Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Last minute vacation from NYC - where to go / where to book?

Old Nov 7, 14, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold

Hi all,

I am looking to book a very last minute vacation with a friend of mine - he will be leaving from LAX, I will be leaving from NYC. He'll probably buy revenue tickets, but I'd like to burn some miles that I have if possible. We're flexible on destination, but considering Southeast Asia (Singapore / Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam), Hong Kong, or Central America. We plan to fly out separately Friday 12/5 or Saturday 12/6, and return to New York together Sunday 12/14.

I have the following rough point balances:
AA 700k
UA 120k
US 100k
BA 25k

UR 330k
MR 165k
SPG 80k

Any suggestions on a destination as well as how to best use my miles? Ideally, we'd like to check out a few different cities / countries on our trip. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Nov 7, 14, 11:46 am

What kind of things do you want to do? Other than visit different cities/countries?

I'm looking at your large AA balance and think something good for Cathay in biz/first?
Old Nov 7, 14, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Any suggestions on a destination as well as how to best use my miles?"

The best use of miles might depend on which destination you choose (as well as which carriers have award-seat availability to/from your destination on your desired dates of travel).

Figure out where you want to go first -- and which airlines have award-seat availability -- and then we can advise you on the best use of your existing miles. If you decide on Asia and can find availability on AA, CX, or JL (or some combination of them), then AA miles will likely provide the best value.
Old Nov 7, 14, 1:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by midnightinharlem View Post
Hi all,

I am looking to book a very last minute vacation with a friend of mine - he will be leaving from LAX, I will be leaving from NYC. He'll probably buy revenue tickets, but I'd like to burn some miles that I have if possible. We're flexible on destination, but considering Southeast Asia (Singapore / Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam), Hong Kong, or Central America. We plan to fly out separately Friday 12/5 or Saturday 12/6, and return to New York together Sunday 12/14.

Any suggestions on a destination as well as how to best use my miles? Ideally, we'd like to check out a few different cities / countries on our trip. Thanks in advance for your help.
You're only going to have a week, and if you fly to Asia you're going to lose 2 days in transit right off the bat. I think you should pick 1 spot and stick to it (1 city and surrounding country), or at most, 2 cities near each other like Ho Chi Minh & Phnom Penh, Singapore & Kuala Lumpur. Central America would leave you with more time at the destination.
Old Nov 7, 14, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Costa Rica
Old Nov 7, 14, 3:02 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
Anywhere but Costa Rica. Your time frame is high season for robbing Christmas bonuses. I am counting down the days until December first, the official opening day of aguinaldo robbing season. One of my co workers was robbed twice on the same block. Told the second robber that he was out of luck as the guy up the block had already taken his money and phone. Pura Vida!!!!
Old Nov 10, 14, 4:15 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
For a week vacation I would not go any farther than Europe. Since it is December Europe may not be the best. Maybe Peru. Its warm and lots to see there
Old Nov 10, 14, 6:01 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Obviously with him on the west coast and you on the east, you're going to have asymmetrical flying times no matter where you choose. I would hesitate about SE Asia with only a week - too many hours (for both of you) in transit.

Two thoughts come to mind. First is the Yucatan. Visit Merida, Chichen Itza, Tulum... You could fly into Cancun (but I wouldn't stay there) but once you're away from the beachfront glitz, the country (and Merida itself) is fascinating and beautiful.

Second, Andalusia. Fly to Gibraltar or Malaga from London, get a car, and stay near Tarifa. There are white villages like Vejer de la Frontera or Medina Sidonia, Roman ruins, beautiful beaches, frequent ferries Morocco. The weather will be decent - not hot but not cold, the food good, and it's quite inexpensive in the off-season. If you want, Seville is only an hour or two away.

Some photos of the area from a trip we took in February a couple of years ago - http://gardyloo.us/February%202012.htm Highly recommended.

Search this Thread