Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Use Miles or Pay Cash and Write off?? TAX fans??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 10:37 am
Original Poster

I am a writer, so can tax-deduct travel if I can associate it with a story.

But tax deduction is just a 25% discount really, right? Even if coming off my LLC

Should I use miles if I have them?
Old May 27, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Depends which country you pay your taxes in.

I tend to reserve my miles/points for personal travel/expenses instead of using them for a work related expense. I am a freelance consultant and when given a flat-rate stipend that covers travel, lodging and other operating expenses I have used miles when the cost of the airfare was high. For my own records and IRS auditing purposes I do create trip packs of itinerary and expenses related.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Depends which country you pay your taxes in.

I tend to reserve my miles/points for personal travel/expenses instead of using them for a work related expense. I am a freelance consultant and when given a flat-rate stipend that covers travel, lodging and other operating expenses I have used miles when the cost of the airfare was high. For my own records and IRS auditing purposes I do create trip packs of itinerary and expenses related.
It depends also on your level of taxable income. In some cases, it depends on your state and local income tax codes too.
Old May 27, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CutePanda
I am a writer, so can tax-deduct travel if I can associate it with a story.

But tax deduction is just a 25% discount really, right? Even if coming off my LLC

Should I use miles if I have them?
Your conclusion about tax deductions is a bit of an oversimplification. If you write a story about 1 day of your 15 day trip, you don't get to write it all off. If you go somewhere for a social visit and then write an article on the way back, you don't get to write it all off.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:42 pm

25% tax deduction if you're in that bracket.
State income tax
If LLC not taxed as S-Corp, Self Employment tax (6.2% for SS + 1.45% for Medicare)x2 = 15.3%

Poss deduction = 40%+ of income?

But I agree with Adam1222, just because you write a story, doesn't mean you can write off the whole fare. The IRS could request an explanation of the business purpose of the trip.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Closed pending review by moderators.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.