Wiki Posts
Search

Which is the least bad option? Economy MEL-NYC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Which is the least bad option? Economy MEL-NYC

Hello,

Any thoughts on which flights I should take from MEL to NYC?

Choice 1: MEL-LAX-JFK on AA. The itinerary works well for me, but -- if I'm understanding the expertflyer reviews correctly-- the second leg (AA172 on Airbus A321) looks pretty gruesome. AA has blocked all but 3 middle seats and there are serious complaints about the seats being cramped.

Choice 2: A similar set of flights on QF would be better, but I can only book the Saver fare, which I understand is an S fare, which won't earn me AA miles.

Choice 3: Cathay Pacific. Good comfort in economy, but 30 hours when you include the 3 hour stopover in HKG.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you trying to get AA miles?
On QF S class gets 50% AA miles http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/qantas.jsp But can he hard to find out the fare class before you book. E class earns nil
MEL-LAX will always be on QF. AA codeshare
Some low prices CX fares earn nil miles

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to Australia (most from LAX) are
- United [Star Alliance]
- Qantas [OneWorld Alliance] (AS partner)
- Delta [Skyteam Alliance] (VA & AS partner)
- Virgin Australia (DL partner)
- Hawaiian, via Hawaii (AA DL & VA partner)
- Air NZ, via AKL [Star Alliance]
- Fiji Airways, via Fiji (AA & AS partner)
- Air Tahiti Nui (last segments on codeshares) (AA & DL partner)
- Air Canada [Star Alliance]
And others via Asia & Middle East
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:45 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Do you have oneworld status?

Out of your first two options, the first leg is the same on QF for MEL-LAX.
The AA A321T has slightly wider seats and newer IFE but likely to be full, whereas the QF LAX-JFK 744 may not be. If you can book MCE on AA then that would be the most comfortable.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other thread by overhear a few days ago http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...l-segment.html
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:28 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The other thread by overhear a few days ago http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...l-segment.html
And much the same question from last year: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...s-comfort.html
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Sorry -- Is it bad that I always have the same questions?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Well, this is awkward. If my questions are inappropriate or violate a minimum standard of knowledgeability, I'd appreciate your letting me know. As you can see, I don't fly much and when I do, though I fly in economy, I still try to get optimal value for money.

And thank you very much for the insights you provided. They were very helpful. I've gone ahead and booked the AA flights with MCE seats.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:42 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by overhear
Sorry -- Is it bad that I always have the same questions?
The relevant FT rule would be about cross posting, although I think your thread from a few days ago was different enough to warrant a new thread for your current set of questions.

And thank you very much for the insights you provided. They were very helpful. I've gone ahead and booked the AA flights with MCE seats.
Personally I think that is the best option, other than paying more for premium economy or business. ^
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hello,

Any thoughts on which flights I should take from MEL to NYC?

Choice 1: MEL-LAX-JFK on AA. The itinerary works well for me, but -- if I'm understanding the expertflyer reviews correctly-- the second leg (AA172 on Airbus A321) looks pretty gruesome. AA has blocked all but 3 middle seats and there are serious complaints about the seats being cramped.

Choice 2: A similar set of flights on QF would be better, but I can only book the Saver fare, which I understand is an S fare, which won't earn me AA miles.

Choice 3: Cathay Pacific. Good comfort in economy, but 30 hours when you include the 3 hour stopover in HKG.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Are you trying to fly oneworld?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:26 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
If you can fly virgin Australia it's a very cool product and i would highly suggest
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
The relevant FT rule would be about cross posting, although I think your thread from a few days ago was different enough to warrant a new thread for your current set of questions.
^
nux, thanks for clarifying. I might ask stupid questions -- and yes, there are some stupid questions -- but I don't tend to repeat them.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
JFK-LAX-SYD or MEL on QF? Economy on any airline is gruesome, albeit it seems surviveable given the numbers who do it, at least might be fairly direct. It's true the lowest fares earn 25% and 50% of miles flown, unfortunately, and like many airlines charges for more comfortable seats (exit rows).
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
JFK-LAX-SYD or MEL on QF? Economy on any airline is gruesome, albeit it seems surviveable given the numbers who do it, at least might be fairly direct.
Direct may not the best for all if it's really gruesome. If you do the UA Pacific hopscotch via California and Hawaii and Guam (which UA inherited from CO), none of your individual flights are that much longer than a US transcon. So periodically you get to walk around, stretch, etc. Some people may consider that better than being stuck in a teeny weeny seat for a way longer single "direct" flight.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:09 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
You can get 100% miles on virgin Australia assuming delta keeps the current earning rate
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
JFK-LAX-SYD or MEL on QF? Economy on any airline is gruesome, albeit it seems surviveable given the numbers who do it, at least might be fairly direct. It's true the lowest fares earn 25% and 50% of miles flown, unfortunately, and like many airlines charges for more comfortable seats (exit rows).
QF A380 in Y has been one of my favorites...the first time doing so I was very pleasantly surprised and was glad I hadn't gone with a premium cabin ticket.

UA's 747 in Y on the route, on the other hand...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.