for their own frequent flyers.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Yes. In post 16 you did not state "UR and TY partner airlines". Just UR & TY. A big difference.

If the UR and TY partner airlines are in the same alliance or common ff partners the (saver) awards are nominally available to all. But it does seem to vary. Some ffp's have better availability for their own frequent flyers.
I would imagine once the points are transferred, im a member just like every other FF member, no?

I'd really like to be able to search UR and TY partner airlines for award flights in one search engine since I will have to ultimately transfer points to those airlines. The portals for both programs have egregious charges.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:27 pm

There are really no shortcuts here. The complications increase when you realize you need not fly on the airline of the program to which you transfer your miles. You just have to learn the various points charts. Find search engines you like to find award availability and then, when you have the flights, work backwards to figure out the most efficient way to use your points and miles. Or learn the "sweet spots" in various programs then search for flights.

Say you find a great award on ANA. If you have Amex or Starpoints, you could transfer them to ANA. Or, you could transfer Amex to Aeroplan and book ANA through Aeroplan. Or you could transfer Citi points to Etihad and book it that way. Or, you could pool your points and transfer some citi and some Chase to Singapore and book that way. Or you could transfer Chase to United. Which is best? Well, it depends on what you have, and what your routing is. Maybe you don't have enough points -- then you might want to transfer citi to Avianca, which lets you book using points plus cash. What costs 260,000 miles through United may cost tens of thousands less through Etihad. But some redemptions might charge high taxes. Or have worse or better cancelation policies. Some might not let you book one-ways. Some let you have stopovers. Some points transfer instantly, some do not (and you might lose that dream reward).

The answer to this question, by the way, is probably to transfer to Virgin Atlantic to book on ANA. Who would have expected that! But there it is.

So, I'm afraid it's not just a case of knowing each carrier's mileage chart. Each program has different rules and sweet spots, and as soon as you press "confirm" on your transfer, you're stuck with the rules of the program to which you've transfered. It's not enough to know United charges 90,000 miles for a redemption and Aeroplan charges 80,000. You also need to know if Aeroplan is going to hit you with $500 in carrier charges that United will not.

Accumulating points and miles is the easy part. Finding award space is harder. Optimizing how you use your currencies to book that award most optimally is, I'm afraid, the hard part and where the difference is between having some fun with this hobby and kicking butt with it. It is the step where friends who say they want to do this tend to drop out and end up just blowing their miles on a crappy redemption. There's no short cut here. Read, read, and read some more. Give yourself a goal and work toward it. A blog tells you the best way to book to Hawaii in first is Singapore because United first codes as business on Singapore's star alliance chart. Or maybe it tells you how to get to Hawaii using Chase to Korean, etc.

Try your hand at one of those, and then you work your way into seeing where the sweet spots and trap doors lie.

Last edited by lkar; Jan 29, 2018 at 9:33 pm
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lkar
There are really no shortcuts here. The complications increase when you realize you need not fly on the airline of the program to which you transfer your miles. You just have to learn the various points charts. Find search engines you like to find award availability and then, when you have the flights, work backwards to figure out the most efficient way to use your points and miles. Or learn the "sweet spots" in various programs then search for flights.

Say you find a great award on ANA. If you have Amex or Starpoints, you could transfer them to ANA. Or, you could transfer Amex to Aeroplan and book ANA through Aeroplan. Or you could transfer Citi points to Etihad and book it that way. Or, you could pool your points and transfer some citi and some Chase to Singapore and book that way. Or you could transfer Chase to United. Which is best? Well, it depends on what you have, and what your routing is. Maybe you don't have enough points -- then you might want to transfer citi to Avianca, which lets you book using points plus cash. What costs 260,000 miles through United may cost tens of thousands less through Etihad. But some redemptions might charge high taxes. Or have worse or better cancelation policies. Some might not let you book one-ways. Some let you have stopovers. Some points transfer instantly, some do not (and you might lose that dream reward).

The answer to this question, by the way, is probably to transfer to Virgin Atlantic to book on ANA. Who would have expected that! But there it is.

So, I'm afraid it's not just a case of knowing each carrier's mileage chart. Each program has different rules and sweet spots, and as soon as you press "confirm" on your transfer, you're stuck with the rules of the program to which you've transfered. It's not enough to know United charges 90,000 miles for a redemption and Aeroplan charges 80,000. You also need to know if Aeroplan is going to hit you with $500 in carrier charges that United will not.

Accumulating points and miles is the easy part. Finding award space is harder. Optimizing how you use your currencies to book that award most optimally is, I'm afraid, the hard part and where the difference is between having some fun with this hobby and kicking butt with it. It is the step where friends who say they want to do this tend to drop out and end up just blowing their miles on a crappy redemption. There's no short cut here. Read, read, and read some more. Give yourself a goal and work toward it. A blog tells you the best way to book to Hawaii in first is Singapore because United first codes as business on Singapore's star alliance chart. Or maybe it tells you how to get to Hawaii using Chase to Korean, etc.

Try your hand at one of those, and then you work your way into seeing where the sweet spots and trap doors lie.

Wow, thank you for the very detailed explanation. It really puts things in perspective. I'm at that potential "drop off point" as I've optimized accumulation and now I'm hitting that tough spot. I suppose this is why people have been able to create niches around award flight consultation. Maybe I need to hire one! lol
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:14 am

Wow, thank you for the very detailed explanation. It really puts things in perspective. I'm at that potential "drop off point" as I've optimized accumulation and now I'm hitting that tough spot. I suppose this is why people have been able to create niches around award flight consultation. Maybe I need to hire one! lol
With some effort you can figure it out yourself. It depends on what your goal is. If your goal is "I want to go to very cool places and experience the most luxurious premium cabins I can," then it's surely overwhelming. I think the thing you'd want to do there is follow some of the famous blogs that do elaborate trip reports. See what places and products interest you. Most of the time, the bloggers will introduce their trip reports with a summary of how they booked the trip. And that will get you started.

If, though, your goal is a specific trip, then it gets much easier. You know, you start with an idea -- I want to go to Prague and Germany Christmas markets over the holidays. Or, I want to snorkel on the great barrier reef. Once you have this plan in mind, you can target your research much better. Research the best ways to get to Europe, or to Australia. Do some google searches. Start figuring out the award routes that may be available on miles. Once you've found availability -- let's say a perfect flight from is available to BNE on Air Canada through Vancouver -- you move on to how to book it. Maybe there is a transfer bonus going on to Aeroplan that stretches your points. If not, maybe you'll see that Aeroplan charges 80,000 miles, while United charges 90,000 miles, but Aeroplan charges about $500 in taxes while United doesn't. Etc.

Take it in chunks. Start with a goal. If the goal is not achievable yet, using the currencies you have, move on to a different goal. Once you have the goal, you have a specific case to research and it's much less abstract. And then once you go through the process once, you'll learn what the issues are and how to issue spot for the next redemption.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lkar
With some effort you can figure it out yourself. It depends on what your goal is. If your goal is "I want to go to very cool places and experience the most luxurious premium cabins I can," then it's surely overwhelming. I think the thing you'd want to do there is follow some of the famous blogs that do elaborate trip reports. See what places and products interest you. Most of the time, the bloggers will introduce their trip reports with a summary of how they booked the trip. And that will get you started.

If, though, your goal is a specific trip, then it gets much easier. You know, you start with an idea -- I want to go to Prague and Germany Christmas markets over the holidays. Or, I want to snorkel on the great barrier reef. Once you have this plan in mind, you can target your research much better. Research the best ways to get to Europe, or to Australia. Do some google searches. Start figuring out the award routes that may be available on miles. Once you've found availability -- let's say a perfect flight from is available to BNE on Air Canada through Vancouver -- you move on to how to book it. Maybe there is a transfer bonus going on to Aeroplan that stretches your points. If not, maybe you'll see that Aeroplan charges 80,000 miles, while United charges 90,000 miles, but Aeroplan charges about $500 in taxes while United doesn't. Etc.

Take it in chunks. Start with a goal. If the goal is not achievable yet, using the currencies you have, move on to a different goal. Once you have the goal, you have a specific case to research and it's much less abstract. And then once you go through the process once, you'll learn what the issues are and how to issue spot for the next redemption.
My goal is to fly all long haul international flights in business class, and if I am able to fly medium distance flights in business class that would be a bonus. I will travel wherever I want regardless of award availability, but it would be nice if it existed
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

I think I am starting to get the hang of this..

I am going to fly Bangkok to Toyko, through Taipai, on EVA Air in Business class. It's going to be 25k miles. I initiated a transfer from my TYP account to EVA. The layover is going to suck, 11 hours overnight in Taipei, but I will try to push the limits of priority pass lounge access.

The redemption works out to 8 cents/mile. I think that is a success .
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..I am going to fly Bangkok to Toyko, through Taipai, on EVA Air in Business class. It's going to be 25k miles. I initiated a transfer from my TYP account to EVA..
Award availability is never guaranteed.
Is their award availability when you want to fly?
In the time it takes to transfer from TYP to the EVA ffp the award may be gone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.