Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Why is this so complicated? I just want to go on vacation.

Why is this so complicated? I just want to go on vacation.

Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The trip down sounds brutal. If you haven't booked it yet, I would just use Aeroplan for the EZE-IAH-SAN part of the trip, and try to use Avios for LAX-MIA-MVD on AA; LAX-GRU-MVD on AA/TAM; or LAX-SCL-MVD on LAN (if available).
Yes, i'm playing with it, haven't booked yet, I found other options that have long layovers but less flights, so i'm reading FlyerTalk about taking advantage of long layovers to visit a city, too

I like your idea a lot, I will check that, I didn't think about using Aeroplan going up and Avios going down. I really appreciate the tips I'm getting here, it's wonderful. ^

Problem with LAX is that going to LAX from San Diego depends on traffic that can go from 1h30 to 6 hours. There is no train that does the trip, but I can take a chance with a bus and give me a few hours.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Don't forget the Visa for Argentina. You have to obtain it before leaving. $140-$160 for US Citizens, I think.

And remember to check out your flights within Latin America. Many airlines codeshare, so you may get a Copa/Avianca flight for many of the shorter hops. Some of their planes are fine, others, no so luxurious.

I took the Copa flights LAX-PTY-EZE a number of years back. They were basically US Domestic first class flights. Not horrible, but not anything I'd book unless there were no other options.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Well, you could take Amtrak to LA Union Station, and then the Fly Away bus from there. But that would probably take around four hours. A one-way car rental is another possibility.

In terms of long "layovers," remember that BA -- unlike most other FFPs -- charges for each flight flown, so you can actually stop over for a day, a week, or longer on an Avios redemption (maybe in MIA, maybe in GRU, or maybe in SCL).
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by mattr12
Yes, i'm playing with it, haven't booked yet, I found other options that have long layovers but less flights, so i'm reading FlyerTalk about taking advantage of long layovers to visit a city, too .
Please tell me you've booked that nice EZE-IAH-SAN return trip! You don't want to risk losing it!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by artemis
Yes, i'm playing with it, haven't booked yet, I found other options that have long layovers but less flights, so i'm reading FlyerTalk about taking advantage of long layovers to visit a city, too .
Please tell me you've booked that nice EZE-IAH-SAN return trip! You don't want to risk losing it!
+1.

If the OP is definitely making this trip, he should book the EZE-IAH-SAN trip with Aeroplan now, and decide on the award redemption to MVD later today or tomorrow.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

+1.

If the OP is definitely making this trip, he should book the EZE-IAH-SAN trip with Aeroplan now, and decide on the award redemption to MVD later today or tomorrow.
I made a small mistake, it's EZE-IAH-DEN-SAN, but it's still 19h30, and only 45700 points! IAH-DEN is not business, i don't care about that, the total flight time is great and I get the 10h30 flight from EZE to IAH in biz. So I know when I return, that's a good start, now I have to figure out when I leave

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Don't forget the Visa for Argentina. You have to obtain it before leaving. $140-$160 for US Citizens, I think.
I saw it, but I have dual citizenship so I will avoid that. When I go from MVD to EZE (I will take their new ultra fast ferry, it should be interesting) I'll show my French passport. Yes, i'm cheap.

I don't know how you FT deal with all this when you have to do this so often. I'm impressed by your knowledge, but I guess you travel so much you know the tricks of the trade.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Aug 28, 2014 at 10:10 pm Reason: Merged multiple posts
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That $160 is not for a visa.

http://www.argentinafees.com/

http://embassyofargentina.us/embassy...rocityfee.html

First of all, no visa is required for US Citizens visiting Argentina for less than 90 days.

However. you do have pay a "reciprocity fee" (that's not the same thing as a visa), which is $160, and you do have to pay it online in advance, and bring a printout of the receipt with you on your trip.

(This has changed fairly recently. As of a couple years ago, you pretty much only had to pay if flying into EZE. I visited back then flying into Brazil -- where you do need an actual visa in advance -- and crossing by land at Iguazu Falls, and back then I didn't have to pay. But these days you have to pay no matter how and where you enter Argentina.)

However, like a visa:

The fee is valid for 10 years from the date of payment, and for multiple entries for U.S. citizens. So don't get it way too early, in case you want to visit Argentina again 9.7 years after your first visit.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
That $160 is not for a visa.

http://www.argentinafees.com/

http://embassyofargentina.us/embassy...rocityfee.html

First of all, no visa is required for US Citizens visiting Argentina for less than 90 days.

However. you do have pay a "reciprocity fee" (that's not the same thing as a visa), which is $160, and you do have to pay it online in advance, and bring a printout of the receipt with you on your trip.

(This has changed fairly recently. As of a couple years ago, you pretty much only had to pay if flying into EZE. I visited back then flying into Brazil -- where you do need an actual visa in advance -- and crossing by land at Iguazu Falls, and back then I didn't have to pay. But these days you have to pay no matter how and where you enter Argentina.)

However, like a visa:

The fee is valid for 10 years from the date of payment, and for multiple entries for U.S. citizens. So don't get it way too early, in case you want to visit Argentina again 9.7 years after your first visit.
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...
I asked the question in another forum. If I show my French passport when I cross from Montevideo to Buenos Aires, then I won't have to pay the fee.

It's not that important, I can pay the $160 if needed. But if I can avoid it, then why not.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: SQ
Here's a thought, transfer the points to Delta.

TIJ-MEX-EZE-MVD-EZE (stop)-home. One ticket
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I asked the question in another forum. If I show my French passport when I cross from Montevideo to Buenos Aires, then I won't have to pay the fee.

It's not that important, I can pay the $160 if needed. But if I can avoid it, then why not.
If you have checked it out, then you should be fine. I've heard of people being refused at US airports without the "non-visa" receipt. It's nice to have another passport that saves you some money.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"I've heard of people being refused at US airports without the "non-visa" receipt."

Since the OP plans to initially fly to Uruguay -- not Argentina -- this should not be an issue, especially if traveling on separate award tickets (which he can easily do).
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:20 am
Original Poster

"I've heard of people being refused at US airports without the "non-visa" receipt."

Since the OP plans to initially fly to Uruguay -- not Argentina -- this should not be an issue, especially if traveling on separate award tickets (which he can easily do).
Yes, I'm entering MVD with the French Passport, then at MVD's Ferry to go to Argentina I show my French passport (apparently the passport check for Argentina is done on the Uruguay side, like Canada to USA), so the French passport will have the stamps. I don't think using my US passport at check-in in SAN but using my French passport in MVD entry should be a problem, I do that all the time when I do SAN-CDG. In the US, if customs ask where is the stamp, I'll tell them I used the French passport to avoid the fee. Be honest, I guess, it's nothing illegal.

I'm just wondering if they need to see the receipt fee when I leave EZE back to the US because in EZE I will have to show my US passport to fly back home. Have to do some research on that.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"I'm just wondering if they need to see the receipt fee when I leave EZE back to the US because in EZE I will have to show my US passport to fly back home. Have to do some research on that."

You have to use your U.S. Passport to enter the U.S. I'm not sure if you have to show your U.S. passport when departing Argentina for the U.S.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Here's a thought, transfer the points to Delta.

TIJ-MEX-EZE-MVD-EZE (stop)-home. One ticket
Tried delta with different combinations, but either the miles requested was way too high or the total time was like 50 hours Also, they don't fly MVD (not in market it says).

Tried Aeromexico, but no MVD either. I found that a bit puzzling. I'm sure that Delta & Aeromexico have partner airlines that fly to MVD?

COPA doesn't show up anywhere on ua.com, they say they're working on resolving the issue and the only way is to call them. However, their offer on LAX->MVD is not practical at all (arrive at 1:38am with a 19h layover in PTY )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.