Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon to Maldives. Best use of points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:12 am
Original Poster

So I've been doing research for weeks, but I feel like I'm lost in a sea of information with the numerous rewards programs and places to redeem miles, as well as the wide variety of possible flights I can take to get to my destination. Any advice/pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

- Honeymoon to Maldives September 2017
- Currently have 225,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards Points with the Chase Reserve Card
- 33,000 points through ventureone

Leaving from JFK to Maldives, flexible dates September 19-22, returning Sept 30, Oct 1.

Ideally would like business class at least one way, as I don't believe I have anywhere near enough to fly first or round trip business.

I believe my options are to transfer my UR points to skypass or krisflyer in order to use them towards a trip to Maldives.

Really trying to avoid paying fuel surcharges flying emirates or singapore airlines, especially if they are over $500.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Look into using United miles on Turkish JFK-IST-MLE. 9/19 has 2 J seats available. 9/20 and 9/21 have JFK-IST in J then IST-MLE in Y. 9/22 has EWR-BOS-IST-MLE in J.

United charges 80k one way business, 42.5k one way economy. So for one way in business, the other in economy, for 2 passengers you'd need 245k. You're a bit short, but maybe you can make that happen.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukerau
Look into using United miles on Turkish JFK-IST-MLE. 9/19 has 2 J seats available. 9/20 and 9/21 have JFK-IST in J then IST-MLE in Y. 9/22 has EWR-BOS-IST-MLE in J.

United charges 80k one way business, 42.5k one way economy. So for one way in business, the other in economy, for 2 passengers you'd need 245k. You're a bit short, but maybe you can make that happen.
Thanks, I saw this exact one already. I just don't know if it's worth sitting around in Istanbul for a day just to save some money using points . I think in another month or so I'll have 250,000 points, but didn't think the Turkish route was appealing.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by gmireski1
Thanks, I saw this exact one already. I just don't know if it's worth sitting around in Istanbul for a day just to save some money using points . I think in another month or so I'll have 250,000 points, but didn't think the Turkish route was appealing.
I believe you'll face fuel surcharges with most other Chase UR options. SQ collects fuel surcharges on SQ flights (and for non-SQ flights, United miles will cost less). KE collects fuel surcharges. Flying Blue charges 100k each way for J and collects fuel surcharges. Using BA is distance specific, but best case would be flying JFK-DOH-MLE on QR for 95k each in J, and BA collects fuel surcharges. All that said, the Turkish option is pretty good. You could spend the day in Istanbul. Or just spend the long layover in arguably the best business class lounge in the world.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 1:10 pm

Sept the weather may not be best time to visit.
While this may be a bad move look into Marriott --> SPG --> Airline transfer and see if that makes sense to you. It looks on the outset to be pretty bad but you can look into it.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

I believe you'll face fuel surcharges with most other Chase UR options. SQ collects fuel surcharges on SQ flights (and for non-SQ flights, United miles will cost less). KE collects fuel surcharges. Flying Blue charges 100k each way for J and collects fuel surcharges. Using BA is distance specific, but best case would be flying JFK-DOH-MLE on QR for 95k each in J, and BA collects fuel surcharges. All that said, the Turkish option is pretty good. You could spend the day in Istanbul. Or just spend the long layover in arguably the best business class lounge in the world.
Looking further into it, the Istanbul lounge is pretty nice, so maybe 9 hours there isn't so bad.

So let's say I want to book on Turkish now. I need to transfer my points from UR to United Mileage Plus. Then once the points transfer, do I book through turkish airlines website, or through somewhere else? I wasn't finding anywhere to redeem points through the TA site. This is the part where I started getting lost
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Looking further into it, the Istanbul lounge is pretty nice, so maybe 9 hours there isn't so bad.

So let's say I want to book on Turkish now. I need to transfer my points from UR to United Mileage Plus. Then once the points transfer, do I book through turkish airlines website, or through somewhere else? I wasn't finding anywhere to redeem points through the TA site. This is the part where I started getting lost
You redeem your United Mileage Plus points on the United site.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:40 pm

UR transfers to United instantly (sign out of United and back in after initiating transfer from Chase). You can book Turkish award flights right on united.com.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:22 am
Original Poster

UR transfers to United instantly (sign out of United and back in after initiating transfer from Chase). You can book Turkish award flights right on united.com.
Got it, thanks. Is there anyway to use points when you are getting a deal through a travel site like expedia? Say I want to book flights + hotel together, is there a way to also redeem the points, or no?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Got it, thanks. Is there anyway to use points when you are getting a deal through a travel site like expedia? Say I want to book flights + hotel together, is there a way to also redeem the points, or no?
Well not on Expedia if you're talking UR points, but you could possibly do that through the Chase UR travel website using the option to redeem UR points in lieu of some of the cash cost (as a Reserve cardholder your points are worth $.015 each towards that). But you'd need to look at the cash cost of the tickets which may be a lesser redemption value than award tickets.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Well not on Expedia if you're talking UR points, but you could possibly do that through the Chase UR travel website using the option to redeem UR points in lieu of some of the cash cost (as a Reserve cardholder your points are worth $.015 each towards that). But you'd need to look at the cash cost of the tickets which may be a lesser redemption value than award tickets.
Got it. So right now it looks to be that I'll be about 25,000 points short.

What are the best cards to sign up for to get a good signup bonus that I can transfer to united along with the chase points? I already have chase ink, chase sapphire reserve and preferred, venture one (cant transfer points), etc. I believe I'm maxed out on Chase 5/24 rule as they won't approve my business for the chase ink preferred.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:34 am

Got it. So right now it looks to be that I'll be about 25,000 points short.

What are the best cards to sign up for to get a good signup bonus that I can transfer to united along with the chase points? I already have chase ink, chase sapphire reserve and preferred, venture one (cant transfer points), etc. I believe I'm maxed out on Chase 5/24 rule as they won't approve my business for the chase ink preferred.
If you are over 5/24, you can't get any of the Chase cards that earn Ultimate Rewards or United miles, unfortunately. If you are under 5/24, I would go with the United card. It's 50k miles right now + 5k for adding an AU. There's also a targeted 70k offer that you might have when you sign into your united.com account (search around for the link).

If you're over 5/24, consider using the UR you have to book the business class one way, and earn enough miles in another currency (Amex, AA, Delta, etc) for the other direction in economy. Or, since you have Chase Ink, consider how you could spend $4k-$5k in the 5x categories quickly. Even if you don't want to delve into MS, you could prepay your cable bill, buy gift cards at Office Depot or Staples for merchants you frequent (i.e., Amazon), etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.