Wiki Posts
Search

Best business class using points NYC to SYD and/or MEL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Best business class using points NYC to SYD and/or MEL

Hi all:
My husband and I have been collecting points on Chase Rewards, AA, Starwood and Aeroplan and are hoping to book RT business class flights NYC - Sydney or NYC > Sydney and Melbourne > NYC in February/March 2018. Would love recommendations for best business class to use with our miles.

Thank you for any and all help.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:25 am

The best business class to Australia is on whatever airline may have availability.

Not to mention that this question has been asked numerous times:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...australia.html
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:31 am
Original Poster

@UpgradeMe, that thread you linked to is from 2013. As I am sure you are aware, things are likely to change significantly in the airline business over 4 years.

I am booking far enough in advance and am flexible enough with dates that choice will likely be an issue. Will remain hopeful that there are other pros on FT who are willing and able to give me helpful advice. The site and its members have never let me down before.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
You're better off figuring out who has seats available. If you're lucky and there is more than one airline with multiple seats available on the dates you want, then ask for a specific comparison between them.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks, @ajeleonard.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Here is one more recent, of the dozens, threads about getting ot Australia on points. The second post will give you a lot of info.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...ss-sydney.html

More: https://www.google.com/search?q=best...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you @Yoshi212!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by AnnaMcD
Will remain hopeful that there are other pros on FT who are willing and able to give me helpful advice.
My comments about availability and the question having been asked (numerous) times in the past are valid.

Please let us know when you find wide open business class availability for two to Australia booking 7-8 months out. As just one example, I find zero *A availability to/from NYC-SYD/MEL for the entire two month period.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AnnaMcD
..My husband and I have been collecting points on Chase Rewards, AA, Starwood and Aeroplan and are hoping to book RT business class flights NYC - Sydney or NYC > Sydney and Melbourne > NYC in February/March 2018. Would love recommendations for best business class to use with our miles.
As the posts above the best will be what you can get. Business/first class awards USA Aust return are hard to get on all airlines. Getting 2 on the same flights is 3 times as hard. Look for one ways from any major USA airport to BNE/SYD/MEL. You need to be very flexible with date, route and airline. Buy USA Aust domestic flights as needed. If you find 1 award seat available just book it. You are behind the game looking for Feb/Mar. People start booking awards 355/330 days out.

AA threads
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to/from Australia (not from all airports to all airports)
- American Airlines AA (LAX - SYD) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner)
- Air Canada AC (YYR – SYD, BNE, MEL 1 Dec 2017 to 1 Feb 2018 ) [Star Alliance]
- Air New Zealand NZ (LAX SFO IAH YVR via AKL) [Star Alliance]
- Air Tahiti Nui TN (LAX via Tahiti. Last segments on codeshares) (AA & DL partner)
- Delta DL (LAX – SYD) (VA & AS partner) [Skyteam Alliance]
- Fiji Airways FJ (LAX SFO HNL – BNE SYD MEL ADL via Fiji) (QF, AA & AS partner)
- Hawaiian HA (HNL – BNE SYD) (AA & VA partner)
- Jetstar JQ JQ (HNL – SYD BNE)
- Qantas QF (LAX SFO JFK DFW HNL YVR*– BNE SYD MEL) [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner) {* seasonal}
- United UA (LAX SFO – SYD MEL) [Star Alliance]
- Virgin Australia VA (LAX – BNE SYD MEL) (DL partner)
And others via Asia & Middle East
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Don't forget Cathay Pacific!
Maybe JAL?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Don't forget Cathay Pacific!
Maybe JAL?
Via Asia has more options, but is may be 2 awards depending on the ffp. Over the last few years some people from USA going to Oz Fest have had award flights via Asia. TG seems popular with UA freq flyers.

Chase http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...tc-2017-a.html
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:24 pm

SQ as well
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:24 am

BA First has been called the best business class in the sky.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:59 am

[QUOTE=AnnaMcD;28531212
I am booking far enough in advance [QUOTE]

The problem you will likely face is that you ARE NOT... as already suggested several times....

At this stage it really will be a case of "whats left".....US to OZ (OR VV) is a truly tough redemption...especially if you don't jump in as seats are released....

Best of luck...but please.. grab WHATEVER you can find.... immediately!

Ive had surprisingly good luck twice with NH (All Nippon)......its two long flights...but their Business class is very good....
Old Jul 8, 2017, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Thank you @trooper, @audio-nut, @Techno36, @Mwenenzi, @sweetsleep!
@UpgradeMe clearly my comment about the willingness and ability of other flyertalk pros to give helpful advice is valid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.