Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Using miles to get 8 business class tickets to paris

Using miles to get 8 business class tickets to paris

Old Jul 1, 16, 11:50 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1
Using miles to get 8 business class tickets to paris

I have over a million miles combined with American, United and Hawaiian. I am planning a family trip to Paris from San Francisco next June and would love to get business class for everyone (8) using miles. How realistic is this? I understand there are companies which charge a fee per ticket if they are successful.
echoy217 is offline  
Old Jul 1, 16, 12:12 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: AGH
Posts: 5,255
Originally Posted by echoy217 View Post
I have over a million miles combined with American, United and Hawaiian. I am planning a family trip to Paris from San Francisco next June and would love to get business class for everyone (8) using miles. How realistic is this?
One one flight? Not a chance. Breaking up the party in smaller groups like 2+3+3 or 2+2+2+2 (which you need to do anyway if you have the miles spread across 3 programs, right?) and allow perhaps one of them to arrive a day early or later then the rest, there is quite a good chance if you are a bit flexible with the routings and dates.

Originally Posted by echoy217 View Post
I understand there are companies which charge a fee per ticket if they are successful.
I think you are looking for an "Award booking service": http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...e-reviews.html

Btw. Welcome to FT!
fassy is offline  
Old Jul 1, 16, 3:44 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: FLL -> Where The Boyars Are
Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Posts: 18,669
Originally Posted by fassy View Post
One one flight? Not a chance. Breaking up the party in smaller groups like 2+3+3 or 2+2+2+2 (which you need to do anyway if you have the miles spread across 3 programs, right?) and allow perhaps one of them to arrive a day early or later then the rest, there is quite a good chance if you are a bit flexible with the routings and dates.
This.

Think creatively. For example, some of the group could take UA or LH to Frankfurt, from where it is a less than 4 hour train ride to Paris.

With the AA miles, BA usually has some availability, but you must pay their profit surcharge. Also look at Iberia via Madrid.
Non-NonRev is offline  
Old Jul 1, 16, 3:50 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 10,624
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev View Post
This.

Think creatively. For example, some of the group could take UA or LH to Frankfurt, from where it is a less than 4 hour train ride to Paris.

With the AA miles, BA usually has some availability, but you must pay their profit surcharge. Also look at Iberia via Madrid.
TN from LAX-CDG is also an option using AA miles. Both TN and IB you have to call as they aren't available on the website.
wrp96 is online now  
Old Jul 1, 16, 5:15 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 7,940
I'm generally as anti-Award Booking Service as they come because I'd rather save the money and do the work myself.

However in this case it might be worth it so you don't have to spend a ton of time figuring out how to put everything together since, as mentioned above, this will require a fair amount of decisions and effort to split it effectively.
Duke787 is offline  
Old Jul 1, 16, 6:25 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,902
5 on one flight is quite easy if you are flexible. BA may even have up to 8 seats in business and if a few in F so that would work. Though likely from NYC so it requires some creativity. One option is to fly to London one two separate BA/AA flights and connect to a combo of economy/business to Paris or take the Eurostar. ALso consider some sectors in economy or PE to make it work.

Last edited by erik123; Jul 1, 16 at 6:36 pm
erik123 is offline  
Old Jul 1, 16, 6:54 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CLT
Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 2,072
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev View Post
Think creatively. For example, some of the group could take UA or LH to Frankfurt, from where it is a less than 4 hour train ride to Paris.
While true, why not just connect on LH to CDG? Most likely that short flight isn't going to be the availability bottleneck (and economy would presumably be acceptable for that segment).

There are rare instances of this many seats being released on one flight, but it's very rare. It's big news when there are even 4 J seats available on the same flight. Yet still, 8+ could happen (would only matter if you have enough miles in one program for 8 one ways in J). For example:
http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2016/04...ummer-8-seats/
http://thepointsguy.com/2015/09/busi...-jals-new-787/
dukerau is offline  
Old Jul 1, 16, 8:39 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: FLL -> Where The Boyars Are
Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Posts: 18,669
Originally Posted by dukerau View Post
While true, why not just connect on LH to CDG? Most likely that fRAshort flight isn't going to be the availability bottleneck (and economy would presumably be acceptable for that segment).
I mentioned the rail alternative in case the FRA-CDG (in conjunction with a TATL flight) was constrained. Always good to have multiple options. ^

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jul 3, 16 at 12:33 pm
Non-NonRev is offline  
Old Jul 3, 16, 10:36 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: BWI
Posts: 1,780
maybe some could go biz and some could go in some form of Econ Plus? Might help if trying to get everyone on same flight.
farbster is offline  
Old Jul 4, 16, 8:30 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 5,049
Not to point out the obvious, but how much "over a million" and how they're divided will matter. using United miles for Star Alliance travel in business will be 140,000 miles each person.
Your Hawaiian miles will not be particularly useful here.
Adam1222 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: