Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Airlines good at releasing last minute business class awards?

Airlines good at releasing last minute business class awards?

Old Nov 29, 16, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sktnyc View Post
I am currently in India, waiting for my new passport. It is taking much longer than expected. Looks like I should be receiving my passport in the next two weeks. I would like to book my flight for MAA to SFO 3-5 days after I receive the passport.

I have enough miles for one-way business class to US (1 person) with American, United, and Alaska. Any suggestion on which airline to call, and which partner airlines that generally have the availability?

Thanks.
I'm probably stating the obvious, but have you verified that you won't need a visa in your new passport and that a one way ticket is sufficient with your travel documents for admission to the USA and also acceptable at all potential transfer points?
Old Dec 4, 16, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
You need to check it consistently. They (CX) release space up until basically T-1 hour. I've booked onto CX and KA flights as late as 36 hours before the first flight based on award space opening up last minute.

With BA, you also need to search point to point (e.g., you'll need to manually search all HKG - US Points of Entry - the BA website is not good at finding connecting flights). It's a huge PITA (see AwardNexus recommendation below) but you basically need to search HKG - LAX, HKG - JFK, HKG - BOS, HKG - EWR (sometimes shows under HKG - JFK), HKG - SFO, HKG - ORD individually to conclude if space exists. JFK/EWR and LAX have the most available seats so are usually your best bet though ORD during the middle of the week can be fairly empty.

You might also use the QF or JL websites to verify that BA is correct (QF is easier to navigate) - there have been some reports recently that BA isn't seeing all CX space at the moment.

Would be useful to get an AwardNexus account or other - you get some free searches with an FT account and can pay for more.

You could also get a a free EF membership, look at loads, and then compare to what BA is showing as available for award (e.g., J=3 and BA shows 2 J awards; F=2 and BA shows 2 F awards).

Keep in mind AS allows a free stopover so you can do: MAA - HKG (1-2 nights due to award availability) - US.

With AS miles you can also do EK J for 82.5k (can search directly on the AS website for that), KLM/AF for 70k (search directly on AS website), or BA for 70k + $cam charges (also search directly on AS website).
Very good advice here, but especially re AwardNexus.com. It's not absolutely perfect, but is a very good resource.

Also, as Duke878 pointed out, it sometimes can work best to first find the transpacific leg availability, then search for (usually more easily available) legs to get you from India to HKG (or NRT, or some other transpacific departure point).

If you do avail of AwardNexus, you'll find that multiple airline sites it searches overlap - e.g., BA, QF and JL all in effect can search for CX flights. It can make sense to search all of them - recently I found 2 F seats on CX by checking the BA box at AwardNexus, even though JL (which usually is the best single site for checking CX, IME) didn't show them.

Good luck!
Old Dec 5, 16, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
So, what happened?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: