Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The new ESTA rules and older authorizations

Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:20 am
Original Poster

I'm traveling from Iceland to the US in late March and I just saw that there have been changes to the ESTA program where people that have been to certain countries are now required to have a travel visa.

Now, I should mention that I have NOT been to any of the countries mentioned. I do have an ESTA from 2014 which is valid until late June and I've been to the States twice since it got approved. But now the ESTA process has changed and there are new questions and all that so I'm worried that I need to re apply for a new ESTA because of this. Has anyone seen any info about if everyone needs a new ESTA or do current and valid ones still apply? It seems unlikely that they would make thousands of people reapply but you never know I guess.

Thanks for the help
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Your current ESTA will be fine.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

I've flagged for moderators to move to the appropriate forum in t he Travel section of this site
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Your current ESTA will be fine.
I hope so. All the info I've found about this doesn't mention current ESTA applications at all.

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I've flagged for moderators to move to the appropriate forum in t he Travel section of this site
Oh damn. Sorry about that
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I'm not sure if I missed something, but having just completed an ESTA application, I saw nothing about countries visited in the application. Unless it is connected to the dual residency question, which I didn't need to complete.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Richym99
I'm not sure if I missed something, but having just completed an ESTA application, I saw nothing about countries visited in the application. Unless it is connected to the dual residency question, which I didn't need to complete.
Just wondering if I need to be worried that new questions that will follow with the new law will render the current Esta's invalid or anything in that vain. Stupid I know, but you never know what people will think of doing.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If you haven't visited any of the "problem" countries you'll be fine.

If you are affected by the new rule and have an existing ESTA authorisation at some stage US CBP will notify you (by email?) that the authorisation has been revoked and advise what you need to do (including special cases with imminent travel to USA).

At some stage the new rule will come into effect and at that point new ESTA applications will incorporate this.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

If you are affected by the new rule and have an existing ESTA authorisation at some stage US CBP will notify you (by email?) that the authorisation has been revoked and advise what you need to do (including special cases with imminent travel to USA).

At some stage the new rule will come into effect and at that point new ESTA applications will incorporate this.
How will US CBP know for sure if the ESTA holder has visited one of the "problem" countries to revoke his existing ESTA authorization?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

Still valid here.
Surely this will then be a two year process, until the newest applications expire.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:04 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
How will US CBP know for sure if the ESTA holder has visited one of the "problem" countries to revoke his existing ESTA authorization?
Depends on what data they have. For example visiting USA on a RTW ticket that includes one of the "problem" countries may mean they have this info from PNR data.

Originally Posted by akb8812
Still valid here.
Surely this will then be a two year process, until the newest applications expire.
Yes for new ESTAs, however USA has said some ESTAs will be revoked (i.e. cancelled). Revoked ESTAs will only occur for some?/all? of those that have visited the "problem" countries - if you haven't visited then won't be revoked.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:14 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
From the US CBP website:

4. What are the specific changes to the VWP?

Under the Act, travelers in the following categories are no longer eligible to travel or be admitted to the United States under the VWP:
  • Nationals of VWP countries who have traveled to or been present in Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited exceptions).
  • Nationals of VWP countries who are also nationals of Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria.

These restrictions do not apply to VWP travelers whose presence in Iraq, Syria, Iran, or Sudan was to perform military service in the armed forces of a program country, or in order to carry out official duties as a full-time employee of the government of a program country. These military and official government services exceptions, however, do not apply to the dual national restriction.

Travelers who are known to fall into the dual national category noted above will receive notice via email on or about January 21, 2016 that their current ESTA is no longer valid.

The Act also requires that all VWP travelers use an electronic passport for travel to the United States by April 1, 2016. Finally, the Act includes other changes to the VWP to promote enhanced information sharing of terrorism and criminal data, and use of INTERPOL databases and notices for border screening purposes.

The vast majority of VWP eligible travelers will not be affected by the legislation.

5. When will travelers who have traveled to or been present in Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria be notified?

CBP is working on implementing that as soon as possible, and will notify those affected directly.

6. How will CBP inform travelers their ESTAs were revoked? What email/contact information will CBP use?

Travelers who have their ESTAs revoked will be contacted via the email address they provided as part of the ESTA application. Any traveler who receives notification that they are no longer eligible to participate in the VWP may still travel to the United States with a valid nonimmigrant visa issued by a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The new law does not ban travel or admission to the United States with a valid visa.

7. Is CBP revoking all valid ESTAs?

No, CBP will only revoke ESTAs for a relatively small number of individuals who are known to no longer be eligible for travel under the VWP due to the new restrictions. Restrictions for travel under the VWP will still apply to those with travel to Iran, Iraq, Syria and Sudan on or after March 1, 2011.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...am-update-2016
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The last question and answer seems to confirm that they're not revoking my ESTA. I'm surprised that neither Icelandair or the US embassy here have that link on their site.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

I've found the answer.

http://www.cbp.gov/faqs/will-everyon...d-update-their

Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:21 am
Original Poster

This thing right there that I posted is a confirmation that I don't need to worry right?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This thing right there that I posted is a confirmation that I don't need to worry right?
If you apply for a new ESTA, you have a real small chance of having your application rejected and having your issued ESTA cancelled; at least assuming you answer the questions honestly and consistently, as legally required. But since you've not gone to any of the "troubled" countries and aren't in a position of having to apply for a new ESTA, there is no requirement to apply for a new ESTA (unless you have something related to share that is beyond that already provided by you in this thread, for example using a new passport).

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 30, 2019 at 8:25 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.