FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Flight changes, any options? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1621369-flight-changes-any-options.html)

D2travel Oct 17, 2014 12:31 pm

Flight changes, any options?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, but have checked these forums from time to time in search of information. I hope I'm in the right area.

I purchased two RT first class tickets with Delta from Birmingham to Las Vegas with a change in ATL, to be used for an extended weekend birthday celebration. When I purchased the tickets, I was supposed to arrive in LAS at 4:28 pm. I received a change in flight notice from Delta changing the original flight to arrive at 5:43 pm. Okay, a little later, but no big deal.

This past week I received yet another change in flight notice and the new arrival time will be at 6:24 pm. Now my celebratory time is getting shorter and the layover time in ATL is getting longer.

Do I have any options here? I'm not the one changing it, Delta keeps changing the flight number and arrival time. It's a non-changeable, non-refund ticket. I did purchase travel insurance in case of any weather or other disruptions, though that's not the issue here. I don't think I should have to pay change fees if Delta keeps changing the flight times. I really don't want to spend over 4 hours in ATL. Any advice? Thanks for any help!

nomii Oct 17, 2014 2:05 pm

First, go on delta.com and find an alternate flight you're happy with, note down the flight time & flight number.

Then, give Delta a call and say the change will prevent you from attending <whatever> and they should be able to put you on the alternate flight. If first person gives issues, nicely hang up and try again after an hour.

Yoshi212 Oct 17, 2014 2:10 pm

Firstly look to see if there are flights via Delta that appeal to you. Then call and ask them to switch you because of the 2 schedule changes. Most agents will be able to do this with ease. If there is not a better schedule on Delta but on another airline you can ask them about putting you on that flight (a rather small chance of this happening). If they say no to that inquire about a refund and go about purchasing the schedule you want on your own.

JPG3392 Oct 17, 2014 5:43 pm

The advice posted above is very helpful, but here's one further comment. Your notifications from Delta probably ask you to accept their proposed changes. Do not accept the changes. Instead, phone and ask for your preferred alternative.

D2travel Oct 18, 2014 11:47 am

Thanks!

I called Delta and explained the new itinerary's arrival time was too late compared to my originally scheduled flight and they changed it at no charge to me - YAY! The change requires that I depart BHM on an earlier flight in order to make the newly rescheduled flight, but at least I won't have a long layover in ATL!

Thanks for the help! ^ :D

MSPeconomist Oct 19, 2014 9:11 am

Originally Posted by noamaan (Post 23693767)
First, go on delta.com and find an alternate flight you're happy with, note down the flight time & flight number.

Then, give Delta a call and say the change will prevent you from attending <whatever> and they should be able to put you on the alternate flight. If first person gives issues, nicely hang up and try again after an hour.

What's the rationale for your advice to wait an hour before calling back?