Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Price increases, legs, CC rewards, runs... oh my

Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:43 am
Original Poster

I'm looking to buy a RT ticket from CLE or CAK to SMF on 8/6 arrival before 3pm with a late return flight on 8/17 (11:30pm 8/17 is fine).

2 weeks ago I was seeing tickets for $430, those same tickets are now over $700 with some over $1000.
Should I wait for prices to fall again or will they just keep rising?

I fly maybe 2 or 3 times a year and only have a Discover IT card.
At this point the only reward points I have are 7,511 miles on UA MP program.
Is it worth it to try and get a new CC before my flight to try and use some reward points?

Thank you ^
Old Jun 4, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

It is highly unlikely that any credit card you get today will yield sufficient points to assist with a booking for travel in early August. It typically takes at least one billing cycle for signup bonuses to post, and award travel for the summer is generally booked months in advance.

Unfortunately, Flyertalk is not a crystal ball, so we can't predict whether the fare you want will go up, down, or sideways.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

I suppose it would be better to get a card and buy the ticket with it, rather than try to use reward points? Are there one or two cards that are recommended the most?

Kayak is telling me there's an 80% chance prices will go down so I'll probably wait and see.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Striker9
I suppose it would be better to get a card and buy the ticket with it, rather than try to use reward points? Are there one or two cards that are recommended the most?

Kayak is telling me there's an 80% chance prices will go down so I'll probably wait and see.
take a look here for best current cc offers...you can always start obtaining miles for you next trip
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...scription.html
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep in mind, though, that the "advertised" miles for a round trip on credit cards are not available for anywhere near every flight, and at this point, even if you had miles, you'd very likely need to use about double the miles (for an "anytime", rather than "saver" award) to fly with miles, especially with as little flexibility as you seem to have with your date/time.

(Airlines like AA and UA have two kinds of awards: "saver" awards which cost fewer miles but are capacity controlled, and then "anytime" awards which cost about double the miles but allow you to book just about any seat on that airline's own flights -- though not on codeshare flight actually flown by other airlines.)

The key to being able to get both good fares and to use "saver" miles is to book further ahead and/or have much more flexibility with your travel dates/times.

FWIW, Southwest has slightly lower fares from CAK to SMF at the moment, but it doesn't have flights at the times that you want, just at other times on those days. Keep in mind that Southwest flights can only be seen on southwest.com, not on third-party sites like Kayak or Orbitz.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.