Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Booking Tokyo > LAX question!

Old Sep 30, 14, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, USairways, BA, United, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Plat , Marriott, Sixt Platinum

Hi all,

I have 30k miles with Alaska and 80k with AAdvantage. It appears that AA belongs to Oneworld which is shared with Cathay which would be an ideal return flight from Tokyo>LAX (one-way). What's the best way to go about doing this? Thanks so much
Old Sep 30, 14, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Redeeming AA miles for TYO-HKG-LAX would require two awards, as AA does not permit connections in Asia 2 on an Asia 1 to North America redemption. But JL is also in oneworld, so you can call AA and ask about availability on JL's TYO-LAX nonstops.

CX is also an AS partner, and AS might permit TYO-HKG-LAX on a single award, but I don't know how many miles AS requires for a TYO-HKG-LAX one-way.
Old Sep 30, 14, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're short some miles, you might be able to buy them from AA or AS respectively. This isn't cheap but can be worthwhile if you don't need many more miles for an available award ticket that works for you.
Old Sep 30, 14, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, USairways, BA, United, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Plat , Marriott, Sixt Platinum
I'm trying to buy 4 tickets for 25k each. I found the perfect 25k flight from AA but I'm short 25k. I have 30k in Alaska. I'd like to transfer my Alaska Airlines miles to my AA account which appears to not be possible. The next best alternative would be to buy the same AA flight with Alaska miles...anyway to do this?
Old Sep 30, 14, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by queensgambit
I'm trying to buy 4 tickets for 25k each. I found the perfect 25k flight from AA but I'm short 25k. I have 30k in Alaska. I'd like to transfer my Alaska Airlines miles to my AA account which appears to not be possible. The next best alternative would be to buy the same AA flight with Alaska miles...anyway to do this?
Maybe. I suggest that you immediately put three of the award seats you found on a free, five-day hold at aa.com. Then, check to see if AS permits redemptions on AA between the U.S. and Japan, and if so, for how many AS miles. If it's available for 30K AA miles or less, book the fourth award seat with your AS miles, and then finalize the ticketing on the three seats you have on hold at aa.com.
Old Oct 1, 14, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post

Maybe. I suggest that you immediately put three of the award seats you found on a free, five-day hold at aa.com. Then, check to see if AS permits redemptions on AA between the U.S. and Japan, and if so, for how many AS miles. If it's available for 30K AA miles or less, book the fourth award seat with your AS miles, and then finalize the ticketing on the three seats you have on hold at aa.com.
I'd do this in the opposite order, assuming that the 24 hour free cancel policy applies, and secure the ticket with AS miles first as that requires a more restricted inventory class. Taking three AA award tickets on the flight can cause the award space for AS miles to disappear even if a fourth AA award seat is still available,
Old Oct 1, 14, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe. I suggest that you immediately put three of the award seats you found on a free, five-day hold at aa.com. Then, check to see if AS permits redemptions on AA between the U.S. and Japan, and if so, for how many AS miles.,,,,
If you can get 3 awards on 1 flight with AA miles, when wanting 4, extremely unlikely a 4th will be available on the same flight with another ffp. Usual recommendation when wanting many award seats is spilt to 2 & 2 or 3 & 1 even if it means different days or different flights. 4 awards is a tough ask. Put awards on hold when you can: nothing to lose. Other people are also wanting award flights.
Old Oct 1, 14, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Maybe. I suggest that you immediately put three of the award seats you found on a free, five-day hold at aa.com. Then, check to see if AS permits redemptions on AA between the U.S. and Japan, and if so, for how many AS miles.,,,,
If you can get 3 awards on 1 flight with AA miles, when wanting 4, extremely unlikely a 4th will be available on the same flight with another ffp. Usual recommendation when wanting many award seats is spilt to 2 & 2 or 3 & 1 even if it means different days or different flights. 4 awards is a tough ask. Put awards on hold when you can: nothing to lose. Other people are also wanting award flights.
Perhaps I'm misreading Post #4, but it sounds like the OP has identified a flight that currently has four SAAver Coach seats available.
Old Oct 1, 14, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the info.

AA award chart shows 3 seats available for the 13th:
KIX > HNL operated by Hawaiin
HNL > LAX operated by AA

Yet when I search for the 13th on Alaska site there is no award availability. What gives? Any suggestions? I'm gonna lock up the 3 seats on AA for now.
Old Oct 1, 14, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by queensgambit
Thanks so much for all the info.

AA award chart shows 3 seats available for the 13th:
KIX > HNL operated by Hawaiin
HNL > LAX operated by AA

Yet when I search for the 13th on Alaska site there is no award availability. What gives? Any suggestions? I'm gonna lock up the 3 seats on AA for now.
HA is an AA partner, but it is not an AS partner.

Search this Thread