Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

PRG - BOS business - LH, LX, BA or AF

PRG - BOS business - LH, LX, BA or AF

Old Jun 20, 17, 9:21 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: PRG, BOS
Posts: 28
PRG - BOS business - LH, LX, BA or AF

I am travelling with family from PRG to BOS middle of August. As the prices are same/similar, we can choose (in business class) for the TATL between:

LH: FRA-BOS on B748i
LH: MUC-BOS on A359
LX: ZRH-BOS on A343
BA: LHR-BOS on either B744 or B773
AF: CDG-BOS on B773

Which of these business seats would you recommend? We are group of three, so that 2 windows / 1 middle aisle would be OK. Biggest factor is quality sleeping and safety.
As in respect to the airports: I do not like CDG nor FRA much, I believe MUC or ZRH would be better for transfer.
Thanks in advance for suggestions.
jan8 is offline  
Old Jun 20, 17, 12:10 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 7,977
First off you shouldn't be worried about safety on any of these carriers.

In terms of sleep, they all have issues:

1) LH 748i - google "footsie" - whoever sits on their own is going to have to deal with that
2) LH A359 - see above though only an issue for the middle set of seats, the other two sets of seats or in a more traditional layout
3) LX A343- you have to pay for throne seat assignment now on LX
4) BA 744/773- same issue as the above plus it's BA dorm style layout
5) AF 773 - if it features BEST it's probably your best bet using reverse herringbone style (1-2-1), it's also the least dense configuration of any of these business classes (again caveat if it's a BEST configuration, old AF J is to be avoided)

Last edited by Duke787; Jun 20, 17 at 3:41 pm
Duke787 is offline  
Old Jun 20, 17, 12:42 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: PRG, BOS
Posts: 28
Thank you Duke787. I've just tried booking for the AF773 and the seat assignment shows 2-3-2 in the J. Probably the older seats?

I am thinking of doing LH FRA-BOS on B748 (UD) and BOS-MUC on A359 for the return flight. 25 yo son can play the footsie in the middle seat, hopefully with some nice looking lady
I understand the A359 is kind of new plane, would it be OK in respect with safety?

Last edited by jan8; Jun 20, 17 at 2:19 pm
jan8 is offline  
Old Jun 20, 17, 3:09 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 7,977
Originally Posted by jan8 View Post
Thank you Duke787. I've just tried booking for the AF773 and the seat assignment shows 2-3-2 in the J. Probably the older seats?

I am thinking of doing LH FRA-BOS on B748 (UD) and BOS-MUC on A359 for the return flight. 25 yo son can play the footsie in the middle seat, hopefully with some nice looking lady
I understand the A359 is kind of new plane, would it be OK in respect with safety?
Absolutely no safety concerns with the A359 - it's been flown for close to 2.5 years at this point by a wide variety of carriers (AY, LH, QR, CX, SQ, TG, CI, VN, and the first DL A359 will be delivered shortly and will begin appearing on DL routes starting this fall and I'm probably missing a couple in there as well).

It's as safe as any other Boeing or Airbus plane you could fly.
Duke787 is offline  
Old Jun 20, 17, 3:18 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 25,676
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
First off you shouldn't be worried about safety on any of these carriers.

In terms of sleep, they all have issues:

1) LH 748i - google "footsie" - whoever sits on their own is going to have to deal with that
2) LH A359 - see above though only an issue for the middle set of seats, the other two sets of seats or in a more traditional layout
3) LX A343- you have to pay for seat assignment now on LX even in J
4) BA 744/773- same issue as the above plus it's BA dorm style layout
5) AF 773 - if it features BEST it's probably your best bet using reverse herringbone style (1-2-1), it's also the least dense configuration of any of these business classes (again caveat if it's a BEST configuration, old AF J is to be avoided)
not true. I just got seat assignments today. Where are you hearing this?
cfischer is offline  
Old Jun 20, 17, 3:40 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 7,977
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
not true. I just got seat assignments today. Where are you hearing this?
You are right just throne seats require payment my apologies I'll modify.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...hon-sen-5.html
Duke787 is offline  
Old Jun 21, 17, 5:15 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: PRG, BOS
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Absolutely no safety concerns with the A359 - it's been flown for close to 2.5 years at this point by a wide variety of carriers (AY, LH, QR, CX, SQ, TG, CI, VN, and the first DL A359 will be delivered shortly and will begin appearing on DL routes starting this fall and I'm probably missing a couple in there as well).

It's as safe as any other Boeing or Airbus plane you could fly.
One more question if I may: how would the J in LX A343 compare to LH B748/A359? I understand it may be a bit dated, nevertheless it still might be better than LH for sleeping?
And again: I've red somewhere, that A343 is a little bit more jumpy in turbulences than say B744/B748. Is that the case?
The reason I am asking is that ZRH would be the best transfer for us from all the possibilities.
Well, actually there is one more option: DL from PRG-JFK on B763 and then JFK-BOS.... I normaly did not consider this as I'd like to avoid transfer at JFK.

Last edited by jan8; Jun 21, 17 at 5:32 am
jan8 is offline  
Old Jun 21, 17, 8:39 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: BOS/MHT/PVD/BDL
Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Posts: 697
Prices, connections being equal I would have recommended LX, but hearing that ZRH offers better connections, than I'd definitely go with LX. Travelling as a group of 3 you won't have to neighbor-up with a stranger, whereas (I might be mistaken) on LH one in your party will have to sleep next to another passenger. Not horrible, but a factor to consider. Lastly the BOS-ZHR flight would give you the most amount of time out of any of your stated options to sleep.
flyaxa is offline  
Old Jun 21, 17, 11:20 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: PRG, BOS
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by flyaxa View Post
Prices, connections being equal I would have recommended LX, but hearing that ZRH offers better connections, than I'd definitely go with LX. Travelling as a group of 3 you won't have to neighbor-up with a stranger, whereas (I might be mistaken) on LH one in your party will have to sleep next to another passenger. Not horrible, but a factor to consider. Lastly the BOS-ZHR flight would give you the most amount of time out of any of your stated options to sleep.
How is the connection in ZRH for Schengen-USA flights? We would have 1hr 10mins transfer time for the outbound flight. I believe we will not need to go through security, just the Schengen exit passport control?
As previously stated, throne seats are for an additional surcharge. Also "K" window seats in rows 7, 9, 11 and 14 are available for Senator / HON Circle only. Looks like the best option will be row 10 D,G,K or the bulkhead seats in row 6.
Is there any preference in LX for either A343 or A333?

Last edited by jan8; Jun 21, 17 at 11:29 am
jan8 is offline  
Old Jun 22, 17, 3:13 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: PRG, BOS
Posts: 28
Wow, all prices have jumped by $300 per pass. on average since yesterday

Anyway, I've narrowed it down to these four options:

1. DL on A333 via AMS: would prefer this because of its J class seat and also connection time in AMS. Shortest sleep time for TATL. Best arrival time to BOS.
2. LX on A343 via ZRH: connection also OK, longer sleep time. Unfortunately best seats are either not available or for surcharge (throne).
3. LH on A359 via MUC: good transfer, slightly longer connection time for the inbound leg, longer sleep time. Probably worst J seat from these three. On the other side we'll be able to combine with one leg on B748 via FRA.
4. BA on A388 via LHR: currently best price and quite good departure and arrival times. Dorm style layout in J, shorter sleep time. 3 hours transfer time at LHR should be more than enough.

Our niece has extreme fear of flying. May therefore the 4 engine planes be a better choice (quieter UD, lower rate of climb during takeoff, less prone to turbulences)?

Tough decision...

Last edited by jan8; Jun 22, 17 at 3:50 pm
jan8 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: