Original Poster

Hidden city ticketing - SJC-NRT

Found accidentally by looking up fares on google flights :

One way nonstop flight SJC-NRT on 11/23 :
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...11-27;tt=o;s=0
Showing $1073 as of this reading.

Add nonstop NRT-SGN one week later on 11/30:
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...-30;tt=m;s=0,0
Now it drops to $777 - savings of $296 !

It gets better :
Add SGN-SFO another week later (this one with a stop) on 12/7 :

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...-07;tt=m;s=0,0
Now it drops to $711, saving another $66 .

Edit : found another one for $702 by changing the last leg to SGN-LAX :

Or $686 by changing the last leg to SGN-SEA :

Questions :

1) why does skiplagged.com not find any of this ? Is it because of the United lawsuit ?

2) if you are only traveling SJC-NRT and don't care about the other 2 flights, is there any reason not to book this and just throw away the other 2 tickets ?

3) SGN (Vietnam) needs a visa.

Is there any chance that the airline would ask to see the Vietnam on 11/23, the day of the initial SJC-NRT flight ? Could they deny boarding if it's not there ?

4) if not flying those flights #2 and #3, is there any way that makes sense to cancel and reschedule the flight for a later date ? Or do you just have to throw them away ?

5) can I just keep adding more and more flights and drop the ticket price even more ;-) ?

6) what's the best way to find these kind of hidden city deals ? skiplagged doesn't seem to be it ..

Last edited by madbrain; Sep 14, 2016 at 4:07 pm
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:15 pm

Put a longer than 1 week delay so you can say "I will be getting my vietnam visa in tokyo". Or worst case, pay the $25 online fees to a vietnamese agency to give you the invitation letter.

No issues otherwise. Reason for price drop is likely because taxes/fees from Vietnam are cheaper.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomii
Put a longer than 1 week delay so you can say "I will be getting my vietnam visa in tokyo". Or worst case, pay the $25 online fees to a vietnamese agency to give you the invitation letter.
Thanks.

I just learned that French citizens are now visa-exempt for stays of < 15 days in Vietnam as of a few months ago, so I guess I don't even need to do that. I can just show my second passport if they ask.

No issues otherwise. Reason for price drop is likely because taxes/fees from Vietnam are cheaper.
That doesn't seem to be the case, at least it's not shown in the tax breakdown.
When booking the first flight by itself at $1073, the taxes shown are only $29.90 according to Orbitz.

Last edited by madbrain; Sep 15, 2016 at 3:41 pm
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by nomii
Or worst case, pay the $25 online fees to a vietnamese agency to give you the invitation letter.
Actually there is now competition for the Visa-on-arrival letter, so you can get it for under $10
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: AC, ANZ, MH
Originally Posted by madbrain
2) if you are only traveling SJC-NRT and don't care about the other 2 flights, is there any reason not to book this and just throw away the other 2 tickets ?

it actually make sense to book it, since last time I flew to Japan on a one-way ticket the airline wouldn't let me board without an exit ticket (even though the japanese consulate said it wasn't a requirement). so thanks for the trick, could be useful next time i go
Old Sep 19, 2016, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Actually there is now competition for the Visa-on-arrival letter, so you can get it for under $10
Where, if you don't mind me asking ? My husband may need one.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by madbrain
Where, if you don't mind me asking ? My husband may need one.
VietnamImmigration.org $8

I used them last time (used another one time prior). Quick, easy, no issues.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
VietnamImmigration.org $8

I used them last time (used another one time prior). Quick, easy, no issues.
Thank you !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.