Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta vs. American vs. United

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Beyfan16
American: Getting lots of new planes but bad service. Merger may not be working well.
Yes re new planes. Not from my experience re service. No one has said anything about the merger not working well. It's as smooth as Delta's if not smoother.

Delta: Good service, slightly expensive.
In general, yes.

United: okay service, newish planes.
United's service will vary just like everyone else's although, based on FlyerTalk reports, I'd say that people report more disgruntled United employees than on other airlines. (See United Airlines Flight Attendants File for Federal Mediation to Resolve Post-Merger Contract Issues for the main reason why.) It's not particularly known for a newish fleet but has new 787s and has been more proactive in buying new planes than Delta (which buys old planes such as 717s).
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A similar thread by a ffp newbie here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...e-program.html
Need to keep ffp expectations realistic
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Good points.

It also could depend on where you're based and where you're flying to.
Do not underestimate home location in terms of ability to actually redeem miles in a reasonable way. I live in a bizarro location where United miles are effectively useless, and the dread Delta Sky Peso is actually a little easier to use from my four closest airports than American miles are.

Rules for award inventory are always subject to change and rarely change for the better but it's not a bad idea to take a snapshot now- price out how many miles it would take for a few choice aspirational destinations during times of year when you can travel there, a few common routes you're interested in using miles on, and one or two scenarios of 'Granny just died, and if I don't use miles, it's a $900 last minute ticket to Wichita' sorts of things. Since you're in Florida, it's also not a bad idea to run a few searches for trying to redeem miles during spring break season when you're swimming upstream against the people from Up North flying down here for their big spring break vacations.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:58 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
I've kind of eliminated United from the list, which was my previous top choice.

I am leaning towards Delta now. The only problem is routing. I live in Tampa. There are almost no direct Delta flights to the destinations I am interested in visiting soon that do not involve a stop in ATL. For example, I usually fly into BWI when visiting up there, but neither Delta or American have direct flights there. Delta has a stop in ATL and American barely flies there at all.

Also, which has a more updated fleet? I know AA is going through the whole fleet revival, but from what I can tell on my routes, I'm going to be stuck on lots of MD 80s and 757s with no personal TVs. I know most of the DL 757s came from Song and have TVs.

Finally, why is Delta so much more expensive in some markets? AA flying up to CLT then to SJU is half the price of Delta flying to ATL then SJU.

For the FF programs, the easy earning of AA is attractive while the no expiration of DLs points seems nice.

Basically,

Elimination of UA is a good choice. They have the worst operations and their frequent flier program is NOT good for an infrequent flyer on cheaper tickets.

Delta is going to have the nicest planes and crews but the frequent flyer program is weaker with more miles needed to get places and less miles awarded.

American will have MANY options but, like Delta they will require a connection. To BWI and the Washington area you will likely need to connect in one of the following CLT, PHL, MIA, or LGA. If you are willing to fly into DCA they will have some nonstop flights from TPA. They are in a merger which is going MUCH better then the UA merger ever did but, AA flight crews are inconsistent compared to US flight crews. AA aircraft (new ones) are nice but the old US fleet lacks IFE and power ports are NOT expected fleet wide until 2016. I hope this is helpful. Overall I would think AA is the best fit for someone in your situation. If you flew a lot of First/business class then it would be Delta.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
And Medallion is the frequent flyer program right? If so its awesome how you can grab the bulkhead and emergency exit row seats for no extra charge, and get economy comfort/Delta+ upgrade on the same day if there is room.
IIRC, the benefits you cite above are only for Elite (Silver specifically on the same day DL+ upgrade) members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.