Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

AA Exp moving to JNB, what to do about FFP?

Old Sep 13, 14, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus

I apologize in advance for the slightly vague question - but I am sure I will get some useful perspective here.

I am an AA EXP based in GLA, 30k miles short now (with ~20k booked). I am moving to JNB in February, and since I'll be applying for a workp ermit middle of Dec, I only have 3 months to get the extra 10K. Now my travels will mostly involve JNB to GVA on work, and to DTW for personal reasons. I see about 6-7 of the former per year, and 2-3 of the latter, with some random travels thrown in.

Now if I keep AA EXP, I can use BA, but my new employers will prefer me booking the cheapest available to GVA, which looks like AF/KLM. SA is not really the the cheapest (at least from what I see), but I guess I can get *A status via Aegean. So I think I am trying to figure out if (1) making AA EXP is useful if I mostly fly BA (2) Should I go for a status match on a skyteam/*A and shift to mostly flying them to maintain status?

Thanks!
Old Sep 14, 14, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
In Africa, OW really doesn't have much of a presence. Your only options out of JNB are London 2x/day, Doha or Hong Kong.

Star Alliance at least gets you into Geneva quicker and easier via Swiss, and 1 stop access to North America via Ethiopian, Swiss, Lufthansa, Turkish, Air Egypt, or South Africa direct.

If Air France really is attractive, SkyTeam may be a better fit since you can go JNB-ATL direct, and both ATL and DTW are Delta hubs. You're kind of stuck on options to Europe (Air France and KLM are it) but at least you have Air Kenya operating in continent.
Old Sep 14, 14, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your question is not really a mile run topic. More a general which ffp type question.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

How long in RSA for? (months - years - for ever)
What class of travel?
If you are going to fly AF/KLM better to go with AS, due to AF/KLM being partners. http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx
Does DL fly to JNB?

Originally Posted by Boogie711 View Post
In Africa, OW really doesn't have much of a presence. Your only options out of JNB are London 2x/day, Doha or Hong Kong.
And Qantas
Old Sep 14, 14, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

As this does seem more of a multi-alliance earning query I've relocated it to the Information desk from Mileage Run Discussion for further debate. Good luck with the move.

Regards,

tcook052
Mileage Run Forum Moderator
Old Sep 14, 14, 9:50 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
What do you want out of an FFP? Upgrades? Redemption flights? Lounge access?

One thing to note is that South Africa has the lowest business class RTW prices with Oneworld, which might prove useful for trips to DTW or other places that you could combine with your European trips on occasion. Look at the Oneworld board for details and options with Oneworld RTW products.
Old Sep 14, 14, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, DL does fly to JNB, IIRC daily from ATL. You can also get there with connections using KLM/AF through AMS/CDG.

Search this Thread