Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Nonfrequent Flyer with service animal, upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nonfrequent Flyer with service animal, upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Question Nonfrequent Flyer with service animal, upgrade?

I only fly every 2-3 years. I will be traveling on Friday via American Airlines for a small trip with a service dog that's about 34 pounds. The flight is on a 319 airbus that has main cabin extra and first class. Not having any traveler status, is there any way to score an upgrade to first class?

If I were to purchase an upgrade, from an economy ticket, any idea what that might cost? According to the website, there are 6 of the 12 first class seats still available.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The likelihood of getting an upgrade is very slim. American's elite will all be eligible for an upgrade before you.

In the unlikely event that there are less elites than open first class seats, an upgrade might be available at check in for a fee, pricing though would depend in the route.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Yes, upgrades on Fridays are tough, especially midday and later. Also, be aware that if you're traveling with a service dog, you're ineligible to sit in any MCE row that's also designated as an exit row.

You may find more info in the American Airlines forum here, or the Disability Travel forum.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...advantage-733/
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel-224/

Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

You have received some sound advice above.

Also be aware the seat chart doesn't reflect unsold or available seats, it reflects unassigned seats.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

I am not looking forward to the flight. But haven't seen my mom in over a year and am unable to drive that far. Thanks so much for all the info!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Instead of thinking about or worrying about the flight, focus on the fact that you are going to get to see your mom. The flight is but a few hours of your time.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
How short is the flight? I would not worry about this too much. If you want to be assured of sitting in first class, you should pay for it, as the saying goes. On the bright side, you'll get to your destination just as quickly as the people at the front. And that's surely what matters most.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
An upgrade to first class will cost the difference between the economy fare and the first class fare. The one exception, as mentioned in post #2 above, is if first-class seats remain unsold at check-in time. They may then be offered at the gate for substantially less, but you can't count on this.

That said, I see small service dogs in economy from time to time. You may be able to convince an agent to seat you in a bulkhead row so he/she will have more room.

Enjoy your visit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.