Wiki Posts
Search

LAX to Australia - Reward Booking

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

So from my research this looks to be basically impossible to find a nice Business of First class seat on a trip to Australia from LA.

Any advice on where else I can look? Any possible weird routes that have worked for you?

Travel from mid-Nov to end-Nov beginning-Dec this year. (I know, way soon).

I have the following miles: 270K UR, 170 MR, 170 AA, 140 BA.

Thanks! Apologies if this isn't the correct forum.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:04 pm
Used to be highman123

United mileage plus still let's you route via Asia - try to find availability using asiana in F.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA
It depends how far in advance. You can find QF availability with your AA miles, especially in Business.

Or route LAX-HKG-SYD on CX. You'll be using two awards but it's not that unreasonable mile-wise.

Last year I found routings via HKG as suggested above, then was persistent in following up, and eventually found F availability both ways LAX-SYD on QF.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA
BTW I highly recommend the Award Expert Service on upgrd.com. Although on my mentioned flights I found the straightforward QF availability on my own, Matthew found a lot of alternatives that I never would have.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:14 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
You are in the holiday season... so most award seats are gone.... they may appear again a few weeks out....

What do you consider a "nice" seat? Airline or plane configuration?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wharvey
You are in the holiday season... so most award seats are gone.... they may appear again a few weeks out....

What do you consider a "nice" seat? Airline or plane configuration?
Anything other than coach/economy. Being a rather tall lad, I'd prefer to stretch out for the 15+ hour flight.

Cheers.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:58 pm

Don't forget that you can book one-way reward tickets on some airlines and fly out on one airline and back on another. CX bookings using AAdvantage miles allows this, for example. Just note that not all airlines will allow one-ways at half cost for partner awards even if they allow them for their own FFs (I think Asiana falls into this category but it's been a long time since I last checked).
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll take a look! I'd rather get flexible on the route/airlines than sit cramped for so long.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airlines that fly USA/Canada to Australia (most from LAX) are
- United (Star Alliance)
- Qantas (OneWorld Alliance)
- Delta (Skyteam Alliance) (VA partner)
- Virgin Australia (Delta partner)
- Hawaiian, via Hawaii (AA partner)
- Air NZ, via AKL (Star Alliance)
- Fiji Airways, via Fiji
- Air Tahiti Nui (last segments on codeshares) (AA partner)
- Air Canada

And others via Asia & Middle East
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:43 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this concerns the strategy for OP to use for a miles (award) ticket, I'll move the thread to the Information Desk for more assistance. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:38 pm

Availability on 11/12 LAX-SYD and 11/25 SYD-LAX both ways in United Business class, 140k miles R/T. Routing through Asia is another option with Star Alliance, though I didn't see a ton of options open when I just looked.

There is also availability on 11/9 LAX-BNE all in business class for 80k one way, going on Asiana/Thai...but would be 28 hours in the air.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by uszkanni
Don't forget that you can book one-way reward tickets on some airlines and fly out on one airline and back on another. CX bookings using AAdvantage miles allows this, for example. Just note that not all airlines will allow one-ways at half cost for partner awards even if they allow them for their own FFs (I think Asiana falls into this category but it's been a long time since I last checked).
This is no longer the case for OZ, as I booked a OW award through UA at half cost. Just note that during the winter holiday season OZ blocks a lot of partner award inventory and requires its members (except high-level elites) to use more miles to redeem awards
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: SQ
Like usual, everyone decides not to look at Delta's availability because it's a big pain to search.

First attempt:
NOV 10: LAX-ICN
NOV 12: ICN-SYD ---> 13 hour layover in SYD

NOV 27: SYD-BNE
NOV 27: BNE-LAX VA905/7

All in J and bookable on DL.com for 160,000 miles and about $200 in taxes.

Didn't look at CZ either or any of the other various partners that can be flown to Australia with Skyteam. I'd imagine there's CZ availability on practically every day for one person from LAX.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by jacobslide
I have the following miles: 270K UR, 170 MR, 170 AA, 140 BA.
(underline mine)

Was that a typo or did you actually have 3-digit miles/points in MR, AA and BA respectively?

If the latter, I don't think your MR, AA and BA balance will be of use for any award trip.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lin821
(underline mine)

Was that a typo or did you actually have 3-digit miles/points in MR, AA and BA respectively?

If the latter, I don't think your MR, AA and BA balance will be of use for any award trip.
Yup, the numbers are correct! Been binging! Now I suppose it's purging time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.