Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to Get Navy Personnel Home For Christmas- need help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

I am trying to get a member of the Navy home for Christmas. Travel this time of year is tough schedule wise using points and expensive both point wise and cash wise.

I have tried various airlines and booking portals including Chase Ultimate Reward and AMEX travel booking sites. Tried most of the airlines directly as well. What I don't know how to do is use some of the various backdoor methods to book cheaper tickets. Using other airline sites like AVIOS etc can turn up some good deals. If anyone is sitting around the airport or something and is well versed in booking special deals could they please assist.

I have a lot of points in Chase UR, SPG, AA, USair and some AMEX MR. A cheap cash ticket is acceptable as well as I can use my Cap1 points to pay for it.

The schedule is leaving late on 12/19 and returning 12/27, back by midnight. Route SAN to ATL Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by toddreg; Oct 13, 2014 at 2:07 pm
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Might help if you provided the route. Also why dont they just book military fares?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Posted edited to add route.

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
Might help if you provided the route. Also why dont they just book military fares?
Thanks for pointing the oversight out. I am trying to use points to save them the money and the military fares I looked up were no better than standard fares, higher in some cases.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

Is this sailor stationed in Japan?
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Japan

No, SAN, but he is on the way back from a trip to Japan. Due in SAN on the 18th or 19th of December.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 13, 2014 at 4:17 pm
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:56 pm
Community Director Emerita

Nothing on UA either direction.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding "backdoor methods to book cheaper tickets". There are ticket consolidators, though I have no personal experience with them.

AAdvantage has availability but the lowest mileage rates are 25K for F SAN-ATL and 50K for AAnytime Y on the return.

Have you looked at availability from LAX? If he doesn't have a car he could hop Amtrak from SAN to LA Union Station for $37 one way (or transfer Chase UR to Amtrak Guest Rewards for 1,500 each way) and then take the bus to LAX.

Except for DL and US, you can redeem for one-way trips at 1/2 the RT price, so don't forget to consider a mix-and-match between programs.

Depending on how much you want to spend in cash and miles, you could pay cash one way and miles the other. You can redeem your Chase UR for cash airfare just like Cap1 - not the best use of UR and I wouldn't normally do it...but again, depending on your cash/miles budget and how important it is to make the trip happen, it may be worth considering.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
US (bookable via AA miles as a one-way) has availability @25K in First on 12/19.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:04 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

I would 100% book the Southwest nonstop flights for roughly 34,000 points transferred from your Ultimate Rewards account. You can refund the points to your Southwest account (though not all the way to your UR account) if you need to for some reason, but those are VERY peak days, and even the Southwest options are looking quite limited.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toddreg
I have a lot of points in Chase UR, SPG, AA, USair and some AMEX MR
12/19 and returning 12/27
SAN to ATL
southwest is showing availability on the nonstop flight for 34K
12/19 1:25PM 8:25PM 430 Nonstop 14,846
12/27 12:45PM 2:45PM 3251 Nonstop 19,144

delta has availability including nonstops but much higher 60K
but might be available for less through skyeam / delta partner
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the heads up

The LAX idea was a good one, a lot more options probably.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Here is an example I just stumbled upon that is a "back door" method I was referring to-

Redeem Virgin Atlantic points for Delta Flights:

You can also use your Virgin Atlantic miles for flights operated by partner Delta Airlines. Flights in the continental United States, Alaska, and Canada are just 25,000 miles round trip in economy or 45,000 round trip in domestic first. That isn’t bad factoring in the 35% transfer bonus from Membership Rewards at 19,000 Membership Reward points for a round trip.

To Hawaii, flights are 40,000 miles round trip on Delta in economy and 75,000 in domestic first. With the 35% transfer bonus that comes to around 30,000 Membership Reward points needed for a round trip award to Hawaii in Delta economy, which isn’t bad! Of course, the biggest limiting factor there is limited availability on saver awards to Hawaii on Delta. These awards also have to be booked over the phone with Virgin Atlantic.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
Military fares are no bargain. The only benefit is they are changeable with no penalty.

One exception may be WN, they might have a cheaper fare, based on some reports I have heard.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Military fares are no bargain. The only benefit is they are changeable with no penalty.

One exception may be WN, they might have a cheaper fare, based on some reports I have heard.
Well the military rates I have seen on the published city pairs program are pretty good fares if you ask me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.