Sweet spot for KIX-BKK?

Old Oct 21, 14, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Sweet spot for KIX-BKK?

Hello all,

Looking to go KIX-BKK two seats in Business Class, and am having trouble coming up with the best way to do it. Only two carriers seem to go there direct: JAL and Thai. Thai seems to not have any award availability for that route anytime during the window I'm trying to go, however JAL seems to have good availability. AA miles would seem like the easiest way to go, however I am short the required AA miles. US Air unfortunately doesn't do one-way awards, and I'm not sure when they will convert to AA miles. I looked into Amex MR transfer to BA, however the fuel surcharge is kinda steep. I'm hoping to find something for 30k points each or less with little to no fuel surcharges. I've seen Aeroplan due to considering Japan and Thailand as the same zone is only 15k points each way, however they have high surcharges on Thai and there's no J class availability anyways.

Here is what I am working with as far as points, any advice on what could transfer to accomplish this would be appreciated:

Amex MR: 103k in one account, 58k in another
Chase UR: 44k in one account
US Air: 66k in one account, 40k in another
AA: 44k in one account, 3k in another
SPG: 55k (last resort, would rather not turn these into AA miles, as they are more valuable used elsewhere. These also can only transfer to the AA account with 3k in it, not the one with 44k)

Last edited by cascade; Oct 21, 14 at 3:07 pm
Old Oct 21, 14, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Are you particular about going direct? I don't think AC charges YQ on CA.
Old Oct 21, 14, 3:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by cascade View Post
Hello all,

Looking to go KIX-BKK two seats in Business Class, and am having trouble coming up with the best way to do it. Only two carriers seem to go there direct: JAL and Thai. Thai seems to not have any award availability for that route anytime during the window I'm trying to go, however JAL seems to have good availability. AA miles would seem like the easiest way to go, however I am short the required AA miles. US Air unfortunately doesn't do one-way awards, and I'm not sure when they will convert to AA miles. I looked into Amex MR transfer to BA, however the fuel surcharge is kinda steep. I'm hoping to find something for 30k points each or less with little to no fuel surcharges. I've seen Aeroplan due to considering Japan and Thailand as the same zone is only 15k points each way, however they have high surcharges on Thai and there's no J class availability anyways.

Here is what I am working with as far as points, any advice on what could transfer to accomplish this would be appreciated:

Amex MR: 103k in one account, 58k in another
Chase UR: 44k in one account
US Air: 66k in one account, 40k in another
AA: 44k in one account, 3k in another
SPG: 55k (last resort, would rather not turn these into AA miles, as they are more valuable used elsewhere. These also can only transfer to the AA account with 3k in it, not the one with 44k)
You've already got your options figured out. Either pay fewer miles and more money, or more miles and less money. You've got the SPG points, so transfer them to AA and you're done. Seems to me you're valuing some potential future usage of SPG points over an actual current need.
Old Oct 21, 14, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
With it being a 6 hour direct flight, Im hoping to not connect otherwise I lose basically a full day re-positioning.
Old Oct 21, 14, 4:27 pm

ANA award chart on ANA KIX-NRT-BKK-NRT-KIX is 55/60/65k depending on season. Can transfer from MR. If you use the partner award chart itll be 63k for business and you can route KIX-TPE-BKK, KIX-PEK-BKK, KIX-ICN-BKK, KIX-HKG-BKK etc.

BA from MR and UR on JL/CX KIX-HKG-BKK for 70k r/t per person

Personally, suck it up, use a 30k USAir Asia 1 biz round trip to HKG, and take LCC to BKK. Stay in HKG for a few days. Long-haul miles a lot more worth it, unless you have a shitload of miles.'

Edit on second look combine US and BA:

US KIX-HKG-KIX 30k CX/JL J 30k US
BA HKG-BKK-HKG 30k JL J 30k BA from either UR/MR -> 60k

Last edited by ktkw; Oct 21, 14 at 4:42 pm
Old Oct 21, 14, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Just need a one-way from Japan to Thailand. After BKK, will be heading over to Koh Samui for a few days. After Koh Samui, headed to HKG (my return flight from Asia back to the US is on CX at the end of my trip)
Old Oct 22, 14, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

The YQ isnt terrible on TG or NH, and AC counts Thailand and Japan as the same zone and thus it's only 15k each way for J, the problem is that NH and TG don't show me availability in Business despite the fact that the flights are wide open.
Old Nov 3, 14, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

I've tried looking at other dates throughout the year, and flat out cannot find even one J seat open on any TG flights direct from KIX-BKK. They show plenty of Y and F though. Does TG just flat out not open any J availability on certain routes?
Old Nov 4, 14, 10:40 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by cascade View Post
Who owns the AA account with the 44K balance? If it's someone at the same household address as you, then you can first transfer your SPG points to that person's SPG account...then they can transfer their SPG points to AA miles. (Neither step is instantaneous, IME it takes a week or so to transfer SPG-to-SPG accounts and maybe as long going to AA. YMMV)

Originally Posted by PHLisa View Post
You've already got your options figured out. Either pay fewer miles and more money, or more miles and less money. You've got the SPG points, so transfer them to AA and you're done. Seems to me you're valuing some potential future usage of SPG points over an actual current need.

Search this Thread