Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which airline allows you to upgrade from Y to F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying from LAX to ICN and my company is paying for a Y, but I was wondering which airline will allow me to fly the best product after upgrading with miles.

AFAIK, KE and SQ don't allow this and SQ in particular probably only allow upgrade into premium economy.

Last edited by dkjb3t4; Oct 18, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Can your company pay for an SQ Premium Economy seat? You could then upgrade to J from PE.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by u2g0d
Can your company pay for an SQ Premium Economy seat? You could then upgrade to J from PE.
Yeah, I think they can.
I'll try for that.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Most airlines that offer upgrades (paid in miles, upgrade vouchers or cash at checkin/onboard) only allow a one-cabin upgrade.

In extremely rare circumstances operational reasons may result in a double-upgrade.

So an upgrade to business class is likely the best you can achieve (subject to availability and having the correct instrument) if work will only pay for economy class.
trooper and dkjb3t4 like this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Most airlines that offer upgrades (paid in miles, upgrade vouchers or cash at checkin/onboard) only allow a one-cabin upgrade.

In extremely rare circumstances operational reasons may result in a double-upgrade.

So an upgrade to business class is likely the best you can achieve (subject to availability and having the correct instrument) if work will only pay for economy class.
Thank you for the answer. I'll probably have to opt for SQ Y and upgrade w/ UR/TYP into J.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
... In extremely rare circumstances operational reasons may result in a double-upgrade...
Not only is this rare, it always (if procedures are followed) goes to that airline's best customers as identified by frequent flyer program status (and perhaps other internal bits of information, but that's the first sorting factor). If you don't know that you are one of those, you aren't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.