Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Why is this so complicated? I just want to go on vacation.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is this so complicated? I just want to go on vacation.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I'm just wondering if they need to see the receipt fee when I leave EZE back to the US because in EZE I will have to show my US passport to fly back home. Have to do some research on that."

You have to use your U.S. Passport to enter the U.S. I'm not sure if you have to show your U.S. passport when departing Argentina for the U.S.
I'm pretty sure I'll have to show my US passport at the airport in EZE to get back home. I'm not sure if they will ask for the receipt there. I don't see why they would, unless the receipt is attached to the passport like a visa would be.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I assume you would have to show your U.S. passport to the airline check-in representative at EZE. But are you sure you can't just show your French passport to the EZE out-migration inspector? (I don't know the answer to that question; I'm just posing it for you to look into.)
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

I assume you would have to show your U.S. passport to the airline check-in representative at EZE. But are you sure you can't just show your French passport to the EZE out-migration inspector? (I don't know the answer to that question; I'm just posing it for you to look into.)
That's what I do when I exit CDG, so yeah, US for airline, French for out-migration. Fun stuff
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

I caved! After trying all sorts of combinations with different carriers, I caved and will leave from LAX. The flight is the shortest: LAX-SAL-LIM-MVD with only 1h30 connect time in SAL and LIM, and business all the way, total 17hrs. It leaves LAX at 6:30am which is a problem for me but i'll figure something out, but arrives at 5:30am in MVD which means I'll have not lost an entire day. It's really the best flight.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, it helped A LOT.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattr12
It leaves LAX at 6:30am which is a problem for me but i'll figure something out
When a couple years ago I got an early morning flight from SAN that I couldn't get from (or was way way way more expensive from) LAX (I don't remember which, I just got an affordable hotel near SAN and drove down there the previous evening. I was in business on the plane, so I was going to get breakfast on the plane, so I didn't worry about the hotel not having breakfast or not starting breakfast early enough for me, I just needed a place to sleep from which I could get to the airport early. The modest cost of the hotel more than made up for the savings I got by flying from SAN instead of LAX in that case.

So you may want to look into that in the reverse way. You can get decent LAX airport hotels (meaning on the airport side of the 405!) starting around $100ish, sometimes even $80ish, depending on day of week, season, how far ahead you book, etc. And since you're on a 6:30 am flight in business class, you'll get breakfast on the flight too.

... Although you'd think that driving from San Diego to LAX in the middle of night (the obvious alternative) you'd get no traffic, think again. That's when CALTRANS loves to shut down multiple lanes, ramps, or even entire freeways!

LAX-SAL-LIM-MVD with only 1h30 connect time in SAL and LIM, and business all the way, total 17hrs. It leaves LAX at 6:30am which is a problem for me but i'll figure something out, but arrives at 5:30am in MVD
Your math doesn't seem right. Uruguay is only 4 hours east of California, so 17 hours plus 4 hours is 21 hours, and 21 hours after 6:30 am would 3:30 am in MVD. So either you leave later than 6:30, or you arrive earlier than 5:30, or your total flight time including connections is 19 hours, not 17 hours.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 29, 2014 at 9:23 pm
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Your math doesn't seem right. Uruguay is only 4 hours east of California, so 17 hours plus 4 hours is 21 hours, and 21 hours after 6:30 am would 3:30 am in MVD. So either you leave later than 6:30, or you arrive earlier than 5:30, or your total flight time including connections is 19 hours, not 17 hours.
You're forgetting about Daylight Saving Time. In the fall, after California falls back and Uruguay, being in the southern hemisphere, springs ahead, the time difference is 6 hours. As if factoring in time zone changes weren't annoying enough already.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:37 pm
Suspended

I caved! After trying all sorts of combinations with different carriers, I caved and will leave from LAX. The flight is the shortest: LAX-SAL-LIM-MVD with only 1h30 connect time in SAL and LIM, and business all the way, total 17hrs. It leaves LAX at 6:30am which is a problem for me but i'll figure something out, but arrives at 5:30am in MVD which means I'll have not lost an entire day. It's really the best flight.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, it helped A LOT.
The only problem you might have with that itinerary is getting some sleep. With two stops and three relatively short flights (each about 4:30~5 hours) you have hardly any time to rest.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:40 am
Original Poster

... Although you'd think that driving from San Diego to LAX in the middle of night (the obvious alternative) you'd get no traffic, think again. That's when CALTRANS loves to shut down multiple lanes, ramps, or even entire freeways!
Yes I've been stuck on the 405 at 3am..

It's probably a DST thing:

LAX->SAL 6:30->13:35 Duration 5h.
SAL layover 1h30
SAL->LIM 15:08->20:28 Duration 4h20mn
LIM Layover 1h24
LIM->MVD 21:52->05:27 Duration 4h35mn

Total 16h52mn
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
The only problem you might have with that itinerary is getting some sleep. With two stops and three relatively short flights (each about 4:30~5 hours) you have hardly any time to rest.
Yes, it was this or 7 hour layover in SAL, or 11h layover in LAX, or even shorter flights with even more hops, etc.. I couldn't find a long flight like the 10h30 one I have when I return.

I cannot sleep in planes, so I usually take a 5 hour nap at arrival, but here I arrive very early, without possibility of the accommodation being ready. I'll try not to collapse!

Any suggestion for this, btw? Any tip on how to stay awake after this type of flight? At least the time change is not too dramatic.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:54 am

Any suggestion for this, btw? Any tip on how to stay awake after this type of flight? At least the time change is not too dramatic.
Drive up to LA and spend the night in an airport hotel there before your early morning flight.

Otherwise you will be so sleep deprived you will probably get sick on your trip. And even if you don't get sick, you'll feel miserable for most of it.

If you start out reasonably rested, your system will recover much faster.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 466SHH
Drive up to LA and spend the night in an airport hotel there before your early morning flight.

Otherwise you will be so sleep deprived you will probably get sick on your trip. And even if you don't get sick, you'll feel miserable for most of it.

If you start out reasonably rested, your system will recover much faster.
^
Also, I suggest to just book a half day or day early in MVD. When you get to your hotel around 6:30 am, stay in bed until late morning.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:42 am
Original Poster

466SSH, sounds like a good idea.
dieuwer2, I didn't think it was possible, I will check how that works, i'd love to have a nice 6:30am->11:30am nap, then be fresh and visit Montevideo!

THanks for the tips !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.