Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Best site for fares where you don't have to put in a specific destination?

Old Jun 7, 14, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

I looked through everything I thought possible and couldn't find the link or tool that helps (it may not exist).

My wife and I have cabin fever and need to get away. We don't care where as long as it is relatively low cost (saving our pennies for the Netherlands next April).

Is there a tool / website where I can plug in my nearest airport (MCO) and find the cheapest flights from there? All of the other websites ask for a specific destination but we don't care where it is.

I have devoured tons of information for other trips we have taken and took advantage of a few deals!

Thank you in advance!

Kevin
Old Jun 7, 14, 7:07 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by LrdNorman View Post
Is there a tool / website where I can plug in my nearest airport (MCO) and find the cheapest flights from there?
Have you discovered airfarewatchdog.com?
Old Jun 8, 14, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Perfect

Exactly what I needed! Thank you!

Kevin
Old Jun 8, 14, 3:42 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Have you discovered airfarewatchdog.com?
AFWD is decent, but I find their signal-to-noise ratio is too low to make it worth bothering to read their site or email newsletters. They regularly email out newsletters jam-packed with sorta-kinda-just-barely-OK fares and do nothing to highlight the very good ones. So you might get a daily email newsletter for weeks with 20 fares in each newsletter before discovering that one good gem of a fare.

FareCompare.com used to be awesome at this before they screwed up their website. Now, I haven't even been to their site in a couple of years.

My new favorite is TheFlightDeal.com. They (like AFWD) do daily email newsletters for a specific origin without limiting it by destination, but they are much more focused on only including actually decently good deals. But although I am currently subscribed to the emails, I actually don't bother reading them (again, due to the signal-to-noise ratio, although it's dozens of times better than AFWD's). Instead, I've "liked" TFD on Facebook, and from that, they get my location from Facebook and then send out notifications based on that of only the really great fares. (I've also set up a bit more of a complex TFD-RSS-to-email-via-IFTTT thing to cast a bit of a wider net, and it seems to be working very well for now...I'll have to post some instructions on how to do that on FT sometime.)
Old Jun 8, 14, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist

google.com/flights
Old Jun 8, 14, 5:06 pm

Programs: EMT-P
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
My new favorite is TheFlightDeal.com. They (like AFWD) do daily email newsletters for a specific origin without limiting it by destination, but they are much more focused on only including actually decently good deals.

I've also set up a bit more of a complex TFD-RSS-to-email-via-IFTTT thing to cast a bit of a wider net, and it seems to be working very well for now
+1

I have the RSS-IFTTT for FT Mileage Run forum as well.
Old Jun 8, 14, 5:29 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by medichill View Post
+1

I have the RSS-IFTTT for FT Mileage Run forum as well.
As do I. I actually have two simultaneous IFTTT tests going: all MRD threads and then those matching keywords (so I have NYC, PHL, WAS, plus a few specific airport codes like IAD, EWR, etc.). The volume of new threads in MRD is actually less than I expected, so I will probably ditch the keyword ones at some point and just keep the all MRD threads one.

The downside (or perhaps, from an email volume perspective, a positive) of the RSS-IFTTT method is that it misses stuff posted in replies, so it'll miss things like good fares posted in the Good Deal Premium Fares thread. But that's probably an acceptable trade-off, as the vast majority of fares are posted as new threads.

Can't believe I'd never heard of IFTTT until about a month ago, when I stumbled across it for an unrelated reason and thought, "Wow, this is exactly what I need for airfare alerts!"
Old Jun 8, 14, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by LrdNorman View Post

Is there a tool / website where I can plug in my nearest airport (MCO) and find the cheapest flights from there?

Kevin
SkyScanner let's you search like this...

Outbound : MCO

Destination : Type "everywhere"

Date : you can select 'whole month' or 'whole year'

IMO the most open search I like. I often check cheap city pairs on here, then search further using the Google matrix (although its not necessary)
Old Jun 8, 14, 7:39 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
Another Skyscanner 'Everywhere' fan here.

And don't forget that Southwest doesn't share its fare database with third parties; you need to sign up for their sale newsletters and check for their cheap flights directly on their web site.
Old Jun 9, 14, 2:49 am

Apart from Skyscanner which I already knew, is there a website which can show me good deals from Doha? The previously mentioned websites only seem to be North America focussed. Thanks.
Old Jun 9, 14, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Absolutely incredible knowledge...

I have learned tons from you all. I'm going to try these and see where we go.

Thank you all again!
Old Jun 9, 14, 10:16 am

Programs: EMT-P
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
And don't forget that Southwest doesn't share its fare database with third parties; you need to sign up for their sale newsletters and check for their cheap flights directly on their web site.
But in the search results I see Southwest. Is that because readers have reported those fares as opposed to SkyScanner searching for those fares?
Old Jun 9, 14, 3:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
google.com/flights
+1 for this tool. You can enter country or continent info and it'll pull up an array of fares to major destinations.

One night last month I couldn't sleep because my infant son was squawking, so I played around on Google Flights while rocking him back to sleep... that's how I stumbled on the crazy Canada-HKG $450 rt deal on DL.
Old Jun 10, 14, 11:45 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Here's my list of sites for finding good fares when you don't know where to go:

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2013/...o-do-this.html
Old Jun 21, 14, 11:32 pm

Lrd, don't forget about TPA as a departure airport. Many times I have found it cheaper than MCO, and that is including rental car price to get there.

Search this Thread