Wiki Posts
Search

Help- Shipment of Antiques for personal use [India to Canada]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Help- Shipment of Antiques for personal use [India to Canada]

Hi All,

This is my first post / question here...
We got our COPR for Canada and in the process of relocating from India (Tamilnadu), however I have a couple of questions regarding shipment for relocating.

I possess a couple of Hindu god and goddess idols as below
1 Godesses idol - Granite - Approx 20 Years old - 115 Kgs
1 Godesses idol - Granite - Approx 15 years old - 75 Kgs
Few 5 metal god and goddesses from 1 inch to 7 inch approx, around 200 years old, weighing below 500 grams each, about 20 idols

Ornaments and weapons of God made of gold and silver, weighing about 5 to 100 gms in total (gold and silver respectively), around 200 years old.

Wooden cupboard - around 200 years old, approx weigth: up to 100 kg

couple of small idols, no precious metals, weighing about 5 kgs in total, ranging from 5 to 20 years old.

Can someone please guide me in the procedures to ship them, I see a couple of website where sellers are sending antiques abroad, for my personal use how would I carry these, what are the govt procedures?

I'm the only legal heir of them, as we daily perform morning and evening rituals, I can't desert them here in India and go.

Please guide me thru; Thanks

Regards
Arun
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I can't help you with the specifics, but you will need to check whether these can be exported from India without an export certificate. Similarly, you should check whether Canada will accept these as part of your personal possessions, rather than taxing you import duties.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I can't help you with the specifics, but you will need to check whether these can be exported from India without an export certificate. Similarly, you should check whether Canada will accept these as part of your personal possessions, rather than taxing you import duties.
Thank you for the reply!

I did check with CA govt website and they accept during immigration, no duties, as I'm taking them for personal use and not for sale, which I will have to declare but I'm unaware of the procedures within India, I see some websites where they claim to sell antiques internationally and ship them?! Tried contacting them, and its of no use.

Need advise on the procedures within India, may be someone who had immigrated with Antiques from India,
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You'll want to get, preferably in writing, statement from an authority what the procedure and requirements are for such shipping or you could end up with quite a headache during your relocation. Start with your local government office and see if they can guide you through the process.
As for the shipping, you'll want to contact a cargo shipper that specializes in relocations because with those weights using an airline or standard shipping service you're going to be spending a lot.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @Arunkumar Kalyanasundaram.

Please follow the redirect as we move this to another forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.