Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Jul 1-20 Italy Airfare Help

Old Feb 23, 17, 9:18 am
Original Poster

I know little late to planning, but trying to book July trip to Italy and airfare seems crazy. Planning to go to Rome, Venice & Florence from EWR, NYC, or PHL area.... then at end flying to MCO. I have checked going in to FCO, VCE, even Milan and can go 1+/- days but air seems about $1,100 or more. Mad that 10 days ago, saw air total ewr-FCo, 7/1, then VCE - MCO 7/20 for $684 total and didn't book since was waiting on my daughter date confirmation, as it's her hs grad present.

Now I'm checking everyday and not seen any good deals. Is it that need to wait til about March 1, 120 days before for any sale or you think this will be the air costs and missed sales?

I also have UA miles, but not enough for 2 of us RT, without buying miles. Was hoping to just book, then use MR miles to cover.
I have been playing with combinations, like just doing RT to Italy, then sep ticket for EWR-MCO RT, but doesn't help. Also, to do 1 way purchase and use 1 way award ticket doesn't help either since 1 way fare is crazy.
Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 17, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
1 award ticket and 1 revenue ticket?

You're going to a high demand area during peak travel times while late to the game.
Old Feb 23, 17, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Get familiar with ITA Matrix if you aren't already. Quick search of those dates shows a number of flights for ~$930. No, it's not $684, but it's not $1,100+ either.
Old Feb 23, 17, 10:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Look up combined Hotel and Airfare vacations. For example on using say European Destinations which is a travel company the price for 2 including flight to Rome and back from Venice with hotels in these cities along with the train fare involved on a Friday in July is about 2400 USD. You get the drift. Of course you can look up other companies too.A package vacation is usually a better deal. If this sounds too much then by all means look up Google flights and at various dates and permutations. Full disclosure, I mention this company having used them 4 times in the last 4 years and not as an advertisement. What about trying vacation packages from United Airlines? Call them or look it up on their site. Have a nice trip.
Old Feb 23, 17, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Thank you for advice. I will also look into packages. I hadn't done so, since wanted to look into renting apt and not yet sure how many nights each place. Been checking ITA Matrix, but really mad at self or not getting that low fare, with great flights, short travel time, etc. Now seeing mostly secondary airlines, etc. especially since EWR is about $200 less car ride than JFK each way.
Also, thought about 1 tix revenue and 1 award, but only higher level awards left. I am going to try wait 1 more week, maybe see if 3/1 does anything, then just buy. Last year, AMEX offered 30% miles discount return on my Africa flight. That was great!
Old Feb 23, 17, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Play around with Google Flights, I can get it as low as $789 but requires you to book 3 separate itineraries:

EWR - CDG - DUS - EWR (combination of UA/EuroWings/LH) $576/person
CDG - MXP - CDG (AirFrance) $106/person
EWR - MCO (JetBlue) $107/person
Old Feb 24, 17, 11:12 am
Original Poster

THx. but I dont see the italy except after EWR.
Ideally this is plan to go to Italy:

7/1/17 - EWR to FCO or VCE
7/20/17 VCE (or reverse end of trip FCO) to MCO

then probably need sep tix from MCO to EWR on 7/30/17 - that part is cheap
Old Feb 24, 17, 11:54 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by de13 View Post
THx. but I dont see the italy except after EWR.
Ideally this is plan to go to Italy:

7/1/17 - EWR to FCO or VCE
7/20/17 VCE (or reverse end of trip FCO) to MCO

then probably need sep tix from MCO to EWR on 7/30/17 - that part is cheap
The EWR - CDG - DUS - EWR roundtrip is 7/1 - 7/20. The CDG - MXP/VCE/FCO - CDG is 7/2 - 7/19 and the EWR - MCO portion is 7/20 timed to leave after the DUS - EWR LH flight returns but you have to search for it as those 3 sets of flights.

Google Flights is your friend here.

Search NYC - CDG for 7/1 - 7/20
Search CDG - MXP/VCE/FCO for 7/2 - 7/19
Search EWR - MCO for 7/20

Last edited by Duke787; Feb 24, 17 at 12:04 pm
Old Feb 24, 17, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
The EWR - CDG - DUS - EWR roundtrip is 7/1 - 7/20. The CDG - MXP/VCE/FCO - CDG is 7/2 - 7/19 and the EWR - MCO portion is 7/20 timed to leave after the DUS - EWR LH flight returns but you have to search for it as those 3 sets of flights.

Google Flights is your friend here.

Search NYC - CDG for 7/1 - 7/20
Search CDG - MXP/VCE/FCO for 7/2 - 7/19
Search EWR - MCO for 7/20

Ok. thanks! I will work on that tonight after work. Very helpful!

Search this Thread