FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Least expensive premium class from USA to India? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1596000-least-expensive-premium-class-usa-india.html)

kdern Jul 20, 14 12:42 pm

Least expensive premium class from USA to India?
 
Hi -

I'm flying from STL to India in October or November. I have 120k miles on American, which is enough to get a free RT flight to Delhi (seats avail in Nov) but I would like to fly in premium economy or business class.

What's my best and least expensive business class option to fly to India? (I might fly in and out of Delhi, or possibly into Delhi and home from Mumbai.)

I'd love to fly business class on American so I get the points but business class is around $5000. United has a nonstop from NY to DEL but I don't see a premium economy option. Maybe they have economy plus? Even if they do, I'm thinking that the price of a coach ticket plus upgrade to economy plus would only be a few hundred less than premium economy on British Air or Virgin Atlantic - either of which would probably be much roomier.

Looks to me like premium economy may be my best option... BA and VA both have options around $2400 RT to Delhi. (Which is better?)

Is there another option I should consider?

Thanks!

danhunterpost Jul 20, 14 12:48 pm

Try searching cities on ITA Matrix, it will search all flight, very good tool but not bookable from here, you can find the routing but will have to rebuild on an OTA or taken them to a live TA for booking.

Duke787 Jul 20, 14 1:07 pm


Originally Posted by danhunterpost (Post 23227069)
Try searching cities on ITA Matrix, it will search all flight, very good tool but not bookable from here, you can find the routing but will have to rebuild on an OTA or taken them to a live TA for booking.

Use google.com/flights - it's powered by the ITA Matrix (both platforms owned by google) so you can typically feed the ITA information into google.com/flights and book it there (though for BA and other foreign carriers it still might make you call the airline or go through an OTA).

A quick ITA search shows Premium Economy for a random 7-10 day trip in Oct / Nov is about $2.1k on BA while regular Economy looks to be about $1.2k on UA. If you are comfortable with E+ on UA it'll definitely be a few hundred dollars cheaper but it's not a separate class of service the way Premium Economy is on BA.

Since you also have an existing AA account, flying BA will benefit you in being able to credit back to that and you'll also get a 10% class of service bonus and 1.5 EQPs if you're in play for any status qualification. On the flip side VA can be credited to DL but I find DL to be a pretty worthless program. So from a mileage perspective I would say BA is a better option

guv1976 Jul 20, 14 3:01 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)


Originally Posted by kdern
Hi -

I'm flying from STL to India in October or November. I have 120k miles on American, which is enough to get a free RT flight to Delhi (seats avail in Nov) but I would like to fly in premium economy or business class.

What's my best and least expensive business class option to fly to India? (I might fly in and out of Delhi, or possibly into Delhi and home from Mumbai.)

I'd love to fly business class on American so I get the points but business class is around $5000. United has a nonstop from NY to DEL but I don't see a premium economy option. Maybe they have economy plus? Even if they do, I'm thinking that the price of a coach ticket plus upgrade to economy plus would only be a few hundred less than premium economy on British Air or Virgin Atlantic - either of which would probably be much roomier.

Looks to me like premium economy may be my best option... BA and VA both have options around $2400 RT to Delhi. (Which is better?)

Is there another option I should consider?

Thanks!

If you can find a Business Class award seat on AA and any of its several partners that fly to DEL, you can just purchase another 15,000 AA miles, and redeem for the roundtrip in Business. But you would need to call AA to check availability on carriers like EY, QR, RJ, and 9W.

kdern Jul 20, 14 7:15 pm


Originally Posted by flyerdude88 (Post 23227126)
Since you also have an existing AA account, flying BA will benefit you in being able to credit back to that and you'll also get a 10% class of service bonus and 1.5 EQPs if you're in play for any status qualification. On the flip side VA can be credited to DL but I find DL to be a pretty worthless program. So from a mileage perspective I would say BA is a better option

Can you help me understand how this works? If I buy my ticket on BA, can the points be transferred over to my AA account? I am having trouble finding info about this online.

Seems like this may be a good option - I can fly in and out of DEL or into DEL and home from BOM for $2400 in October.

guv1976 Jul 20, 14 7:23 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"If I buy my ticket on BA, can the points be transferred over to my AA account?"

Your BA flights will be credited to your AAdvantage account as long as your AAdvantage number is in your BA reservation record. If you book at ba.com, you should be able add a frequent-flyer number from either BA's FFP, or the FFP of a BA partner (AA in your case).

Duke787 Jul 20, 14 8:56 pm


Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 23228453)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"If I buy my ticket on BA, can the points be transferred over to my AA account?"

Your BA flights will be credited to your AAdvantage account as long as your AAdvantage number is in your BA reservation record. If you book at ba.com, you should be able add a frequent-flyer number from either BA's FFP, or the FFP of a BA partner (AA in your case).

Yep nothing to add here except this link. It has more details about the arrangement:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...es/british.jsp

As guv1976 said - just look for the "add frequent flyer number" tab once you make your BA reservation, change the drop-down box to AA (or AAdvantage - not sure which it lists), and then enter your AAdvantage number in and you're all set.

If I'm ever worried about whether my miles might post, I just hang onto the ticket stub to be safe and there is a mileage request form you can fill out to make sure you get your miles (it's at the bottom of the page linked above)

kdern Jul 21, 14 12:41 pm

Just talked to AA - looks like there's lots of inventory that the phone reps can access that are not searchable online. The best option I could find is on Etihad Air in Business Class. I can fly STL - ORD - Abu Dhabi - DEL and back for about $500 total (I need to buy some miles to make it work).

British Air is an option too but the fees are $550 each way.

Is it worth $1000 more to fly British Air business class over Etihad?

Air Rarotonga Jul 21, 14 5:37 pm


Originally Posted by kdern (Post 23232119)
Is it worth $1000 more to fly British Air business class over Etihad?

Of course NOT!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:51 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.