Lie Flat Premium Seats

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UR, MR, TYP
Lie Flat Premium Seats

Hey there,

First post! YAY!

Question: I'm booking a flight on 8/16 from NYC > MEX. Ideally, I'd like to find some lie flat seats in a premium cabin. Is there a way to search with this kind of specificity?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT!

Yes there is. Go to Wikipedia and search MEX. That will tell you which airlines fly from that airport to the NYC area. Then go to those airlines and make a sample booking to MEX and see what type of aircraft/service they use. I believe Aeromexico uses a 787-9 with flat seats for one of its rotations.

Last edited by LondonElite; Jun 14, 2017 at 1:34 am Reason: Changed 787-8 to 787-9
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
As noted there is an Aeromexico flight on a 789 at 2:45pm on 8/16 (AM 409).

Note that it costs a premium vs. the non lie-flat flights on AM/DL ($1105 vs. $980) and a fairly big premium over the Y fare ($473 vs. $1105).

Here's a link straight to the lie-flat flight:

https://goo.gl/flights/KZjN
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Not to rain on your plans, but I personally would not spend a lot more or take a less convenient flight for a 5.5 hour flight in a lie-flat. It just doesn't make that much of a difference unless you are planning on sleeping the entire flight. YMMV.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

WOW! For my first post, I got 4 incredibly useful, friendly, helpful responses. This is above and beyond what I ever expected! Thank y'all!! So honored!

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I saw that one, single Dreamliner flight on AM. I was hoping to use an award to book it for myself and a friend (using my Chase UR points), but the seat was not available on delta.com for awards, so I'm guessing it's a no-go. I also had no luck online at Korean Skypass.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by laffingleigh
WOW! For my first post, I got 4 incredibly useful, friendly, helpful responses. This is above and beyond what I ever expected! Thank y'all!! So honored!

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I saw that one, single Dreamliner flight on AM. I was hoping to use an award to book it for myself and a friend (using my Chase UR points), but the seat was not available on delta.com for awards, so I'm guessing it's a no-go. I also had no luck online at Korean Skypass.
Don't forget you can also redeem your UR directly though the Chase travel portal (for 1.25 CPP if you have a CSP or 1.5 CPP if you have a CSR) it's a pretty horrible value in this case but certainly an option.

If you have a CSR it would cost 73667 points/person based on a ticket price of $1105 which is a very high price to pay (by comparison sake you can fly TATL J on a partner for 70k UR ---> UA or on UA metal in J to Asia for 70k)
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:59 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Are you only flying one-way?

The Aeromexico flights price much cheaper per leg as a round-trip.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W
Are you only flying one-way?

The Aeromexico flights price much cheaper per leg as a round-trip.
The plan is to fly one-way because I'm bringing a friend with me. He's leaving early, so I can't book round trip for him as well.

This is intriguing....although it does bother me that I can get business class for 30K points....or pay $1,000 each. Ugh. I want to do points only. I don't see an affordable way to do only points (or actually any way to do points!).
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:56 pm
Suspended

I'm probably missing something, but what does your friend's early departure have to do with not buying a return ticket for either one of you?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

This is me not knowing better. I was thinking that, since we're traveling together there, I should purchase the ticket there together.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:20 am
Suspended

No need to do that. You can buy two separate return tickets!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Oh, I guess this gets complicated for one reason. I'm paying for my roundtrip but his one-way there (unless his round trip is so affordable that I could afford both).

ULTIMATELY, though, my biggest thought is trying to get that one 2:45p Aeromexico flight (AM 409) as an award flight, if it's possible. I don't see it on delta.com and Korean Skypass website isn't picking it up either. I'm guessing it's not possible?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:57 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by laffingleigh
Oh, I guess this gets complicated for one reason. I'm paying for my roundtrip but his one-way there (unless his round trip is so affordable that I could afford both).

ULTIMATELY, though, my biggest thought is trying to get that one 2:45p Aeromexico flight (AM 409) as an award flight, if it's possible. I don't see it on delta.com and Korean Skypass website isn't picking it up either. I'm guessing it's not possible?
Well you two could agree, for example, that you will pay for half of his round trip. Or you could look at the fare breakdown and divide his fare by the actual cost for the outbound and return.

The chances of finding even one business class award seat on any international flight in July one month out is basically nill, two is even harder. This is the kind of award people book 11 months out and still have to be flexible with their dates.

Perhaps some FlyerTalk award wizard can find you inventory, but don't count on it.

Personally, I would use Chase UR through the UR portal if you're trying to save cash, if you have the CSR 1.5cpm is pretty good.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W
Well you two could agree, for example, that you will pay for half of his round trip. Or you could look at the fare breakdown and divide his fare by the actual cost for the outbound and return.

The chances of finding even one business class award seat on any international flight in July one month out is basically nill, two is even harder. This is the kind of award people book 11 months out and still have to be flexible with their dates.

Perhaps some FlyerTalk award wizard can find you inventory, but don't count on it.

Personally, I would use Chase UR through the UR portal if you're trying to save cash, if you have the CSR 1.5cpm is pretty good.
Good idea. I have to see the prices and see if it is that important to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.