Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

JAL/ANA Exit Rows

JAL/ANA Exit Rows

Old Feb 23, 17, 8:48 am
Original Poster

JAL/ANA Exit Rows

Hi,

First time poster so wasn't sure where to post this question so I will post it in the general forum.

Thinking of going to Japan in May and have been looking at tickets. I have a question in regards to JAL and ANA, is it possible to book the emergency exit seats in advance by paying extra? Like with Cathay you can pay like an extra $100 to get those seats. Does either JAL or ANA have this option and if yes how much is it?

I'm very tall so this would affect which airline I book with. Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 23, 17, 9:50 am

Not sure if this helps, but awhile back (>10 years ago), I just showed up early at the ANA check-in counter, the woman behind the counter saw how tall I was (and not even that tall at 6'), and asked if I wanted an exit row seat. No charge.

However, I don't fly enough to know the procedures for procuring exit row seats on JAL/ANA (e.g. on UA, you can purchase them in advance as E+ seats).
Old Feb 23, 17, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Can't answer about buying the exit row but I do know that JAL sells space available upgrades to PE for $300 (ex-US) and 30000 JPY (ex-Japan) at the check-in counter as an alternative option

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/130712.html
Old Feb 23, 17, 1:56 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
No, JAL does not sell exit row in advance. They are reserved for passengers with status only. Passengers without status could request for one free of charge at the airport if it is still available.
Old Feb 24, 17, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your responses.

For domestic flights I ususally go the route of trying to get the seat at the counter at time of flight and I'm successful more than half the time but with an international flight lasting 15hrs I do not want to chance it, I'm 6'7/204cm.

Does anyone know how much legroom is avaiable with PE? I've never sat in those seats on any airline but to me it doesn't seem to make much of a difference from Economoy.

So it doesn't seem like JAL has that option but does ANA? Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 24, 17, 9:59 am

Check out Seatguru.

To me, PE makes a pretty big difference. Generally, PE's pitch is 6+ inches more than economy. A quick search on Seatguru shows that PE on JAL has 42" of pitch and ANA has 38" of pitch on 777-300ER's.
Old Feb 24, 17, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Here's a good PE review from the JAL forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...my-review.html

Search this Thread