Wiki Posts
Search

Turkey as Middle East in any FFP?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Asiana, TAP, United, British, TAM
Turkey as Middle East in any FFP?

I am trying to optimize the use of miles of different program by finding overlapping Middle East / Asia with Europe.
Middle East often stretches to Egypt and Israel.
Turkey seems like the most likely other candidate. Maybe Northern Africa too.

Thank in advance!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:32 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I don't think so, but there are many programs that offer distance based awards rather than zone based.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:02 pm

Your question is not clear. What do you mean?

And TK is not a middle eastern airline. It is an European airline.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Your question is not clear. What do you mean?...
I'm fairly sure it's this:

Frequent flyer programs have different mileage requirements among different parts of the world. Sometimes it may be better to fly to a country considered part of Europe. Other times, it may be better to fly to a country considered part of the Middle East.

Most airlines seem to consider Turkey to be in Europe. Are there any that put it into their Middle East region (as defined by that airline's program, which may not match generally recognized geographic regions)? ]

Editorial comment: I can see advantages in flying to "Europe" from another part of Europe, then flying from "the Middle East" to Asia. That would work if one country can be in both, depending on the airline ...

(I don't know of any, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.)
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:04 pm

Most (all?) airlines follow IATA geography. Turkey is part of Europe by that scheme. The following site provides a good map:

https://thetourismschool.wordpress.c...ata-geography/
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:07 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Most (all?) airlines follow IATA geography. Turkey is part of Europe by that scheme. The following site provides a good map:

https://thetourismschool.wordpress.c...ata-geography/
It's not all, some *A carriers differ with a few countries around Europe/ME/Asia but all I think count Turkey in Europe.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
There was one a few years ago that had Israel in Europe. They may still. If I remembered which it was, I'd check. (Doesn't help with the OP's Turkey question, but supports nux's point that generally recognized geographic regions don't always control frequent flyer program award schemes.)
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:51 am

SAS considers Israel to be Europe: http://www.sas.se/eurobonus/point-ch...points-charts/ but also Turkey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.