Wiki Posts
Search

Marketing your status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by tmelanio
Originally Posted by lin821
FWIW, if this is intent to be a commercial thread for OP's status or future service, this is what FT Rules say:

Commercial Posts

If this is meant for some charitable posts, we do have a Flyertalk Cares Forum for further discussion.
I am so new at this - I had to look up "OP". I have tried to keep the focus of my OP as to whether there is a market for for flight accompaniment - specifically if anyone has experience with it, and even more specifically any experience with the only two such services I could find - www.tlcfly.com and www.flyingcompanions.com . I also just found www.travelpartnerinternational.com . I have gotten a little off track in replying to responses to my OP, but my focus remains - Any one out there have experience with these guys? Apparently not. I cannot find customer reviews.
If that was what your intent was, you would have had better luck with a title other than "marketing your status." Check the Travel forums, as this is the Miles and Points information desk.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Adam1222
If that was what your intent was, you would have had better luck with a title other than "marketing your status." Check the Travel forums, as this is the Miles and Points information desk.
The first question in my OP, "marketing your status" was answered by UA -they do not prohibit such an undertaking by their elite fliers. My second related question, "Has anyone ever done this?" remained unanswered, so I asked if anyone had experience with actual flight accompaniment services, listing three of them. No related response except for yours to go somewhere else and change my title.
I am new at this. My attempt at a search in Travel Forums yielded nothing so that is why I posted at the Information Desk - " where no question is too dumb". Now you tell me I am at Miles and Points Info - I was unaware that more than one information desk exists and that I had somehow entered one mediated by you.

Thanks everyone for your replies, although it appears that "marketing your status" is something no one at FT has experience with. I have received solid advice as well as been immensely entertained. Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: DL, AA
OP - best of luck figuring out a way to capitalize on your status. Have you also considered courier services? Most of those have closed up shop but there might be companies / individuals who don't need to travel themselves but would appreciate your extra luggage space to ship something and pay you to see that the bags are delivered at the destination.

Originally Posted by tentseller
Besides airline status I also bring relavent skills and experience to the table. The NGO pay for all my trips on their behalf. I also have an official position and relavent title.
tentseller... relevant skills
I would have thought NGOs gave away the tents for free.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'd be worried about getting a C&D by using their name in whatever marketing materials you come up with.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by scoow
OP - best of luck figuring out a way to capitalize on your status. Have you also considered courier services? Most of those have closed up shop but there might be companies / individuals who don't need to travel themselves but would appreciate your extra luggage space to ship something and pay you to see that the bags are delivered at the destination.
Drug mule?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
After the refugees move back into permanent housing we need to deal with all the tents and temporary structures.

Shipping the tents back is not an option. The former occupant does not want them for having it around keep them from moving on.
The feeding and medical tents are taken back to local HQ to be cleaned, sanitized and pack for next calamity.

Last edited by tentseller; Sep 29, 2014 at 10:02 am
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tentseller
After the refugee move back into permanent housing we need to deal with all the tents and temporary structures.
So instead of a tent seller you're a tent disposer? Or at least a tent remover?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So instead of a tent seller you're a tent disposer? Or at least a tent remover?
That is the NGO part of my life!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:28 pm

The first question in my OP, "marketing your status" was answered by UA -they do not prohibit such an undertaking by their elite fliers. My second related question, "Has anyone ever done this?" remained unanswered, so I asked if anyone had experience with actual flight accompaniment services, listing three of them. No related response except for yours to go somewhere else and change my title.
I am new at this. My attempt at a search in Travel Forums yielded nothing so that is why I posted at the Information Desk - " where no question is too dumb". Now you tell me I am at Miles and Points Info - I was unaware that more than one information desk exists and that I had somehow entered one mediated by you.

Thanks everyone for your replies, although it appears that "marketing your status" is something no one at FT has experience with. I have received solid advice as well as been immensely entertained. Thanks.

As others have said, they most certainly will have a problem with you selling trademarked products and using their intellectual property to market you, and likely your account will be shut down the second time you book 8 completely different passengers on your MP number.

The perks of your elite status are not yours to sell.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:56 am
Original Poster

As others have said, they most certainly will have a problem with you selling trademarked products and using their intellectual property to market you, and likely your account will be shut down the second time you book 8 completely different passengers on your MP number.

As I related in three previous posts, I contacted United's customer care addressing this very concern - using my perks in an independent business venture. They gave their blessings and wished me well and thanked me for being 1K. I saved it and doubt I will ever need it in the future. Just like the 3 flight accompaniment services I referenced, I would advertise the service with perks and not the specific airline.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:51 am
Original Poster

I have considered courier services - it would be good to offer it it in addition to accompaniment services. In surfing courier info, wiki stated that large shipping companies like UPS will outsource to independent couriers during busy times of the year like Xmas. I have emailed and called UPS at several locations but no one seems to know what I am talking about. I also searched and found many companies who frequently use next day air services. None were interested in switching.
There is concern about unwittingly carrying contraband as a courier. It is not as bad as it appears. This is established courier procedure: Your client goes with you to check-in where you identify yourself as a courier. I read that this is nothing new to check-in personnel - it is common. Your client checks in the packages and receives the baggage claim ticket. I read that courier shipments are ALWAYS searched. Your client will fax or text the baggage claim ticket to his counterpart who will pick up at the destination. It is normal procedure for the courier to never touch the shipment. If there is a problem you will certainly be detained and questioned, but you will not be in as much trouble as if you checked it in as your own baggage.

I suppose if it were easy to cash in on your perks, a lot of elite fliers would be doing it. Right now, such prospects look grim.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:57 am

As I related in three previous posts, I contacted United's customer care addressing this very concern - using my perks in an independent business venture. They gave their blessings and wished me well and thanked me for being 1K. I saved it and doubt I will ever need it in the future. Just like the 3 flight accompaniment services I referenced, I would advertise the service with perks and not the specific airline.

If you think United Customer Care has the power to bless this, your services are not worth that much.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
I'd be worried about getting a C&D by using their name in whatever marketing materials you come up with.
Sorry for not clarifying. Like the three accompaniment services I referenced, I would promote a service with perks without any mention of a specific airline. I assumed that no one would think that I would make such a bonehead error, although I have certainly had my share in other areas.
I'm getting better - I figured out what C&D means by myself in just a minute.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:58 am
Original Poster

If you think United Customer Care has the power to bless this, your services are not worth that much.
What a personal response - sorry to have offended you. The 3 accompaniment services I referenced do indeed advertise the very perks I also possess. Like them, I would never mention the airline. They have been in business a long time. Such businesses are also based in London, and I suppose there are more all over the world. Why is my being their competition so vile to you?

I am sorry for paraphrasing Customer Care - the word blessing was not used. They stated that United has no policies prohibiting an elite flier from extending perks to clients in an accompaniment service. They wished me every success.

Why would extending perks be a problem when it is done so commonly by business fliers to their associates?

Such accompaniment businesses flaunting perks have been in business a long time. Who would you have me contact to further confirm that this is OK? Why do you think I even need to confirm this?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:48 am

Why? Implicitly you're selling your perks.

BTW, regarding the former airline employees possibly using their nonrev privileges to accompany people for pay, most nonrev policies forbid flying nonrev for any sort of business activity; the "free" flights, including buddy passes, are soley for personal/leisure travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.