Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

how to get my family on same flight?

how to get my family on same flight?

Old Feb 23, 17, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation how to get my family on same flight?

So I'm good at booking a trip for myself but now that Canada immigration has finished I have a narrow window to go and get my family and bring them home
I can find cheap round trip tickets from yyz to bkk but to get my family from bkk to yyz I keep coming up with either cheap trips on different airlines or ridiculous pricing to get them on the same flight I'd be on on a round trip.

Does anyone know the best way to get my family home together?
Old Feb 24, 17, 12:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
If I understand correctly, you are in Canada and your family are in BKK and the plan is you want a return ticket to BKK and they will fly one way BKK to YYZ on the same plane as your return...Am I right?

As one ways are often as expensive as a return, you could check the return prices for them which may end up cheaper, or possibly on a Low cost airline which prices One way (Norwegian for example via NYC) transiting in Europe. This would need separate tickets but might be the cheapest option.

If you have dates, im sure one of us can look for you.
Old Feb 24, 17, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Due to silly reasons with my work I'm looking to possibly depart on the 1st and return by the 9th of march
Old Feb 24, 17, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Unless I'm just making this more complicated than it needs be I should just book 3 round trips from yyz.... eat the loss on one way on 2 tickets since it's actually way cheaper
Old Feb 24, 17, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Talon59 View Post
Unless I'm just making this more complicated than it needs be I should just book 3 round trips from yyz.... eat the loss on one way on 2 tickets since it's actually way cheaper
Only problem is that if they dont fly the first leg, the ticket will be cancelled as a no show, so their tickets would need to be BKK-YYZ-BKK, with the return not being used.
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

that's so absurd they would cancel the tickets? there are no overlapping flights that i've found between the run from yyz to bkk and bkk to yyz...
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If there are a sufficient number of low-tier frequent-flyer award seats available on the BKK-YYZ routing you plan to fly, consider just purchasing from an airline the requisite number of miles needed to redeem for one-way award tickets. That might be less expensive than buying one-way or roundtrip cash tickets.
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

as often as I've traveled to thailand I have yet to rack up any significant miles with and ff program to cash them in for anything
Old Feb 24, 17, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

as often as I've traveled to thailand I have yet to rack up any significant miles with and ff program to cash them in for anything
That's irrelevant to the point of my post.

If you're looking to minimize the cost of one-way tickets from BKK to YYZ, you should investigate the cost of buying the miles you need to redeem for one-way award tickets. It doesn't matter if you do not currently have any frequent-flyer miles; it doesn't even matter if you've never flown before!
Old Feb 25, 17, 4:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
that's so absurd they would cancel the tickets? there are no overlapping flights that i've found between the run from yyz to bkk and bkk to yyz...
This is how all airline tickets work. You have to travel in the sequence set out in the ticket. Miss a segment and the rest of the ticket is automatically cancelled. You really have two choices if you want your family to be on the same flight as yourself:

1. Buy a one-way ticket from BKK to YYZ on your flights. This is probably expensive, or

2. Buy a return BKK-YYZ-BKK where the BKK to YYZ is on the same flight as yours. The return date is irrelevant as you won't be using it, so play around with dates to get the price down. This ticket probably won't be cheap either, but it probably won't be as expensive as 1.
Old Feb 25, 17, 4:23 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
that's so absurd they would cancel the tickets?
Well that's how airline tickets work. The general rule is that you have to fly the segments (i.e. flights) in the booked sequence.

As always there are exceptions to the rule and some airlines either have specific fares that allow altering the flight sequence or that calculate their fares on a oneway basis anyway. IIRC Ryanair is one of the very few carriers that do not cancel the return leg.
Old Feb 25, 17, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
If you're just paying cash, a somewhat competent travel agent in Toronto should be able to do this no problem.

(Looking on my own, you can buy a roundtrip on Cathay yourself, and a oneway on the same return flight, just on Kayak)

Last edited by Adam1222; Feb 25, 17 at 8:29 pm
Old Feb 25, 17, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if this is of any help to the OP, but DL is currently offering a $290 USD one-way fare from PVG to YYZ -- via the U.S. -- on selected dates in March/April.

Are there any cheap BKK-PVG one-way fares?
Old Feb 26, 17, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Ended up with 1 way from yyz to bkk and round trips from south china airlines thank you for your input everyone

Search this Thread