Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Book-Cancel-UseMiles for reimbursed travel?

Old Jun 1, 17, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

I'm being reimbursed by a workshop organizer for travel (not my employer).

The deal is that they will cover airfare up to a certain amount. I was thinking of doing the following: Book the ticket and cancel within 24 hours, get receipt and use that for reimbursement. Then, immediately after cancellation rebook the same flight itinerary using my miles.

Has anyone done this before?

The net effect after reimbursement is that I've converted my miles to cash. Are any issues likely to come up?

I'd figure if they really want to check, it would seem like I am on the same ticket. Also, can provide credit card statement with the airfare charge, if they ever need one. But for business travel reimbursement, do they ever dig more than a receipt?
Old Jun 1, 17, 8:40 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Yeah, sounds totally ethical and honest.
Old Jun 1, 17, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Sounds like fraud to me. Could damage your relationships with that and other organizers and potential tax implications.
Old Jun 1, 17, 11:08 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 View Post
Are any issues likely to come up?
Yeah, you may end up being charged for fraud! You present documents to your employer/organisation with the purpose of reimbursement, however, you know that the documents does not reflect expenses actually incurred If this was against your employer you most likely would be fired (which would be a mild reaction; some employers would involve the police too).

Very bad idea dude...
Old Jun 1, 17, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

But how would they figure it out?
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
They won't, dude. Great idea. Go for it. You've stumbled on to something big, here.
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:00 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
I agree that the chance is minor, but if you are unlucky they will.

Have you ever heard of audits?... Forget it! - not worth the risk.
Old Jun 2, 17, 12:05 am

Some expenses require ticket numbers - they could easily run a check and see it as cancelled.
Old Jun 2, 17, 8:14 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
So for a different kind of reply...

I knew someone years ago who worked at a large company which had a policy to cover such a situation. The employee could be reimbursed something like 60-70% of the cost of the regular, revenue fare if an employee wanted to travel on his miles. Possible win win for employee and employer given the right (likely high) revenue fare.
Old Jun 8, 17, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As the OP is seeking something that bordering violation with Flyertalk's Terms of Service, we'll close this thread.

Originally Posted by flyertalk.com
Deceptive, Dishonest, Illegal or Fraudulent Posting

Posts that misquote or mischaracterize other posts or members, or contain deceptive, dishonest or knowingly inaccurate information are not allowed.

Supporting, encouraging or promoting illegal activity or fraud upon an individual or company is prohibited.
~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Search this Thread
Search Engine: