Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toronto to London

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Toronto to London

We are going on a British Isles cruise in June 2016 from Southhampton. We live in the Detroit area and need to fly into London. The flights for our dates aren't available on Delta yet but we expect they will run $1,600-$1,800 each. We can fly out of Toronto on either Air Canada or British Airways for about $900-$950 each. For 3 people, that is a lot of savings for only a 5 hour drive from Detroit to Toronto.

I have no experience with these airlines so any feedback you can provide is appreciated.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flannbarr
We are going on a British Isles cruise in June 2016 from Southhampton. We live in the Detroit area and need to fly into London. The flights for our dates aren't available on Delta yet but we expect they will run $1,600-$1,800 each. We can fly out of Toronto on either Air Canada or British Airways for about $900-$950 each. For 3 people, that is a lot of savings for only a 5 hour drive from Detroit to Toronto.

I have no experience with these airlines so any feedback you can provide is appreciated.
You also have Virgin Atlantic now.

I would not be in a hurry at these prices, but if you feel you must book transatlantic now, search from NY for a very low price and then book the flight from your area to NY.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:53 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Booking 11 months in advance usually will not give you the best price, but if you think the price is good then consider booking and not looking at the prices again.

What sort of feedback are you looking for?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
As this topic is not specifically related to M&M integrated airlines, I'll move this thread to Information Desk.

Kind regards

totti
Moderator M&M forum
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:57 am
Original Poster

I am looking for experience flying on AC or BA. Some airlines are ones to avoid.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
All three are much of a muchness in the back.

Putting all factors together, I would suggest AC out of YYZ over BA. Your outbound flight is the more important: you have to make it to your cruise. And since YYZ is AC's hub it is easier for them to manage if an aircraft goes mechanical, or there's a late inbound arrival. They also have a lot of capacity out of Montreal and Ottawa to which they can switch passengers, and they have the lift to get them there. BA have much less flexibility operating from an outstation.

I suggest that you also look at AC pricing out of Windsor--it might involve only a small increase from the Toronto fare, and involve considerably less driving.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I've done this route probably 100+ times, although not so much in economy recently, which is what I believe you are asking about. There really is not much difference in the economy product between the two airlines and, while both have newer aircraft occasionally operating the route, it's pretty much impossible to predict what equipment they'll be using almost one year from today. In terms of seat width/legroom, etc there's not much in it. Both are perfectly fine, and it's a reasonably short flight (ca barely seven hours in the air).

I'll leave you with one thought...when flying in economy, I've often chose the AC 'Daytripper', AC868, which leaves Toronto at ca 900am and arrives into London at 900pm. Yes, you lose a day, but you have a daytime flight, where you can read and relax, rather than a short night flight where you won't get much sleep and after which you'll feel like a zombie for the next day. The disadvantage is you'll have to stay overnight in an airport hotel in Toronto, but if you book that now it shouldn't run you more than $100 or so. You'll get straight into your London hotel room, where you can order room service and adjust to the time zone much better. I don't do transatlantic overnights in economy anymore.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

For travel in Economy Class, I would not expect too much difference among AC, BA, and DL for a TATL flight. (Caveat: if flying AC, I would only take the "regular" AC service into LHR; avoid the "Air Canada Rouge" service into LGW.)

I would probably wait at least a little while before booking, as sale fares might come up from DTW or nearby airports. But there is always a risk that the current fare out of YYZ will disappear, and nothing lower will show up.

You can use Google Flights to price the trip with an origination city within XXX miles of Detroit; unless you are only willing to fly a nonstop, you might be able to get good fares departing from a city that is closer to Detroit than Toronto is. (Did you price the trip from YQG?)

If you do end up departing from a US city like TOL or CLE on AA connecting to BA, keep an eye on the BA/AARP discount to see if it gets extended to flights departing next summer.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by flannbarr

what about driving the other way toward Chicago? Or are the ticket prices between Chicago and London higher?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
All airlines get it wrong, all airlines get it right (sometimes). What is important as a passenger to you? I will be sneaky and note westjet fly toronto-halifax-glasgow and from there you can flybe to Southampton....but that is very risky unless you want to travel a couple of days earlier and connection times probably suck! Ac i think fly to gla (and edi for a flybe flight to southampton?), again dont risk connections. I will probably now be barred from the ba board for suggesting this.

Last edited by jcm9000; Aug 2, 2015 at 2:21 pm
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by jcm9000
All airlines get it wrong, all airlines get it right (sometimes). What is important as a passenger to you? I will be sneaky and note westjet fly toronto-halifax-glasgow and from there you can flybe to Southampton....but that is very risky unless you want to travel a couple of days earlier and connection times probably suck! Ac i think fly to gla (and edi for a flybe flight to southampton?), again dont risk connections. I will probably now be barred from the ba board for suggesting this.
anyone flying to catch a cruise should ALWAYS get to the embarkation city a couple of days early... one delayed flight or missed connection can ruin a cruise vacation.(traffic, weather, mechanical, strike, whatever)
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jcm9000
Have we maybe had a few drinkies tonight? Flying from getting from Toronto to Southampton via Glasgow is slightly daft!
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
I think flying AC and BA are much better than DL. DL is the better one of the Americans and isn't bad. I say 800 is a good deal for a year ahead and would book it. Usually flying to Europe from yyz is cheaper than US cities in summer with sometimes the exception being NYC. If it is price you are after look at Air Transat. They are usually cheaper and reliable. I fly 3 times a year from yyz to Europe and always check nearby cities like dtw and it seems yyz is cheaper. As someone said earlier, try Windsor and even kitchener.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
As another poster mentioned I would choose AC as Toronto is a hub. In Y I would try to avoid rouge, the 787 or the new 777 configuration as the seating is pretty tight. Another poster mentioned Windsor. This is good advice and you might also look at London Ontario as well.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite

I'll leave you with one thought...when flying in economy, I've often chose the AC 'Daytripper', AC868, which leaves Toronto at ca 900am and arrives into London at 900pm. Yes, you lose a day, but you have a daytime flight, where you can read and relax, rather than a short night flight where you won't get much sleep and after which you'll feel like a zombie for the next day. The disadvantage is you'll have to stay overnight in an airport hotel in Toronto, but if you book that now it shouldn't run you more than $100 or so. You'll get straight into your London hotel room, where you can order room service and adjust to the time zone much better. I don't do transatlantic overnights in economy anymore.

I definately agree on using morning departures to Europe for all the same reasons! I used to love the 8:00AM BA out of JFK back in the early 1990s.....got you to Heathrow about 7PM local...no Asian or African flights to contend with in the immigration hall so quick exit and hotel in the city by 8-8:30, quick cocktail,hot shower,dinner, rock solid sleep and no jet-lag! Awesome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.