Search

Where to bank Emirates miles?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Advantage
Where to bank Emirates miles?

Hi,

I am flying from the US to Asia on Emirates next week, and was wondering where to bank my miles. I don't expect to travel on Emirates frequently at all, so am thinking Skywards isn't the right option.

I am Platinum on American, and live at an AA hub city. I was thinking of banking the Emirates miles on Alaska Airlines - in the hope that I could possibly use them for AA flights.

Any other option that might be better?
Here's the list of Emirates Skywards partners ... none really seem to offer good redemption opportunities for someone traveling primarily US domestic from an AA hub.
http://www.emirates.com/us/english/s...spx?#/airlines

- 123champ
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:24 am

Do you think you'll ever fly EasyJet (budget european carrier)? A few thousand emirates miles will get you a free easyjet flight, which basically is a saving of like $50-$100.

That's the only other use for a few emirates miles that is halfway decent.

Otherwise yeah, bank in alaska airlines.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AS miles are good for a number of partners that are more interesting than AA. In fact, it could make sense for you to credit "excess" (after you requalify for status each year) AA miles to AS to give access to award tickets on carriers that aren't partners of AA.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AS miles are good for a number of partners that are more interesting than AA. In fact, it could make sense for you to credit "excess" (after you requalify for status each year) AA miles to AS to give access to award tickets on carriers that aren't partners of AA.
But doesn't AS have a restriction against using multiple partners on the same award ticket? So if you can't fly Emirates all the way (one way), or you can' fly Alaska + Emirates all the way (one way), is it still possible to use Alaska miles for the trip?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

123champ Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by 123champ
I am flying from the US to Asia on Emirates next week, and was wondering where to bank my miles. I don't expect to travel on Emirates frequently at all, so am thinking Skywards isn't the right option.

I am Platinum on American, and live at an AA hub city. I was thinking of banking the Emirates miles on Alaska Airlines - in the hope that I could possibly use them for AA flights.

Any other option that might be better?
Here's the list of Emirates Skywards partners ... none really seem to offer good redemption opportunities for someone traveling primarily US domestic from an AA hub.
http://www.emirates.com/us/english/s...spx?#/airlines
Most ffp's have reciprocal earning / burning. For some one living in USA AS will be as good as it gets. As noted above AS award routes are restricted.
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx

Be careful with expiry with any ffp. EK has a 3 year hard expiry: use them or lose them.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But doesn't AS have a restriction against using multiple partners on the same award ticket? So if you can't fly Emirates all the way (one way), or you can' fly Alaska + Emirates all the way (one way), is it still possible to use Alaska miles for the trip?
Yep, and that's the main drawback for me. However, if you can reasonably get to a city AS or its partner of interest to you serves, AS miles can still be valuable. My main use for AS would probably be Emirates, and I can get to ORD or JFK for 4.5k Avios, so I'll still take AS miles though I'm not actively acquiring them.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:22 pm

Also keep in mind for next time that Etihad is an AA partner and will let you earn miles. Even if you are only going to Dubai they will bus you if are in Y or hire private car if in J or F to Dubai from AUH for free.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Advantage
Thanks!

Thank you all for the insightful replies. I guess it is going to be AS!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.