Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Thailand honeymoon help

Thailand honeymoon help

Old Jan 19, 18, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA ExP
Thailand honeymoon help

Hi everyone - first time posting so go easy on me. I'm planning a ~3 week honeymoon end of June / beginning of July and wondering what the best award redemption is to get to from the US to BKK and then HKT back to the US. We're relatively flexible in terms of which US city we leave from and fly back into. I'm working with ~600k UR points / ~350k SPG / ~300k AA miles (which I'll go ahead and assume will be useless). I'd like to get us on the nicest F award we can (that makes sense logistically) on the way there - would also like to do a great F award on the way back, but also ok with redeeming for a really nice business class for that leg. I'd prefer to stick with using UR/AA to get there, as planning to use a decent amount of the SPG points on hotels in Thailand. I'm seeing some decent availability in ANA F from ORD-HND-BKK for the route out there - any thoughts on doing that for the leg into SE Asia? Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old Jan 19, 18, 11:33 am

I would check whether it is worth using SPG in Thailand as it will really limit your options and might not be a great use of points with the many deals out there. ANA F is great and I would book it asap if it's available. If you fit in a 24 hour stop in Tokyo that would be well worth it. CX with AA or Alaska is also a good option - a stopover in HKG would also be great.

Also - Phuket is not great that time of year (rain) - Koh Samui much better. I would also look into combining Thailand with Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos.

Last edited by erik123; Jan 19, 18 at 12:28 pm
Old Jan 19, 18, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I recently did a similar honeymoon trip, which was one week in Thailand followed by one week in the Maldives, so if you want any specifics on things to do/hotels let me know. As far as points go, you have a fair number of options to get there and back but I would really recommend ANA F, it was a fantastic product and the crew went above and beyond for my wife and I. You can also connect to Thai F through HND/NRT but Thai is notorious for pulling equipment swaps last minute (happened to us, went from F on 747 to J on 350) so just be wary if you want to try that.

I also recommend if flying into BKK, continue on to whatever destination first, it can save a flight cost if you include the BKK-CNX or BKK-HKT flight on the award ticket.

If you want to try to use AA miles, there is some business class availability in J on Cathay coming home from BKK-HKG-US for 70k each - you can try to find CX F but I would not get your hopes up (can search on BA). I believe you can route through a 3rd region (no stopover) from USA to Asia 2 (Thailand) through Asia 1 (Japan/Korea) which could give you a route through Japan on JAL/AA an option. Again price is 70k - J or 110k F.

Other ways to get there/home include SQ but with their new award chart changes, I am not sure what the current price is for partner awards (assuming you will have a connection in the US on United).

For hotels in Thailand, I found the prices were not that bad so I saved points and booked with cash instead, staying in Chiang Mai and in Bangkok - stayed at SPG for both.
Old Jan 19, 18, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Peak travel time (summer) to a popular vacation destination with less than 6 months until travel is not generally a choosers market. Award travel generally opens up ~330 days before date of travel so you're a bit behind. But this doesn't mean it's impossible.

The upside to certain programs is you can do two 1 way tickets in two different programs which helps with flexibility. Not all programs allow 1 ways but many do.
If you are new to award travel booking and as this is an important event you may want to look into a paid award booking service. Some options can be found here Award booking services - a list and some reviews
Old Jan 19, 18, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by cvgflyer1 View Post
I recently did a similar honeymoon trip, which was one week in Thailand followed by one week in the Maldives, so if you want any specifics on things to do/hotels let me know. .
Where did you originate from? I was looking to BKK and Maldives but couldn't find anything that made sense on miles or time. Can you provide some details on this?

I too is planning on a trip from LAX - BKK - HKT - SGN - LAX, but been reading about the weather (monsoon season) in Phuket and is making me think twice about the trip.
Old Jan 19, 18, 9:48 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
June/Early July is low season in Thailand. Should be fairly easy to find award seats even only 6 months out. Hotels rates in Thailand are cheap outside high season so save your points/miles.

No reason to stay away from Phuket in June/July. It may rain but most likely it will be dry (and hot) most of the time. Wet season is later in the summer but as always when in Thailand/Asia outside dry season, if you are lucky you have great weather throughout our stay and if you are unlucky it rains a lot - this is totally unpredictable, sorry.
Old Jan 20, 18, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by ponickka View Post
Where did you originate from? I was looking to BKK and Maldives but couldn't find anything that made sense on miles or time. Can you provide some details on this?

I too is planning on a trip from LAX - BKK - HKT - SGN - LAX, but been reading about the weather (monsoon season) in Phuket and is making me think twice about the trip.
We spent 1 week in Thailand and 1 week in the Maldives. Ended up spending 3 nights at the Le Meridien Chiang Mai, then flew on Bangkok Air to Bangkok. Spent 3 nights in Bangkok at the Sheraton Grand Sukhumvit. Left Bangkok for the Maldives on Sri Lanken Air connecting through CMB. And split our stay in the Maldives between two resorts owned by the Crown and Champa group (Komandoo with a Jacuzzi Beach Villa and Hurawalhi with an over the water sunset villa). We spend 3 days in each. There is a short boat ride between the two islands.
Flight there we did CVG - UA J - ORD - ANA F - HND - TG J - BKK - TG J -CNX. It was supposed to be TG F, but was downgraded due to equipment swap.
Flight back: MLE - EY J - AUH - EY J - JFK - AA Y - CVG

ANA F was one of the best experiences I have had flying. The Polaris Lounge in ORD was also amazing, and they proactively brought us a glass of champagne and dessert tray to celebrate our honeymoon. Thai left a little to be desired, for one thing when we connected from International to Domestic they just walked us to immigration and said "you need to go through security on the other side of this to get to the domestic gates. Not quite the level of service I had heard about or expected. Sri Lanken was great, we preordered a "happy honeymoon" cake for the flight, service was great and seats were comfortable for the length of the flights. Etihad was also very nice with good service, but we ended up getting a significant delay from AUH to JFK which gave us a long layover in the lounge.
Old Jan 20, 18, 2:29 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
1 week in Maldives is OK (hardly anything to do besides enjoying your stay at a fancy resort) but only 1 week for first timers to Thailand is too little. Then better restrict yourself to Thailand only and spent more time in BKK, Chiang Mai and perhaps at a beach destination. Leave Maldives for a later trip. Trying to do Thailand and Maldives in 2 weeks is crazy; too much travel, changing hotels etc.
Old Jan 21, 18, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
1 week in Maldives is OK (hardly anything to do besides enjoying your stay at a fancy resort) but only 1 week for first timers to Thailand is too little. Then better restrict yourself to Thailand only and spent more time in BKK, Chiang Mai and perhaps at a beach destination. Leave Maldives for a later trip. Trying to do Thailand and Maldives in 2 weeks is crazy; too much travel, changing hotels etc.

I do agree one week in Thailand was not enough. Already planning a return for longer.
Old Jan 21, 18, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
I would check whether it is worth using SPG in Thailand as it will really limit your options and might not be a great use of points with the many deals out there.

Phuket is not great that time of year (rain) - Koh Samui much better
SPG includes >
ritz carlton koh samui 20k
st regis bangkok 12k / 16k
Old Jan 21, 18, 9:37 am

Maldives in July is also rainiy season. You can leave booking hotels in SEA Asia often to the last minute that time of year - except for top properties in Samui. You can even decide after arrival which is what I have several years in a row with good success (big discounts).
Old Jan 21, 18, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
SPG includes >
ritz carlton koh samui 20k
st regis bangkok 12k / 16k
Not bad but 20k x 2 SPG points is a one way business ticket on CX with a stopover in HKG so worth a multple of the two nights. Not great value in my book.