Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Is there any difference between AA, DL, UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there any difference between AA, DL, UA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I've been with all three over 15 years and during that time have lived in NYC, Atlanta, Kansas City and the Southwest. Today the FF programs are pretty much the same so for me it really comes down to hubs and flight availability for places I need to go. Now I fly with AA because I live in Southern California and they offer the best flight solutions for me. When I lived in the South, I flew with DL. I used United with I lived in NYC back in the 90's. Things are constantly changing though so I reevaluate yearly to make sure I have the best plan. Good luck!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Delta IFE is free on personal electronics, while I believe AA charges (even if flying in F) for some movies. DL has Woodford, UA has Buffalo Trace.

I was on a WN flight once and on take off the flight attendant announced the pilots were going to make a steep climb and they were just going to throw the peanuts/snacks down the aisle and passengers should reach out to grab some if you were hungry. That type of comedy should count for free IFE IMO.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Youngmiler
DL has Woodford, UA has Buffalo Trace.
AA has had Woodford since April

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ch-coming.html
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
Blasphemy, I was on AA (CHS-CLT-LAS) in F and they didn't have it on either plane at the end of May
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Yes, AA can't seem to manage to get you to your destination on time......that's the big difference for me.
Unfortunately agree with this.

Originally Posted by cmd320
This is a huge and increasing problem for AA. Being delayed is never good and AA is currently the worst in terms of on time flights. Not great in general, but especially if you're flying in Y, you want things to be on time.
And, even as an elite, you're likely to be spending more time in Y on AA now than you were a year ago. As a lowly Gold, I went from years of hoping for a chance to upgrade to F, without about 50% success, to now hoping to "upgrade" to MCE with about that same 50% success rate.

Originally Posted by cmd320
In terms of the actual seat, Y is Y.
Disagree with this. In June I flew B6 for the first time in years after pure US/AA loyalty. Let me tell ya - Y is not Y. Their standard Y (not Even More Space) is better than any plain Y seat on the AA domestic fleet and was IMO more comfortable than MCE. I'm not going to make a habit of B6 because I enjoy the network/alliance/FFP benefits of AA (for now...) but a pure cash flyer whose needs align with the B6 network should give them a serious look.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by arlflyer

Disagree with this. In June I flew B6 for the first time in years after pure US/AA loyalty. Let me tell ya - Y is not Y. Their standard Y (not Even More Space) is better than any plain Y seat on the AA domestic fleet and was IMO more comfortable than MCE. I'm not going to make a habit of B6 because I enjoy the network/alliance/FFP benefits of AA (for now...) but a pure cash flyer whose needs align with the B6 network should give them a serious look.
The problem for the legacy carriers is that they have changed the value proposition significantly. I'm over 90K BIS miles this year on AA and other 25 on other carriers.

Old value proposition for regular domestic US business traveler making EXP

1. Superior service during problems
2. Regularly upgraded to F on domestic flights
3. EQM based on BIS
4. Decent redemption levels
5. Mileage based RDM
6. 8 EVIP's I can use for vacation
7. EVIP's clear to J

New value proposition for regular domestic US business traveler making EXP who spends 10-20K annually

1. Superior service during problems - same
2. Regularly upgraded to F on domestic flights - same for now
3. EQM based on BIS - same for now
4. Decent redemption levels replaced by much higher redemption levels
5. Mileage based RDM replaced by dollar based RDM with new RDM at around 40 percent of what they used to be
6. 8 EVIP's I can use for vacation replaced by 4
7. EVIP's clear to J in process of going to Y+

I don't know how I monetize this value but the combination of lower earnings and higher redemption levels, significantly decreases the value of loyalty. I realize AA is following the pack but essentially the only significant value of EXP for domestic US business travelers is reliable regular upgrades to F. If those go away ...
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
.....but essentially the only significant value of EXP for domestic US business travelers is reliable regular upgrades to F. If those go away ...

Or for those of us that are not EXP... there's almost no value left.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Platinum, and assorted hotel loyalty schemes.
Admittedly, this is a small sample size, but for the last six weeks I've flown on whichever of the three legacies had the cheapest F fare. My observation is that Delta is the most consistent in terms of on-board service while AA and UA are hit or miss. The boarding corals that UA uses make a world of difference to me as I don't find myself guessing if I'm cutting in line in front of an F passenger or if I'm cutting in front of a zone 4 who is standing in the way. I'm trying to find a redeeming quality of AA in F, but I can't.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Multiple airline comparisons are probably best not placed in a specific airline's forum, so we will move this for broader input.

JDiver, Moderator
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Box10
On the converse, AS can cover AA and DL so one could merely have AS, UA, WN, B6 membership.
For that matter, SQ can cover UA, B6, and VX.

As somebody who flies enough to accrue redeemable miles but not enough for any meaningful elite status, having accounts with AS and SQ covers almost any airline I'd want to fly domestically.

(Elite benefits are another important matter entirely; I'm just trying to extend your line of reasoning here.)
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:56 pm

Based on my experience, DL just about has the edge but it's by no means a huge gap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.