Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Tokyo-Toronto, layover at DTW. No need to collect luggage? Anyone seen this before?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo-Toronto, layover at DTW. No need to collect luggage? Anyone seen this before?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott

My friend just flown from NRT to YYZ, layover at DTW. She got this sticker on her boarding pass. Does it mean she doesn't have to collect her luggage at DTW when going through US customs?

Ultimately when she's at YYZ, her luggage didnt arrive but airlines said it will be delivered to her tomorrow.

Would everything be fine? Should I be worried?

Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Nothing to worry about. If you're doing International-US-International on the same ticket you don't have to claim your luggage, it will be checked through to your final destination and you only need to pass immigration/customs with your carry-on.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I wouldn't worry quite yet. If it doesn't show up tomorrow as promised then your friend can start a possibly frustrating experience.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The shifting tenses in your OP make it hard to understand. Has your friend flown or not?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
The shifting tenses in your OP make it hard to understand. Has your friend flown or not?
Yes; she flew, she arrived, but her luggage did not.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by redadeco
Nothing to worry about. If you're doing International-US-International on the same ticket you don't have to claim your luggage, it will be checked through to your final destination and you only need to pass immigration/customs with your carry-on.

Hope this helps.
At certain hubs which offer ITI, not across the board
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott
Thank you all for your replies. First time learning about ITI Baggage. Didn't even know that exists. Will see what happens today.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Sorry, I was nervous and in a rush to get answers when I wrote the post and didn't re-read before posting. But yes, she got the ITI tag and flown from NRT, transit at DTW, didn't pick luggage and went through customs, then continued to her final destination at YYZ. The luggage didn't arrive with her, but DL said it will be send to her today. And I was nervous cause I'd never seen or heard of ITI before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.