Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Domestic to International Connection at Philadelphia.. HELP!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 5:02 am
Original Poster

I'm a first time flyer and I didn't think that this would be an issue when I bought my plane ticket, but I'm beginning to worry..
I'm flying from Burlington VT to Cancun, Mexico with a 1.5 hr layover/plane change in Philadelphia. I don't expect the first part of the flight to be an issue and I have someone meeting me in Mexico, but I'm worried about timing with the plane change. I've never flown before and I'm clueless really about the process. Will I have enough time to make the change? I will only have a carry on so I suppose that will be in my favor but I'm starting to really worry about this. The flight from burlington arrives at 10:30am and the flight for cancun departs at 11:55am.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

Assuming that your first flight arrives on time (or close to it), you will have no problem. US would not have sold you such a connection unless it satisfied the MCT (minimum connection time) for domestic to international flights at PHL.

Even if you had checked baggage, the answer would be the same: your bags would be checked through to CUN at BTV; you would not have to claim them at PHL.

Don't forget your passport!
Old May 4, 2015, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
PHL is a large airport, but 1.5 hours is general-speaking more than enough time to make it between the two furthest gates in the airport.

We can provide you with much more detail if you tell us the carriers on which you are flying. Without that, we're just giving you general information.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I am assuming the Burlington -> PHL is USAir coming into terminal F. In that case, be sure to take the transfer bus from F so that you do not have to go back thru security.

Per earlier commenter, with more details we can be more specific.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Welcome to FT!

As others have noted, you should have plenty time in Philadelphia, but if for any reason you miss your connection the airline will make other arrangements to fly you to Cancun at no extra charge.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Welcome to flyertalk (and flying). Assuming your flight is on time it should be simple. If you're flying the same airline from Burlington to PHL as from PHL to Cancun you'll likely get both boarding passes in Burlington. When you get off the plane in PHL, look at the screens in the terminal that show "Departures" which will be organized by destination alphabetically. They'll tell you what gate your next flight leaves from. Lots of signs in the terminals to point you to the gates by letter, number etc. Make sure to be at the gate around 30 minutes before departure time. It can take up to 15 minutes to walk between gates depending on how far they are from each other.

Enjoy!
Old May 4, 2015, 9:55 am
Original Poster

More info..

Originally Posted by Often1
PHL is a large airport, but 1.5 hours is general-speaking more than enough time to make it between the two furthest gates in the airport.

We can provide you with much more detail if you tell us the carriers on which you are flying. Without that, we're just giving you general information.
I'll be flying with US airways! This isn't until this end of this month, so I do not have terminal details. Just trying to think ahead though, because I've been reading horror stories about people missing international flights. I thought that with a carry on, you always just keep it with you?

Thanks everyone for giving me info, I really appreciate it!
Old May 4, 2015, 10:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you're flying US Airways in and out, it will be easy.

See the Terminal F map here.

If you depart elsewhere, there's an airside shuttle bus and can travel efficiently between terminals without having to clear security again:

Terminal Shuttle Link

US Airways operates a free shuttle service for passengers connecting secure-side between Terminals A-East/A-West and Terminal F and Terminals B/C and Terminal F.

The shuttle stop in the Terminal F hub located at Gate F-14 provides service to Gate C-16 for connections to Terminals C and B and Gate A-1 for connections to Terminals A-East and A-West.

Note: Shuttles run only to either Gate C-16 or Gate A-1 from Terminal F and to Terminal F only from Gate C-16 or Gate A-1.
See the map for PHL here; the shuttle shows as a blue line.

Note that on the return, you will have to process immigration formalities, pass through the baggage recovery carousels (if you had bags, you'd recover them here and re-check them after customs), pass through customs, then pass through TSA security to get back airside for your departure. This will take significantly longer than your connection outbound to Cancún.

¡Feliz viaje!
Old May 4, 2015, 11:21 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by 1stflight
I'll be flying with US airways! This isn't until this end of this month, so I do not have terminal details. Just trying to think ahead though, because I've been reading horror stories about people missing international flights. I thought that with a carry on, you always just keep it with you?

Thanks everyone for giving me info, I really appreciate it!
There will be horror stories, but it's what they call a legal connection, so if the airline screws up or get's delayed for some reason, they'll re-book you, I wouldn't worry to much as you should be fine.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:30 pm

Welcome to FT! Another thing that I like to do is to go to the airport websites & see where things are located. You can contact the airlines & find out where/what gates the flights usually arrive and depart from, use the airport websites for getting an idea of how far away your gates are, if you can walk it or will need to take a shuttle, etc.

Good luck!
Old May 4, 2015, 2:27 pm

Backing up the other posts - you'll have plenty of time. And be sure to look at the airport's website for a map. If you can, download the map to a smart phone or other device. Also don't be afraid to ask for directions in the airport. I've found that the cleaning staff is usually very helpful and they know where things are. If you have a problem figuring out the departure board, ask someone and be sure to tell them you're a first-time flyer. Most folks are very friendly and willing to help.

Have a fantastic trip!
Old May 4, 2015, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
If you're flying US Airways in and out, it will be easy.

See the Terminal F map here.

If you depart elsewhere, there's an airside shuttle bus and can travel efficiently between terminals without having to clear security again:

See the map for PHL here; the shuttle shows as a blue line.

Note that on the return, you will have to process immigration formalities, pass through the baggage recovery carousels (if you had bags, you'd recover them here and re-check them after customs), pass through customs, then pass through TSA security to get back airside for your departure. This will take significantly longer than your connection outbound to Cancún.

¡Feliz viaje!

Thank you for the helpful links, and thanks everyone, I'm feeling much better about this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.