Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it safe?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Is it safe?

I am 18 years old and want to make a trip camping and kayaking alone in Norway in June, July and August. Is it safe? (I will always carry Pepper spray)
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:21 am

I would advise against pepper spray since it is illegal for civilians to possess it in Norway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray#Europe
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

FT has a Nordic countries sub-forum within the "Europe" destination forum.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
And, strangely enough, there's even another possibly relevant subforum to look at here at FT, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/budget-travel-597/, which includes "camping" in its forum description.

Not everybody travels in the front of the plane, not everybody stays in an upgraded suite. FT seems to have a little niche for everyone who would like to travel, no matter the mode or cost. . .
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:32 pm

Why would one carry pepper spray whilst camping? I've camped and backpacked all over the world, much of the time in bear country, but I've never once considered pepper spray.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 9:50 am

Solo camping is never safe, regardless of your age.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:58 pm

I don't care how old the OP is. I will therefore assume he's 18.

That said, in Canada, pepper spray is illegal. Bear spray is not. One is designed to fight off an attack by a person, the other to provide a last ditch defense against a bear. In my experience, in dozens of trips in the back country in the Canadian deserts, mountains and hills, often alone, I have never needed to use bear spray.

I encounter bears on a regular basis. Sometimes they are passive, sometimes not. Because I don't regularly tote a 12ga (except perhaps during duck season which generally does not bring me into bear country) so I have no real protection, save a canister of bear spray which I rarely carry anymore.

If you feel bear spray would help you, and you are actually 18 and can legally buy it, it is worth carrying. Even if only for peace of mind.

If you think you're going to fight off a bear who is minding their own business, you are acquiring pepper spray for the wrong reasons. You will do much better by keeping your eating, cooking and sleeping areas separate, and by avoiding high risk areas. The wardens/rangers at your chosen destination are the best people to ask.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is the OP male or female? Camping alone would seem riskier for a young female, but really isn't safe for either gender. The same for kayaking alone.

Why not plan to stay in youth hostels?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:26 pm

Here is what I would do if money were not an issue.

Find some kind of hotel or hostel where you can leave your stuff, go kayaking for the day for about 12 hours, come back to the hotel, sleep, shower, eat something nourishing and go hiking or kayaking from there. Once you're tired of that area, you get on a bus to another part of the country. I don't know what you'd do with your kayak, but I don't know I'd want to haul it everywhere. Maybe you could rent one in town once in a while. Many of the mountain areas near my home have places you can rent one, and return it a couple hours later.

I hike a lot. I suggest you maybe plan on three weeks of day trips from a place you can call home base. Or at least several home bases.

If you're camping to get away from regular life, three months is a long time, especially alone. Lots of people in this area will get a room at a hotel at say, Lake Louise, and go on hikes from there. A three month trip would be an adventure, but you're only 18 and you need to start slowly. Maybe a weeklong trip with friends would be a good way to start.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Pepper spray is ILLEGAL in Norway,there are NO RISKS whatsoever involved in camping in Norway,none whatsoever.Lots of people do it,the only risk would be that in Norway,in many places the weather is liable to change,-listen to the weather forecast and read the "fjellvettregler",and your be fine,however,you can stay in Turistforeningshytter for very litle money,which is more comfortable.For this you need to be a member and get a universal key to the huts in Oslo,this key works for hundreds of huts all ower Norway,-its based on trust,you leave money for your stay,there is even a limit amount of food awailable in the unmanned huts,again its on trust.

Please,there is NO NEED to come to Norway carying illegal arms.

Frankly,I think that the carying of illegal arms would be rather counterproductive to the kind of relaxation that can be gained from hiking/camping activities,but,thats just me!!

And,there are no big predatdor animals in Norway,you might se an elk(their very peacefull),but thats abouth it,mostly what you see are sheep,actually!!

BTW,-I thourougly fail to see how the advice offerd for Canada is in any conceivable way relewant for Norway,the fauna does not resemble Canada in the slightest,-rather bizare,actually!!

Last edited by geirfugl; Apr 2, 2015 at 2:03 pm
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk...

This thread is now closed as it is off-topic for this forum. As has been suggested by other members, please see FT's dedicated Nordic Countries destination forums (follow the Destinations link in the page header). There may be good advice already discussed there, and it's the best place to post any additional and more detailed queries.

Good luck, and safe travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.