FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Advice on Hotel Programs/Credit Cards for Italy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1629630-advice-hotel-programs-credit-cards-italy.html)

apagan4182 Nov 18, 2014 8:08 am

Advice on Hotel Programs/Credit Cards for Italy

We are planning a trip to Italy in 2015 and I'm looking at suggestions on which hotel programs or credit cards I should look at to earn free nights in Italy.

We are traveling to Rome, Naples, Venice and Florence. I currently have point balances with Hyatt (which doesn't help since we are not going to Milan), SPG credit card (only 32,000 points) and IHG.

Choice Hotels looks like an option in Italy, but just wanted to get everyone's thoughts and suggestions?

farbster Nov 18, 2014 9:34 am

SPG is a great option. We did a trip staying at Westins in Rome and Florence and the Danieli in Venice. Cash and points would help you stretch your points with SPG.

Also, look at a card like Barclay Arrival as that give you points that can be redeemed against travel.

Hilton also has a Waldorf in Rome and there are plenty of cards for that I'm sure.

have a great trip!

SychoSly Nov 18, 2014 9:42 am

Marriott has properties at all the locations you mentioned.

apagan4182 Nov 19, 2014 9:09 am

Originally Posted by farbster (Post 23860139)
SPG is a great option. We did a trip staying at Westins in Rome and Florence and the Danieli in Venice. Cash and points would help you stretch your points with SPG.

Also, look at a card like Barclay Arrival as that give you points that can be redeemed against travel.

Hilton also has a Waldorf in Rome and there are plenty of cards for that I'm sure.

have a great trip!

Thanks. I'll look into getting the business SPG card to help top off my account.
I actually have the Barclay Arrival card and recently used my points to help book a flight to Panama over the holidays.

84fiero Nov 19, 2014 9:44 am

Originally Posted by apagan4182 (Post 23859698)
We are planning a trip to Italy in 2015 and I'm looking at suggestions on which hotel programs or credit cards I should look at to earn free nights in Italy.

We are traveling to Rome, Naples, Venice and Florence. I currently have point balances with Hyatt (which doesn't help since we are not going to Milan), SPG credit card (only 32,000 points) and IHG.

Choice Hotels looks like an option in Italy, but just wanted to get everyone's thoughts and suggestions?

I'd look at the properties with the different programs in your cities, see what the points per night would be for your timeframe, and decide what CC options would work best for you (and assuming you'd have enough time to earn the bonuses when you need them).

howtofreetravel Nov 19, 2014 11:02 am

Hilton cards give a lot of free nights