Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost MacAir laptop at Istanbul

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Lost MacAir laptop at Istanbul

Recently my uni student lost her MacAir on her flight TK 1636 on 12/28 from Munich to Istanbul Ataturk Airport. She left her computer in the overhead compartment on the plane. She later noticed after she had taken a bus to the airport building, but after she had gone through immigration and airport security. She spoke to Turkish Airlines staff who told her to ask in Tokyo about the computer's return (claiming that she didn't have enough time and would miss her flight).

After arriving in Narita Airport in Tokyo on flight TK52, she spoke with Turkish Airlines staff in Tokyo, Japan. They took a memo about her laptop, and contacted the Istanbul Turkish Airlines staff. She heard from the Tokyo TA staff on 12/30 and was told it was in the International lost and found office at the Istanbul Ataturk Airport. Then she was instructed to contact a local FedEx office in Istanbul to have a courier pick it up. She did this through the Tokyo FedEx office on December 30 th and received a reply on January 4th (because of a New Year Holiday in Japan). Then she had to make a waiver document, customs document and lost and found claim and sent them to the Lost and Found office at the Istanbul Airport on the 12th of January. The Istanbul FedEx office reported to the Tokyo FedEx office that currently the last 2-3 months FedEx couriers in Istanbul have been unable to pick up packages from the Lost and Found office in the airport due to security restrictions (though the Lost and found office claims differently).

She called today January 19th, and I spoke with the manager Mr. Turkcam at the FedEx office in Istanbul who confirmed that they FedEx are unable to pick up packages from the lost and found office right now.

One other thing, there seem to be two different claim numbers; one issued in Japan by Turkish Airlines and the other by the lost and found office at the Istanbul Airport. Shouldn't these claim numbers be the same or is this usual (as the lost and found office is another company)?

Can any member suggest anything that can be done to bring this laptop back to Japan and its rightful owner?

Note to moderators: please move this to another forum if it is posted in the wrong one.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You should have posted this in the THY forum.

Any chance that she will pass IST in the near future to pick it up?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we locate this thread to the TK forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
You might want to read this thread:

How To Retrieve Lost Item at IST Turkish Airlines Domestic Terminal After Leaving Tur

Your battle is uphill. It shouldn't be but you are dealing with two organisations, Fedex-in-Turkey and Turkish Airline's ground crews, neither one of which has much notion of customer service. I'm sure both have stars among them, but the odds are you'll be dealing with duds.

Unless you have a friend or agent in Istanbul, I'd suggest you try to get someone in TK's Tokyo office to take ownership of the problem - my experience is that TK-employee talking unto TK-employee can be a magic key to resolving problems: especially where your TK-employee has some clout in the organisation.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:57 am

Please also see this Thread:

How To Retrieve Lost Item at IST Turkish Airlines Domestic Terminal After Leaving Tur
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
You should have posted this in the THY forum.

Any chance that she will pass IST in the near future to pick it up?
Thank you for the idea, but doesn't seem like it. She just returned to Japan last month and was only transiting in Turkey after visiting Germany for the Christmas holiday.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
You might want to read this thread:

Your battle is uphill. It shouldn't be but you are dealing with two organisations, Fedex-in-Turkey and Turkish Airline's ground crews, neither one of which has much notion of customer service. I'm sure both have stars among them, but the odds are you'll be dealing with duds.

Unless you have a friend or agent in Istanbul, I'd suggest you try to get someone in TK's Tokyo office to take ownership of the problem - my experience is that TK-employee talking unto TK-employee can be a magic key to resolving problems: especially where your TK-employee has some clout in the organisation.
Appreciate the advice, will tell my student.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nola1
Thanks for the same advice, sending email to my student.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: TK*G EP
Sent a PM to the OP.
Hopefully I can help.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: TK*G EP
Originally Posted by rozy
Sent a PM to the OP.
Hopefully I can help.
I guess, no help was needed.
No reply.
Not even a courtesy one.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Rozy was very helpful and I did PM him already after some delay. I apologize as I am more of a lurker than a regular poster on FT and didn't seem to notice I had a waiting PM when I originally looked at FT (I might not have been logged in).
My student put pressure on Turkish Airlines through a consumer help group in Japan and the manager from the Tokyo branch went to Istanbul to get my student's MacAir.

Thanks again Rozy!

Originally Posted by rozy
I guess, no help was needed.
No reply.
Not even a courtesy one.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by kasmersensei
Rozy was very helpful and I did PM him already after some delay. I apologize as I am more of a lurker than a regular poster on FT and didn't seem to notice I had a waiting PM when I originally looked at FT (I might not have been logged in).
My student put pressure on Turkish Airlines through a consumer help group in Japan and the manager from the Tokyo branch went to Istanbul to get my student's MacAir.

Thanks again Rozy!
Glad it all got sorted out ^

Thanks for letting us know the outcome too~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.