Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight from Los Angeles, USA to Nuremburg, Germany

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Flight from Los Angeles, USA to Nuremburg, Germany

Hi there. I am currently looking to book a round-trip flight from LA to Nuremburg from December 22nd to January 5th.

I have 60k United Airline miles and 60k Delta miles.

I have checked out the award bookings through them and they dont look too hot.

What is the best course of action? Im not trying to spend all my miles on one trip...

Is there any transfer partners that would offer a better award booking?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by briantravel
Hi there. I am currently looking to book a round-trip flight from LA to Nuremburg from December 22nd to January 5th.
I have checked out the award bookings through them and they don't look too hot.
What is the best course of action? I'm not trying to spend all my miles on one trip...
You are trying for a peak time. Award flights can become available from 355/330 days out depending on the airlines/ffp's. You are ~6 months too late in looking. Most, if not all, saver/standard awards will have gone months ago.

If you have UA & DL miles you must use them with UA/DL. They cannot be transferred.
Look from LAX (or SFO) to any airport in Germany or close by Eu country (Netherlands, France, Belgium, etc) Then a train to Nuremberg.

Link from awardace.com (a guide only) http://www.awardace.com/redemptions/...p_type=one_way
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:58 am

Would have thought Munich would have offered much better options, it's not long at all on the train from there
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I am a frequent visitor to Bamberg, about 50 miles north of Nürnberg. FRA is my second choice of airport as you can get a long distance train right at the airport. As well as MUC, Delta also flies to Stuttgart (STR) which is not as convenient but is worth looking at.

Deutsche Bahn runs a bus from Prague to Nürnberg so you might check PRG as well.

The other German city that Delta services is DUS. There are frequent fast trains between Düsseldorf and Nürnberg and if you purchase tickets far enough in advance the fares can be quite reasonable.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by briantravel

I have checked out the award bookings through them and they dont look too hot.

What is the best course of action? Im not trying to spend all my miles on one trip...

You need to seriously reset your expectations.
As others have noted, you are hoping to travel at peak holiday season - hence award travel (particularly saver awards) are very limited, if not non-existent.
You needed to be looking and booking months and months ago.
Also, you don't have a lot of miles at all. And to say you don't want to spend all your miles at once is, I'm afraid, completely unrealistic.
A cursory look at MP award travel from LAX-Frankfurt on December 22 shows some availability for 65,000 miles one-way.
You can move your dates around a bit or pay cash or forget about Xmas 2017 and try for 2018.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:22 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

We have moved this thread from the Germany Forum, as from our point of view the focus is more about the travel details rather than the desination.

There is a redirect from the Germany Forum for the next 30 days.

FLYGVA
co-moderator Germany Forum
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Thank you guys who offered assistance! I found some 30k flights to Frankfurt. Going to take the train and get there
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Welcome to FT.

If your dates are flexible, here is another possibility for 30k each way, though it may not be as attractive as what you found already. All flights are on UA.

Leave LAX on Dec 19th at 6:17 AM (via EWR) or 6:56 AM (via AUS and EWR) to TXL (Berlin) arriving the next day.

Return on January 8th from ZRH to SNA via EWR, leaving at 10:20 AM and arriving at 8:57 PM.

Frankfurt is closer to NUE, but if you have extra time and want to see a couple of other cities, these flights might be of interest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.