FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Repercusions for dropping a leg? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1619589-repercusions-dropping-leg.html)

kestasx Oct 10, 2014 1:59 pm

Repercusions for dropping a leg?

Planning a run to Manila from LAX which will have a stop in HNL. What if any repercussions for dropping the HNL to LAX leg on the return portion? Will I get full credit for miles flown? Will I get on a list of bad flyers? I will be flying UA and I have 1K status. If this question is in the wrong forum, please point me to the right spot. Thanks

Doc Savage Oct 10, 2014 2:03 pm

You won't get miles for the HNL-LAX leg that you don't fly. You might not get miles for MNL-HNL without a satisfactory explanation for not flying the final leg. (Sorry to hear that you had the stomach flu.)

Otherwise, you should be ok.

kestasx Oct 10, 2014 3:58 pm

So if I understand what you are saying, credit for the MNL-HNL is at the discretion of? Will I see no credit on my account and have to call to discuss situation? I feel a bit nervous about it since I'm doing this run for miles and then meeting my wife in HNL. If I price the ticket with a stop it comes up $500 more. The round trip LAX-MNL is $750 and with the stop $1250. I can get an one way ticket HNL-LAX for around $250. Help....

MADPhil Oct 10, 2014 4:07 pm

How about an open jaw LAX-MNL MNL-HNL, how does that price for your dates? The small print says that UA can reprice your itinerary if you drop a segment and charge you any extra so there is a risk in dropping a segment. If it is not the last one then they cancel all subsequent segments but otherwise they often seem to let it pass if you don't make a habit of it, but there is a risk.

Often1 Oct 10, 2014 6:09 pm

What people are telling you, without saying so, is that what you propose to do, violates the fare rules. This would permit UA to refare the ticket and come after you for the fare difference. But, you are being told that this is very unlikely unless you do it often.

As to mileage, you will definitely not earn for any segment not flown. You are also being told that UA may take action by not crediting the first segment of your return or the entire trip out and back. UA could also theoretically zero out your MP account.

All of these are unlikely, but you do need to know that the risk is out there. There is nobody to call and discuss this with. If you ask UA, you will be told all of the above without an assessment of what will or will not happen.

kestasx Oct 10, 2014 7:31 pm

Thanks all, it's pretty clear to me now. Not worth the risk for $250.

LondonElite Oct 10, 2014 11:53 pm

You are not going to lose the miles in your UA account unless you do this regularly. Anyone can be sick and miss a flight.

kestasx Oct 13, 2014 2:30 pm

Good advice, thanks

LondonElite Oct 13, 2014 2:39 pm

If you're really bored, you'll find that this is probably the most debated topic on FT. Just do a search, but I doubt you'll be any closer to a hard truth than you are now!

stargold Oct 13, 2014 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 23657998)
You might not get miles for MNL-HNL without a satisfactory explanation for not flying the final leg. (Sorry to hear that you had the stomach flu.)

Emirates is the only airline I've come across which awards miles on a origin to destination basis, meaning that missing any segment will result in the miles for that half of the journey not being credited (in this case, MNL-HNL not being credited due to HNL-LAX not being flown).

Otherwise, every other airline I'm aware of awards miles based on each individual flight. Once you fly the segments for MNL-HNL, the miles will come regardless of whether you fly HNL-LAX.

Unless I'm missing something?